Going bear hunting

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by thumbuster, Aug 8, 2015.

1. thumbuster

thumbuster New Member

My first 44 mag was a Super Black Hawk. I got the S&W bug many moons ago and the old SBH slipped away. Recently I repaced it
    I've been hunting elk with a Hawken cap lock for a while and been crossing paths with numberous black bears. So now in addition to elk I got a special center fire tag concurrent with my smokepole elk tag. The chamber throats are perfectly matched with the bore and my new girl spits out the 240 lswc bullets over 1400fps across the screens @ one grain under Elmers favorite load. Accuracy is excellent
    I'm very happy.

Attached Files:

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are prepared.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Thumbuster,
    May I add a word of caution when hunting bear. I have hunted bear (black) for many years and I have learned that 1 shot is NOT enough to ensure a proper kill. The first shot should break the shoulder blade and then second should take out the heart/lung area. A bear can run faster than a quarter horse for over a mile when wounded (if he chooses to run). Others may stand their ground, especially if she has cubs that are less than 2 years old. You may not see the cubs as they may wander behind her. Secondly, carry a BIG handgun with you when approaching your kill. That bear may look dead but could be dazed and still alive. When approaching, you are presenting danger. I carried a Ruger Super Redhawk as my sidearm when approaching any bear dead or not. I have seen bear run over a mile with half their hearts blown out. The adrenaline will sustain them for a period of time. Other than the little lecture, (which I did not mean to do) have a sucessful hunt, safe and secure and remember it as a hunt of a lifetime. Every hunt I went on was that way for me. GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    Tommy

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Keep us posted on how the hunt goes.

Be careful out there with the bears, they can get nasty.

I have had them get up and run , after being hit straight on with 30-06,

Jim

5. thumbuster

thumbuster New Member

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice
    I have no experience with shooting bears and am very receptive to what's been said. I plan to be cautious.

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Handgun hunting. Sounds like a blast. 1400 FPS with a 240 gr, that is a blast!
    Looking forward to hearing about the adventure.

Happy Hunting, Stay Safe.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I like the wide meplat 260 grain bullet better than the one you are loading - but I've only punched paper with it, and read some opinions by people I haven't broken bread with, so have no more experience with black bears than you do. I hope you have good luck and a good time.

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

After seeing the pic of the bear at Jim's LGS and you all talking about bears I am glad not to be around them. I am afraid if I went hunting bears the bears would be better at hunting me.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    Them bears ain't gonna chase you! One look at you and when they hear you growl, they will head for the hills with their tails high in the air and sucking wind because they had to run so fast.:eek:

Tommy

10. dogkinkead

dogkinkead New Member

I hunt deer with a smoke pole, sort of, usually find a nice sunny spot on the side of the mountain and fall asleep. That said, there are a good bit of 'harmless' black bears wondering around where I hung and a nice compact LARGE caliber handgun goes with me. Prior choice was a Redhawk in 45 Colt with Georga Arms loads. Current choice for this year, if I can get around to loading for it is a brand new never been fired Alaskan in 480 Ruger. Due to old age and a very lot amount of shooting I have to download the 480, but a 400 grain bullet at 1000 fps will give me peace of mind.

11. phideaux

Let me tell ya something else, from experience,
    Bears, black or Brown,....they usually never run away if a cub or if food is envolved..

Be very careful , you mess with one eating, or a sow with a cub, they will attack, and they are VERY fast.

30+mph, and they are bouncing side to side and up and down, very difficult to place a shot.

Jim

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Never shot, or even shot at a bear, so I may be getting wrong signals here, I dunno. Been toying with a thought though...

Those critturs being so fast, including at the jump, does that make it advisable to practice shooting the handgun at distances beyond 25 yards? Just to instill confidence if nothing else? Seems like the usual 10 yard home defense range is too close.

13. phideaux

I have shot, and shot at Bear,

heres my take on shooting Bear,

If you have got 25 yrds + to shoot at a bear , you better have a GOOD high powered rifle.

IMHO... a handgun against a bear is (unless your a professional hunter) is a last ditch effort to save your butt...dont depend on the crap in your pants to detour him....it wont.;)

And that would usually be very UPCLOSE, because a handgun will really pizz off a bear at over 25 yrds, with the exception of a couple handguns, and the bear being small young bear.

Like I said , I have seen a large Black Bear (400lbs +) get up and run ,after a close up shot with 30-06. Go figger..

Jim

14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

thumbuster, From what I'm reading here, might I suggest taking a buddy along with you carrying a HIGH powered rifle for backup.
    ........... :machinegun: