Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me, but have glasses prices gone up at a ridiculous pace the last few years??????????????? Just went in for an eye exam. Got 2 pair of glasses, suns and regs..........progressives with an astigmatism. $650 for 2 pair, and that was 50% off on lenses, each pair, and a $25 off coupon on each pair. The worst is that plastic lenses cost about $4 a piece for the blanks. Without any coupons or specials, the total would have been $1045. I can't afford to see anymore:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I don't need specs for distance seeing since the cataract surgery, though vision isn't perfect. Got prescription polycarbonates (not progressive) for shooting glasses in my old frames for $118 a couple months back. It must depend on what the prescription is?

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have seen recently ads for $69 for glasses including the eye exam. It depends on what else your glasses need such as bifocals and if you add tint or polarized lens. The price you told about is off the charts for a rip off IMO. I would call around to the places that have in house lens making.
Last time I got two pairs for about $200 including exam. I got one pair clear lens and the other was tinted for sunglasses. That was maybe 5 years ago but still I am seeing ads for reasonable prices now.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
My wife just got new ones ....$600.:eek:

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Hi Jack.....:)

Along the same line of thought...

My wife has severe Rheumatoid Arthritis.. since she was 25.
She has been taking Methotrexate for 10 years, but cant take it any longer...

Have you seen Humira on TV?

its $3200 a kit, (2 shots) twice a month, $6400/mo....:mad::mad::mad:

She has Humana Supplemental Ins , which is fantastic, we are out of pocket hardly anything.

Buuutttt... they wont pay for this.. our cost would be $1100 per kit= 2200/mo.. my cost.:mad::mad:

Who can afford that?

I read that their patent runs out in 2016... may wait for generics.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Rheumatoid arthritis is at least pertly caused by the body's immune system going way overboard to stop what it 'thinks' is an attack. Seems like Humira is a remedy that works by partially shutting down the immune system. As you might guess, that approach has significant hazards attached. No more hazardous than cancer treatment with chemo, but still worth looking at.

Hell, you probably know all that. I'm sticking my nose in, just in case you don't.

·
Banned
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those ads you see for the cheap glasses are single vision glasses, with black plastic frames...............anything else, it's like a hot air balloon........just keeps going up. A friend just went in recently with insurance, and they were still $200 a pair. A guy that used to work for me, used to work at one of those eyeglass places. He's the one that told me, the plastic lens blanks cost them about $4 a piece............they all charge anywhere from $150-450 for a pair of ground lenses, then they sell you frames from China, that cost them $8 a piece, for $69-to............I saw a frame for $3300. I almost vomited...................;) I was in the wrong racket;)

·
Banned
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I know a couple of people with bad arthritis issues...........................from what I gather, ITHO, you should try to stay off of any of that nasty medication, for as long as you can. Sometimes, when you start trying to cut back on your immune system, you open yourself up for other unexpected health issues. Those drugs out there for arthritis are very strong indeed. I have some arthritis, but not to the extent of others, burdened by this health issue. If it was me, I would rather take well known, well studied painkillers, than some of the stuff they are pushing these days. Who cares if someone in there later years gets addicted to pain killers............it's a quality of life issue. Painkillers on a whole, are much safer to take, than the stuff their peddling lately. I won't mention the name, but one that they use that starts with Cel.............had a friend who was taking it to reduce swelling, and he said that there were so many side effects from it, such as blurred vision, headache, stomach ache, and it's really not a good drug for your heart. I realize that some of these drugs are to slow down the arthritic process, but if it were me, I would much rather be pain free and comfortable, than taking something that may slow down the process, but make you feel terrible constantly, with side effects. Just my 2 cents............

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Lucky for me, I was blessed with great eye sight till age 40. Then I needed magnifiers to read, next magnifiers to see distance.
Now I need stronger magnifiers for both (bifocals). Cost,$250.00 ish!

So I buy drug store "readers" in order to see long distance. Then order Optx 20/20 stick on bifocal lenses, cut em to fit my "readers".
Total cost, $25 bucks. And I get better glasses than I can get from the rip-off eye glasses store. A country boy can survive!

Aging eyes is the only reason I need glasses. It's my understanding if you have an astigmatism, you gotta go a different way.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I do agree the more you need done to the lenses the more bucks it cost. Unless you are like Mag and get creative. Oh yeah they get you with the designer frames also.
I get a kick out of the side effects of big pharm drugs. Heck I would rather deal with what I got than take a chance of adding 5 other worse problems. But people have different tolerances of pain to consider also. I always choose natural remedies if possible.
I heard some people after getting a vaccination have a side effect of a desire to look at baby diapers.
A friend of mine wore coke bottles for glasses and couldn't see his nose without them. He had laser surgery and he didn't have to wear glasses for years after that. Now he just wears weak glasses.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
My wife needed glasses because she has and eye disease so we drove to Scottsdale 3 times and finally got a diagnosis and a prescription. So we saunter over to Len's Crafters. $69.00 for frames, however with the grind that she needed we ended up paying over $250.00. The technician said she could order a pair of prescription sun glasses and with her present discount, it would only cost $200.00 more. You can't tell me that it costs that much to grind lenses. A buddy of mine did it years ago and he said he could grind most any lenses in about an hour or so. Talk about ripping people off!
Tommy

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have seen recently ads for $69 for glasses including the eye exam. It depends on what else your glasses need such as bifocals and if you add tint or polarized lens. The price you told about is off the charts for a rip off IMO. I would call around to the places that have in house lens making.
Last time I got two pairs for about $200 including exam. I got one pair clear lens and the other was tinted for sunglasses. That was maybe 5 years ago but still I am seeing ads for reasonable prices now.
I checked out one of those places today. In order to get that price you must buy the frames from them for $69.95 each.
The frames of my current glasses were $15 and I'm on my second set of lenses in that frame.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
So once I get my new glasses I can read the fine print of their ad?

·
Banned
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I usually use the frames over and over until they are too weak................no sense putting new lenses into crap frames. I do have the start of cataracts................................the doctor told me that she sees very few people over 50, who DON'T have cataracts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So once I get my new glasses I can read the fine print of their ad?
If you get new glasses from that kind of place you and your wallet will already have been shafted by the fine print.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I agree here . got new glasses 3 months ago. right at 500.00 for the set, I have terrible sight. and my prescription for lenses over 325.00 alone not including frames of any sort. ive check the discount place , they get almost the same cost for my lenses , it is amazing, glasses are like everything else that we need they see a place to pork ya because you need them to see

·
Registered
100 Posts
Try an Eyemart. Cheap and best I have ever had.
I don't remember what they cost, but it was a good price. After I had them for a while I decided to get another pair with the progressive bifocals higher up in the lens to better see my handgun sights without tipping my head back. Same frames as my other glasses with no extras. $89.00. They work great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts