Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The history channel has a show called "Forged in Fire" where people go and show their blacksmith talents. They go through 3 builds starting out usually with a knife, then install the handle and perfect their blades and it comes down to 2 contestants that go to their respective homes and build a specified weapon. The judges decide who wins and who looses. In the final build, if they are building some sort of sword, they set the swords in a vise of some sort and shoot the blade with a 1911 .45 cal. They shoot at the edge of the blade to test how hard it is. The blade must split the bullet fired. I have often wondered how they manage to get the .45 to hit the blade accurately enough to split the projectile. I am sure it is set up with a laser of some sort but how many times do they shoot and miss? It is all done in slow motion so you can see the bullet split. Then the judge says "this will keel". Anybody have any ideas on how they do that?

Just wondering if anybody would have any ideas.

Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
They call me,
I bring my Sprinfield RO, 1911..

They film me shooting that blade.

"Yank, Yank"

Tommy, I have no idea, your probaly right, laser, on locked in vise .45.
I watch that show also, cool show.:cool:

jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They call me,
I bring my Sprinfield RO, 1911..
Jim,

I suppose you are only 3 feet away so that's why you hit it every time!!!! (maybe closer?):dunno::cheesy:

Yank....................yank..............yank!!!

Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Jim,

I suppose you are only 30 feet away so that's why you hit it every time!!!! (maybe closer?):dunno::cheesy:

Yank....................yank..............yank!!!

Tommy
Fixed that for ya Tommy.;)

Jim

·
Registered
685 Posts
I used to be big in rendevous. One of the competitions was to split a ball hitting a target on both sides of the double bladed axe. Although there were misses, most shooters at least split the ball. Of course we used rifles.

In keeping with my Germanic Heritage I chose to emulate the Eastern mountain man, rather than the more commonly portrayed western mountain man. I shot a Jäger of 15.3mm. that's a .62 caliber for you normal 'Mericans. The big ball certainty helped!

I have never watched Forged In Fire, but you have me interested. Think I will watch it if for no other reason than to see in shoot!

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
I believe you will be disappointed if you watch just for the shooting, I have only seen them shoot a blade maybe four times in all their shows. Definitely not a common sight.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
It sees how well a person can adapt and overcome obstacles. It amazes me how some of these smiths can turn out some pretty amazing blades in so short a time. Some of them literally can't take the heat and some create knifes that don't stand up to the task. Plus I see blades from history I new nothing about.:cool:

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Yea...but they do give them hours to perform the tasks...just sped up edited to make it fit in a hour show.

First they design it...then rough the form out...then have time to perfect & finish it...then get judged on it.

4 smiths...two are eliminated...the other two go back to their home forges and duplicate a knife design from history...then return and be judged by trial.

IT WILL KEEL...!!

Right Old Hand !? ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts