Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having a problem with what I bieve is my extractor. It's not grabbing the lip if the last round after you fire or if you pull the lever pack to eject or just cycling the rounds out of a magazine to unload it. I noticed after ruining some rounds a few times by not noticing the failure to extract/eject then having the next round try to chamber behind it.

his gun hasn't even been fired yet! Do I need to replace my extractor? I would appreciate any help I can't get! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Start with a field strip, take a good look at the extractor. See if its chipped or bent, also check the extractor spring tension to make sure its got good strength to return to position.

If its happening while cycling the bolt and not after firing (you said its never been fired) than it could be something besides the extractor depending on exactly how you did it. Did you have a round in the chamber and release the bolt onto it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Would first look at the extractor, make sure it's intact, looks like it is in the picture but the tip can't be seen from that angle. Check it for burrs as well. While you are looking for burrs check the extractor slot in the barrel for them as well. Check the spring tension with your finger. I doubt it is but check to see that the charging handle isn't blocking its function either. Have you tried more then one brand of ammo? My 10/22s don't like federal for example.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It doesn't take much residue to build up under, in or around (22's are rather dirty shooter's) the extractor to make it not grab the rim ( or lip as you call it) give it a good cleaning....remove the bolt for this cleaning so you can get up under the extractor and lube it...should be good to go unless something is broken.

One thing I discovered is the gun will fire, the case will somehow get removed and ejected from the gun when the extractor is missing. It won't remove an unfired round from the chamber...so when unloading a 10/22 look into the chamber to make sure it is unloaded. If the extractor leaves a round in the chamber and you pull the trigger, say for cleaning, you will put a round into the floor...happened to me...still don't know where the extractor went to or how it got broken. Just be careful with a faulty extractor.
Gary

·
Registered
175 Posts
Agree with the previous posts.....when I first got my 10/22 and also my SR556, I caused misfeeds like that for simply riding the charging handle....duh !
Yet another reason I love the "auto" bolt release!
I also had some trouble with Federal but more with Rem golden ....sticking with CCI mini mags!

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

·
Registered
89 Posts
I changed the extractor to a VolQuartsen from Midway, easy and cheap to do, also I switched to copper head .22's in my 10/22. But I think if you change the extractor you will notice a big difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First act before firing a new gun is to strip it and clean it thoroughly. Machining oil and chips may be left in the action during manufacturing and shipped unnoticed. When you clean the bolt check the extractor to make sure the tip isn't broken off and it will move freely against the spring tension. I rarely hand cycle ammo through my semi-autos 'cause I feel that one reason is the action isn't designed for slow cycling and may not always work correctly hand cycling. Load it up and shoot it is the true test...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definitely check ammo- for the most part 10/22s will chew through anything, maybe yours has a bit closer tolerances.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

·
Registered
175 Posts
As others have posted....and I've learned from all also....many thanks......while cleaning after a trip with +500 down range...I paid a lot of attention to the extractor while cleaning the bolt......I sprayed the bolt liberally with Ballistol......let it sit, then worked the extractor/plunger for many minutes...exercising by hand. It really felt gritty...sprayed and worked again, wiped....dropped in some Slip2000 EWL and worked for minutes more...finally it was very smooth...was surprised it took that much attention.....thanks to the thread...a very valuable lesson!

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of your help guys. I have a little over 1000 rounds down it at this point and the more I clean it and fire it is seems to be working out its own kinks. The biggest issue I seem to be having now (which is not very often) is what I believe to be a light primer strike. I'm planning on replacing my bolt soon with a complete KIDD bolt so I'm sure that will solve a lot of my issues :)

Mine had that gritty feeling too- I polished the bolt and receiver. Smooth now
And thanks tbspeed, I'll try that!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been an ultrasonic cleaner with hoppes #9 to clean bolt after shooting and then lining bolt with lithium grease- not oil.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also started been using a high temp/extreme pressure lithium based grease instead of oil on my 10/22 bolt and have been impressed. Works even better on my AR BCG! It quickly is becoming my favorite lubricant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts