Gander Mountain closings

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Mar 14, 2017.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Gander Mountain is closing 32 stores nationwide and three are in Houston. You would think as many guns sold in Texas and Houston being 4th largest city in the nation that they wouldn't be closing Houston stores. I guess having an Academy across the highway has something to do with it. The one store closing is the one closest to me and yeah its parking lot is almost empty compared to Academy across the highway.
    I guess I need watch for closing sale ads.
    Check this link for stores near you for closing.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/03/13/gander-mountain-bankruptcy-store-closings/99125958/

2. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I picture them having a "going out of business sale" with gun prices slashed to LGS levels. :rolleyes:

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Ah yes, I forgot to mention: The Grand Power pistols that Gander Mountain was 'offering' are also available through Davidson's - at reasonable prices. So are the Tanfoglio EAA Witness guns. I believe that their competitive quality and prices can only be good for the quality and pricing of domestic brands.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Seen that list...the New Gander Mt they built this past summer in Warrington, PA ( near me ) is safe for now.

Real nice store...and with the Mom & Pop gun stores few and far in between around me anymore...they ARE better than nothing.

5. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Gander is never my first choice. As over-priced as Bass Pro with less stock. But, still better than Dick's.

6. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Our local store is staying open. I have come to accept them, when I realized that when I added shippng the cost was reasonable.

I needed an action block, $29.99 at GM, $24.99 plus shipping on line. Plus they price match.

I am glad our local store is staying open​. It's an hour drive to the closest Academy. The store were I normally purchased from the owner died. All the other stores around here sell at MSRP or close to it. That makes GM more attractive to me.