Free electricity

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, Jun 19, 2015.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Well, almost free,;)

I have been thinking about doing something to put enough power in my 8x10 shed to run a fan, a small TV, a couple LED lights, a few power tools, electric chainsaw, maybe a small fridge, not all at same time.

I just started thinkin this today and came up with this

http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Kit-1...sim_86_14?ie=UTF8&refRID=16QZP4S7QRES1RNAKMAC

Then I got to buy 1 , probly, 2 deep cycle 12 v batteries Hooked in parallel to double the capacity. ($150)

Then I got to buy an inverter, ( $ ?)

Heres where I need help.
    How big an inverter, wattage wise?

How much current can I realisticaly draw from the battery and solar panel ? Wouldnt I want to match the inverter to that?

Any experience here that can lead this poor soul down the solar path ?

Jim

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

My friend had a rental that a neighbor tapped into and ran a bunch of grow lights. He was eventually found out. Should have been prosecuted.

3. phideaux

This project is now off the ground..

Still pursueing some parts of it.

The solar panel, pwm monitor, and cables came this week,
    Im impressed , its larger than I thought, and built like a tank.

My first inverter is due this week.

Im going to Alabama on 7/7 to pickup 4 batteries a 48 vdc backup pack, and a radiation detector (free).

Still looking for a230 vac inverter for my well pump.

Heres the Solar panel, this will surely not be the last one.

[​IMG]

rear

[​IMG]

Jim

4. phideaux

The saga continues...

One day, or some year...I may be secure and indepedent..

Got to make a short trip down to Huntsville AL, to pick up this stuff....FREE,:eek::D

4, 6 volt batteries to run an inverter...:cool:
    [​IMG]

A 48 volt 2000 watt UPS (uninterupted power source) back up pack.
    [​IMG]

A radiation detector :cool: Just because I dont trust PUTIN.
    [​IMG]

Cruising right along,
    My first inverter should be here this week.

Im on the hunt for 2 things..

1. A decent inverter for 230 volt ac to dedicate to running my well pump.
    2. 4 batteries 200-230 AH golf cart batteries at a good price.:rolleyes:

Jim

5. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

You have me confused about several things.
    So please tell me where you can find two or even one deep cycle battery for $150 and expect it to be of good quality?
    I ask because the batteries (group 31) for one of my mobility scooters are $280 each and it takes 2.
    Also you showed a picture of four 6 volt batteries (6, 12 or 24 volts depending on how wired) then talk about a 48 volt UPS.
    May ask more questions later.
    A comment on batteries, If a deep cycle battery has automotive posts on it in addition to the proper posts then it is not a deep cycle battery. Marine/starter batteries are not deep cycle batteries no matter what the advertizing says. That was an expensive lesson for me.

6. phideaux

OK...sorry for the confusion..
    I did leave out too many details.

fIrst of all I have 45 year background in the electrical field ,with a degree in Electronics... but not in retail shopping :rolleyes:;), I underestimated the cost of the batteries, but I have located some top brand 220 AH 12v batteries for $200 ea instead of $150 ea. Rolls Surrette batteries are the VERY BEST , but not in my budget. There are others out there that are very good. I wont go into them because , I know the ones I think are junk , may be someone elses favorite brand.

I failed to mention that I own a 48vdc Golf cart. That's a power source for the UPS backup pack. I am in process of replacing those also,(7 yrs old) and will use them to power the UPS pack until they die. Then the golf cart, of which I have all the cables and connectors to do so.

Now the 4 six volt batteries in the pic, are FREE from a friend, and will be wired series in a pair, 2 pairs in parallel, to give me a power source for my 12vdc to 120 ac and 230 vac inverters.

The solar panels are only for charging batteries if(when) the utility grid goes down. There will be multiples as time and finances allow.

I do agree with your comments on deep cycle batteries.

I have a freind in Texas that has been 100% off grid for several years , and is a well of knowledge on this solar, UPS, off grid project. Talk to him regularly.

Questions are welcomed.

Jim

7. phideaux

Got a few more pieces to the project today.

Went shopping and stopped in Harbor Freight just to pick up a couple little items, and they had the 750 watt inverters on sale , so I grabbed a couple.

Got home and the larger 1500 watt inverter was sitting on the back porch.

It is coming together.:)

Next week ,after I pick up some batteries and other items, it may take me a few days to get some of it operational.

The Safe Shelter is scheduled to be delivered on Monday 7/6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim

8. phideaux

Heres my nearly completed emergency Safe Shelter power source , for when I lose power. I just got to design and build a mobile stand for the solar panel(s) and make it expandable, (at least 4 panels)

I can also run a big portion of my house with this also, if need be, until I get the system up and going for the house.

It is mobile, I made the wheels out of Apitong wood, the axles are 1/2" black pipe. rolls so easy ,( for the wife). Total weight is approx. 700 lbs.

Consists of 8 (for now) 6v 220 AH golf cart batteries, hooked in series pairs, then pairs in parallel for 12vdc over 1000ah of power, I want to add 4 , maybe 8 more to get over 2000 ah of power.

1 120vac 1500 watt inverter, 2 120vac 750 watt inverters, I PWM (power monitor/controller) for solar charging the batteries, and one 9 stage battery charger that runs off the utility power, until its down, then the Solar will take over.

This will run a lot of appliances and lights, for a long time if we are careful with usage. And the sunshine is good to us ,to keep the batteries up.

The other setup will be running off of 48 v battery arrangement,
    \Tats my next project, all I need there is 4 more 12 v batteries.

Here is my emergency Shelter system, only 26"wide and 16" deep, about 5 ft tall, very compact. Not as costly as you might think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim

9. phideaux

Got the mobile stand for 2 solar panels finished this week.
    Will get a pic when 2nd panel is mounted and hooked up.

Got my second solar panel and branch connectors ordered, be here next Wed.

All eight batteries are finally into float mode at 13.7 v.
    Water levels have remained at top of plates.
    Got my squeeze bottles with tubing to fill when necessary,

Picked up all the electrical PVC and fittings, boxes, etc, to finish the hookup in the Shelter.
    Next, is to get the Shelter wired and ready for the system.

Too dang hot and humid right now to be working on that.

Jim

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

GET READY FOR STUPID QUESTION. There, don't say you weren't warned.

I stared at the picture of your lashup, focused on the batteries, and flashed on hydrogen. So, what about all that hydrogen?

:)

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

A friend and I are wanting to know how to run our 220v deep well pumps when/if the electric grid goes down. I know during the hurricanes here that people were using portable gas generators to run their wells but many also burned up the well pumps. Something to do with insufficient constant amps I believe.
    I would like to use air because then I could an air compressor off a generator. A friend of mine his well used air compressor to extract the water. I am wondering if there is way to add air system to present piping in the well.

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

More likely insufficient starting amps, I think.

13. phideaux

Really, the only time there would be a problem with the tiny amount that is present , would be in a sealed up box the size of a fridge.

No concerns there, its very minute amounts, especially if your maintaining the batteries properly and not sending them above the gaseous stage and frying them.

Not a bad question at all, most people fry batteries and create gases.

Jim

14. phideaux

Your right VT,

Too small a generator , not enough starting amps will fry the pump motor.

Where you gonna get gas when the grid is down,....NO ELECTRICITY.

That is another thing Im currently working on.I originally had a PVC bucket to lower and pull up water.
    Thats hard work

So Im looking at getting an inverter that will give 230 VAC.
    They are plenty out there, most from China.

for my well , which is a 1/2 hp Red Jacket deep well pump, I would want an inverter with 1500 watt continuos, and 4000 watt surge/peak, cost 300-600 bucks, a little overkill, but I cant have a failue.NO GAS needed.:cool:

You got to be conservative when running water, use it only when necessary ,so as not to drain your battery power source so the solar panels cant recharge fast enough, Unless you got lots of panels.

When the grid goes down,.....not only do I want to survive, I want to do it somewhat comfortably.:D

Jim

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  15. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Is your little shed flood proof? How high off the ground is it? Why didn't you bury it? :)

16. phideaux

Im not sure I know any building thats flood proof, but Im not sure exactly what flood proof means.

My little shed weighs 28,000 lbs, so Im sure it wouldnt float either.
    It isnt high off the ground, it sits flat, on a flat graveled pad.

Im not too worried about my little shed being under water , as I live HIGH up on a hill, that overlooks the surrounding farm by 150 feet.

I have had experience with underground bunkers, I have friends that have buried shelters, I been in them.

No thanks, as I havent seen a buried one yet, that didnt sweat, collect severe moisture, and leak. Plus you can easily get trapped in one from fallen debri(cars, trucks, houses, etc. )

This one is not designed, or built to be underground.
    This one has been certified and tested, by numerous Universities, and gov agencies for F5 , 250 mph tornados.

Its nearly indestructable.

I did my homework.

Jim

17. phideaux

Tha saga continues..

I recieved my 2nd solar panel yesterday, along with mounting brackets and branch connectors.
    Got them ready to start producing power.
    I will be getting 12-19 volts DC, and approx 15 amps of current capacity.

Here is the system on mobile frame , easy for the wife to maneuver .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the voltage output with only the flourescent light of the shop...8.43 VDC.

[​IMG]
    image url upload

Jim

18. phideaux

Ive made another decision...

Been looking into getting a 230VAC inverter for the sole purpose of running my well pump.

Well I have finally given up that plan, and have decided to convert my generator over to propane,

I believe this is my best way to go for the well pump, and may be used for many other purposes.

Just got to decide how big of a propane tank to set up..:rolleyes:

Thinking 2 100lb tanks , thatway , they're still somewhat mobile.

Jim

Jim

19. phideaux

Well, little by little, I finally got all the electric done in the Safe Shed.
    btw all lighting is LED , very low draw on power source.

outlets, lights , even a 12 vdc outlet, and a pigtail to electrify the entire system , and the garage with batteries and inverters.

Just gotta move some stuff in now.

Got the propane conversion kit from US Carb , coming in tomorrow, also got a line on 4 100lb propane tanks,
    mainly to run the generator but also the grill and Buddy heaters if needed.

OH YEAH, I remember the ice storm of 2009.. I drove 230 miles to get gas... NEVER AGAIN... I could get propane thru it all, but not gas.

Just bring in your tank, they dont need electricity to fill it, and the delivery trucks run on propane..

Live and learn.

Next is to install conversion kit, then start on the UPS backup system for the house.

Jim