Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
One of my ways of saving electricity use it to turn off my water heater when not using it. Living alone I can sometimes go three summer days without having to turn on my water heater. If I am out of hot water I turn on the breaker for only about 20 minutes. Actually in ten minutes I have hot enough water to take a shower. All electric house this makes a big difference in electric usage.
My last electric bill is $43 and the one before that was $29. Cold weather and being sick at same time caused the jump. Living alone makes big difference what I can get away with in cutting back costs. LOL I can't afford a woman living with me.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I been planning on putting my hot water heater on a timer, Only nee to work out a schedule for heavy hot water use days.
With a blanket on the heater, it will hold hot water for 3-4 days.
why keep it turned on 24/7 ?

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
That's exactly what I say. We don't leave a pot of water boiling on the stove so why do we do it with the water heater? I have read that the water heater is about 50% of a house electric bill. It doesn't take a whole lot of water running into the hot water heater when using hot water to cool down the water in the tank, especially in the winter.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A friend of mine has his on a timer to turn on (remembering) ednesday afternoon and again on Stat...
Him and his wif have it worked out.

He saves a lot , I don't recall how much.

the timer was from Amazon (230V) for $49.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts