Gamo air rifles

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Magnum.357, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

Does anyone know about the Gamo air rifles? Specifically the swarm magnum in .22 cal.
    Are they any good? What would be a good scope to mount on it for 50 to 100 yards?
    I want to hunt rabbits with it.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

May I ask for the reasons why you chose the Gamo brand ?

First , the best choice for rabbit is the heavier .22 caliber. Quick kill , not necessarily any other reason.
    Second, only choose a scope that is designed for air rifles, or it will be destroyed quickly.

wabbits.jpg

Jim

4. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

Thanks guys for the replies. I did buy the Gamo swarm magnum in .22 caliber. I read the reviews and other brands as well. Seams they all have something negative.
    It is my first air gun for hunting rabbits, doves and quail. Possibly Turkey if I can site it in properly. I've always used the .22 LR or shotgun but in southern California, we all have to hunt with non-lead.
    I chose Gamo because I didn't know one from the other and wanted something with enough power to take the rabbits at a good distance. Rabbits around here keep a 70 to 100 yard distance. Some jack rabbits are quite large.
    The scope is bad news. I did site it in at 20 to 25 yards and shot at a 2 x 4. The tail end or skirt of the pellet was imbedded very deep and could barely see it.
    A ten shot group was at about 1 1/2 to 2 inches with free hand. That's with a bad scope. While looking though it, I thought, my eyes are worse than I ever thought. I even thought the scope was dirty and cleaned it up. The scope is more of an expensive toy. Not good for this gun. Maybe Gamo is trying to get rid of them since they can't sell them. They should just refurbish them with better optics.
    It is not too loud but loud enough to cause a neighbor to come out and see what I was doing.
    Cocking the gun was a bit tough on the first and second time. After that it was fairly easy.
    Phideaux, what scope is on your Hatsan? Maybe Big 5 has some good scopes.

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Looking forward to review of the quality and dependability of it.
    I have read more than few articles about air rifles require scopes made just for them as phideau said.

6. phideaux

Hey Magnum,
    I have bought 1/2 dozen of this scope for air rifles, and had 1 bad one,
    took it back to WM , got a good one.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/CenterPo...with-Picatinny-Rings-TAG-BDC-Reticle/46136278

Don't plan on taking a rabbit with that Gamo out past 60 yards,
    (maybe if all is perfect, ear shot,pellet weight, shape, humidity, wind, it may kill out to 70 -75 yrds)
    They will kill at 60 yrds, and thats about where the accuracy starts dropping off., thats about max, and that will depend on the pellet you use.
    Using a range finder , I have killed ,one shot, at 59 yrds.

And just like gunpowder rounds, each rifle will have its own pellet it shoots best. Try several weights and shapes.

Do not clean the bore after shooting, because then the setting the bore starts all over.
    I clean a whole can of pellets using using non-acetone fingernail polish remover. DO NOT oil the pellets..you will blow up your rifle chamber.

Hope this helps.

Jim
    PS, shoot at least 100 pellet before sighting in.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  7. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

Thanks, This does help a lot. I'm new to this and plan on spending a lot of time with it.
    I'm glad you mentioned not to clean the bore after shooting. Good info on washing the pellets and to not oil them.
    All very good information, thanks.

phideaux likes this.
  8. phideaux

Throw away the junk scope that came with the gun. Try the one I showed ya, or equivalent.
    Make sure to use blue Loctite on all scope mount screws. Airs rifle have opposing double action recoil , and are hard on loosening screws.

Most of these Springer action air rifles, after finding the best pellet for it , are very accurate .
    May Hatsan will shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards consistently.
    Now that will do a rabbit in.:)

Squirrels, Turtles, and Doves are good eatin too.:D

Jim

air guns.JPG pellets2.JPG

9. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

That is a nice collection. Is the Ruger Mark I a hunting pellet gun or a plinker? I was looking at a revolver for just fun shooting and to brush up on practice shooting instead of using the real thing.
    Thank you very much for the great info. I'll give you a follow up on once I get that new scope.
    I'm not too happy to know I won't be taking rabbits passed 60 yards. Every time I see one it is way to far for my shot gun. I should be okay with the doves and quail.

phideaux likes this.
  10. phideaux

The Ruger Mark I is fun , both to hunt with and just cheap plinking. With right pellet it will check in at 550-600 fps.
    I had to tweak the trigger a lot to get it to the point of being accurate , out to about 15 yards,

I have killed 1 squirrel with it at about that range. Not being fond of long eye relief (handgun) scopes , I opted for a decent Red Dot , no magnification, It's cool, just putthe dotbon target , and fire, it hits where the dot sits consistently.

The Red Dot also has deficiencies of not being so bright in bright sun lit day time.o_O:confused:

These are not toys,they are powerful, and should be handled and treated safely as Gunpowder guns.

The biggest key to consistent accuracy is trying different pellets until you find the right one for the gun.
    I cant wait to hear back how your doing with that Gamo, and a decent scope.

ENJOY
    Jim

11. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

Update: I've been using the Benjamin Hollow point pellets. It has been okay for hunting purposes. At exactly 50 yards, sometimes It'll hit nearly in the same hole and then it just goes off into 1" to 1x1/2" from POA. It has been a bit windy, so I think that has something to do with its inconsistency. Still not bad for 50 yds.
    I did change the scope. I bought a UTG 3-12 x 40. This one has an adjustable objective and mill dots. It is very helpful making the targets clear unlike the bad news Gamo scope.
    I also washed the pellets in a bucket with soapy water. They tend to release lots of tiny particles. I dried them on a towel by patting them dry then I left them sitting in the sun for about ten minutes. I still have to try some other pellets like the JSB.
    At 50 yards I was hitting the target and the pellets penetrated the 1/2 in board. Seams to have plenty of power for my tended use. So far I am not disappointed.
    Cocking the rifle was a bit stiff. The first time I thought I was doing something wrong. After a few times of cocking it, it softened but still a bit on the stiff side.
    It has a 33mm cylinder or air tank, which is the reason for its stiffness. In addition it has a bit of recoil. Nothing to be alarmed over. Just expect it a little.
    Thanks for all the helpful information. It has been all very helpful. I now understand why I will not go passed the 50 yard mark.
    I would still like to try my luck with the Quail, Eurasian doves, pigeons and rabbits. All very good to eat. Morning dove are very small I doubt I have any luck with one unless I'm closer.
    Thanks to everyone for your help and advise.