Frame to barrel off set

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by prfornaro, Feb 3, 2020.

1. prfornaro

prfornaro New Member

Just bought a new SBH. Unfortunately the barrel is a bit off center. Would you accept this or return it for exchange? It's not a lot but it is not a cheap gun either.

Regards
    Peter

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

I don't think I would accept it.

3. C. D. Bates

C. D. Bates Member

I would not fire it, without checking the line up of each cylinder chamber to barrel.

Send those pics to Ruger. They should send you a return authorization label and probably a shipping carton.

That is way off and unbelievable coming from Ruger.

rugertoter likes this.
  4. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

I'm wondering if the holes align correctly. I understand they do the cosmetic shaping by hand; did they take too much off one side?

It probably wouldn't be as noticeable with a round barrel, but the top strap on the hunter really highlights it.

rugertoter likes this.
  5. prfornaro

prfornaro New Member

The alignment of the holes between barrel and cylinder is not perfect, I won't shoot it and try to get feedback from Ruger. I'll keep you posted on this one.

P.

rugertoter likes this.
  6. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Wow. It isn't the first time I've seen a barrel issue on a new revolver, but not on one that you probably spent quite a bit more on. It can happen with about any manufacturer, but it makes one more angry when you spent the money on it.

Hope they get that one squared away for you!

7. prfornaro

prfornaro New Member

I got after months the first replay from Ruger:

Our team is asking if they have shot it? Is it shooting straight?
    Please check with the customer and ask if he has shot both of them and if they are shooting straight. I cannot move forward with our team to review until we get that information.“

Well... a gun that like after an accident and the only question is, if it shoots straight...

I‘ll keep you posted.

Cheers
    Peter

8. prfornaro

prfornaro New Member

BTW, I have a single Six with the even worse issue.... that’s why they ask if both are shooting straight.

Best,

P.

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

All of my Blackhawks have been the round barrel type, no top rib.
    After I saw your post Peter, I gave my latest .357 / 9mm Blackhawk a close look to see how the front sight aligned with the flat top of the frame.
    I believe my latest might be "off" a little more than yours. It shoots fine, never would have noticed it had I not been looking for some offset. I have no problem with the way it is but I must admit if it had the rib like yours any offset would probably bug me.
    I've had a few Blackhawks thru the years. Some front sights seem to be exactly centered and some have been slightly off center. Again, none have had the rib on the top of the barrel so it's not something that is very noticeable.

The response you got from Ruger makes me wonder if they believe a little offset is acceptable, even when the gun has a rib like yours.
    I'll be interested to learn what they ultimately decide. Please keep us informed.

10. C. D. Bates

C. D. Bates Member

Wow

I would expect better from Ruger.

I have had 7 Blackhawks and NEVER an offset, much less as noticeable as yours.
    Seeing that, I would not have shot it and sent it back, expecting Ruger to remedy the situation.

My hunting buddy had an quality issue with a Ruger American rifle. Contacted Ruger, sent it in and received a NEW RIFLE within 8 weeks.

11. prfornaro

prfornaro New Member

Hi
    Thanks for all your responses.
    A first update: One of the two revolvers will be replaced for sure, it’s the Ruger Single Six, with the tilted barrel.
    The Super Blackhawk Hunter is still in evaluation - the one I send the images.
    About the offset: I think a premium gun should not have this issue. It is a doable thing to align the elements and the precision of about 1/10 mm would be already invisible and not rocket science to manufacture - IMHO. I have a number of S&Ws and not one has any issue like that. I am happy to hear something positive finally and I hope very much they will replace the SBH as well. I keep you updated.

All the best,
    Peter

C. D. Bates and MagBlackhawk like this.
  12. C. D. Bates

C. D. Bates Member

I'm guessing this China Dempanic has slowed things down.
    But, as I would expect, a quality company, such as Ruger, would make things right.
    There will be a lot of investigation and discussion on how those ever passed inspections and were shipped.
    Somebody may be in trouble.

Glad your issue was satisfactorily resolved.

13. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry New Member

I has gotten a 44 Magnum Vaquero back after repairs quickly then this mess hit. Right, the world wide pandemic has impacted Ruger. They currently have a 45 Colt caliber Vaquero there for overhaul. I wanted to get in line for repairs. Ruger has a history of taking care of customers. Contact them by email or phone of repairs. Shoot the gun as suggested. You may not have a problem.

14. Stonebuster

Stonebuster New Member

I hope your experience with Ruger CS goes as well as both times I've dealt with CS. I know they've asked people to be patient during this virus mess, but they're usually very quick to turn guns around. There have been complaints about canted barrels on S&W revolvers and I've seen a new Colt Cobra with the same problem.

15. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry New Member

My story has a twist. We had asked the gun not be refinished since Ruger no longer did the case harden finish on the frame. Heard nothing. Then handgun appears at FFL's. Open the box and a form letter was enclosed. Basically turning down the refinish the gun was returned. No mention of mechanical work. I called twice and was well treated. We put our heads together. The net result is that Ruger people sent a prepaid label for the gun

One thing that I have learned about Ruger over the years. They have there own way of putting firearms together. What I think is right may be different from Ruger's thinking. Once I understood this situation it was OK. If I don't like Ruger guns buy something else.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  16. prfornaro

prfornaro New Member

I still got now answer from Ruger about the off centered Barrel of the New Super Blackhawk Hunter. It’s now several months now. Still hoping for a replacement...

17. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry New Member

Well, I was notified that the gun had been shipped. It's to be here on Monday. In detail the Ruger folks were helpful. It was easy to take care of the snafu. This has been my overall experience for many, many years, I speak only of repairs. The assessment on repairs is generally fast. The pandemic screwed most everything up.

18. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Several months?
    That ain't like Ruger's CS that I know. Something is wrong with that.
    I think I'd call just to find out if they lost the gun or maybe forgot all about me!
    Several months, what the.........

19. Mowgli Terry

Mowgli Terry New Member

I have sent back two Vaquero's this year. The first was a 44 Magnum with what looked like a Bubba modified cylinder gap. Gun was repaired and returned. The gun had been timed with the hand replaced. Gap was OK. The other was a 45 Colt caliber.

45 Colt:We straightened this out and the company sent a prepaid label. The gun was returned to Ruger. On return all aftermarket parts had been removed. Gap on this gun was adjusted. The gun was put back in time. The first was sent before the pandemic and the second after the shutdowns started. Fast service for both guns despite goof up on the 45.

Id be for calling to find out exactly what happened. My experience with them for years has been very good without long delays. This team business seems odd based my experience sending gun for work. The rep that I spoke to had access to my letter and all notes.

I have sent two guns for refinish and rebarrelied Also, other guns for rebuild and refinish. This has been over the many years til the present time. Frankly I would not have had a second thought about the barrel. I would have expected Ruger to have test fired your gun. They warranty the gun not the customers marksmanship.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  20. prfornaro

prfornaro New Member

Ok, I got the final decision. The super blackhawk hunter is not being replaced and shipped back as it is. I am not happy about that end. The argument of ruger is:

There is no safety issue
    The gun shoots straight

Optical and mechanical flaws are no reasons for a replacement.
    I don't know how to proceed. I am really not happy with the bad alignment of the barrel. It look not nice at all.

Do you have recommendation?