Found another pistol if you can call it that

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Tommycourt, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

My elderly neighbor came down and sold me a Norinco 9mm semi-auto pistol. I really didn't want it, but he is 89 yrs old and his wife has Alzheimer disease and he didn't want it in the house. He told me to take it out and shoot it, which I did and it shoots high at 10 feet. I shot some Hornady Critical Defense rounds through it to see how strong it was. I might add I did it with trepidation however everything was alright. Told me he needed $25.00 and I told him no. I gave him $40.00 as he can't drive and has to take a taxi everywhere he goes. That will give him a months worth of taxi tickets. Trouble is, what do I do with it? Functional wise, it works good and it has some holster wear on the left side of the muzzle. I really don't think there is much of a demand for this type of pistol. It does say Pomona, Ca. on the side of it, caliber size and no name. Has the original handgrips (phenolic) and backsided safety. Any suggestions?

Tommy

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Do you have a picture you can post?

3. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

I would just put it up with your collection. About 30 years ago, I bought a RG 22 cal revolver from a mentally handicapped man. I thought it was better that I have it instead of him. I fired it a couple times when I got it, it is so inaccurate it is worthless. I would not sell it to anyone and can't bring myself to destroy it, so it just sits empty in the drawer of my gun cabinet.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tommy,
    Does it look like mine?

I like mine , I just bought it last month for $150, and that was a really good price.

The Norinco in 9X19 mm is hard to find, I would hang on to it.

100_5707.jpg

100_5712.jpg

100_5699 - Copy.jpg

Jim

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,

That's just how it looks however I don't have the case, manual or tool. I believe yours is much nicer as I stated, there is some muzzle wear on the bluing. I noticed on your safety, it moves forward to fire. On mine, the safety lever has to be pulled back, which is ridiculous however I read somewhere that the very early ones had no safety on it so a soldier would carrying it locked and loaded. If you have any idea of what it's worth I would appreciate it. A gun like this I would be hesitate to sell because I don't want some run of the mill idiot, or possibly some druggie getting his hands on it. With 5 being the highest in condition, I would rate mine at a minus 3. Thanks for showing me yours. I really don't want to keep the gun as a safe queen because I like to shoot all of mine. Having another gun in the house just doesn't do anything for me if I don't use it. One thing he did say was he brought it back, I think from WWII. I could be wrong as I can't find a way to date the pistol.

Tommy

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

You can take it to your LGS and sell it on consignment or sell it on Armslist if you don't want it. I have had good results on Armslist and on consignment. My LGS only charges 10% of selling price for consignment sales.

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It's a Norinco Tokarev clone. Does it have a thumb safety on the frame? I think those are fairly 'desirable'.

9. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

almost any country that was friends with or part of the former USSR, made a Tokarev (T-33) clone. the gun was designed by Fedor Tokarev and was first issued in 1933. when you take it a part you'll start laughing, it's all stolen Browning design on the inside (barrel lug, bushing, sliding trigger). if you want a cheap SA 9mm to take to the range, it's good. work on the sights. polish on the trigger parts. I have one that was made by Zastava in Serbia. good luck, have fun.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I had a Zastava M70, which is their M57 except in 9x19 instead of 7.62x25. The safety was on the slide, pretty common for imports except that it was put in at Zastava, not some waterfront garage. The Norinco has plus value, and so does a Tok without the safety.

11. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

the safety on the Zastava is on the slide, it works with the firing pin. to clean the firing pin and inside the slide, the safety has to be removed. (go to a bicycle store and get some 1/8th" or 3mm ball bearings. when the safety lever is coming out of the slide the detent ball hurtles thru space and lands in a hiding place. I wish I knew some good Serbian cuss words.) also the front sight might jump off the slide when firing the gun, a little epoxy fixes that. I've shot al kinds of ammo in this thing, never a hickup, eats everything.
    the original USSR Tokarev had a half cock notch in the hammer and no safety, they were carried without a round in the chamber. racking a round into the chamber was part of the draw.
    as a .32 fan, I'd like to find a USSR made gun in the original 7.62x25, supposed to be real zippy like a .327 mag.
    Norinco also made a 1911 clone.