Food for thought

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, Nov 6, 2015.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

From a guy I know, about being "sucked into a black hole"

As I AM a prepper...just thought I would share this with yall.

I think I have been sucked into some kind of black hole and landed in an alternative universe, really I'm not kidding.....

My wife works for a local utility company and they have started prepping for the possibility of zero electrical power generation for up to 2 years.

OK.. could happen I guess, possibly due to an EMP attack or as it has been presented to the utility company, it is almost a certainty that a cyber attack will be forth coming and the result will be the destruction of the power grid as so much of it is plugged in to the internet and accessible to hackers now, the utility company is in a panic trying to figure out how to undue the last 15 years of progress and unplug the power grid [from the internet] and protect it from hacking.

Reference links:

Stuxnet Attack On Iran's Nuclear Plant

There's Only One Thing Stopping Enemy Nations From Smashing America's Power Grid

It is thought it is too late and the power grid is so vulnerable this is almost a certainty before it can be unplugged and fire walled from hacking.

This is by the way due to new federal regulation that require utility companies to "prep" for such incidents.

Ahhhh, notice the key word "prep", this is the root of the issue and, I think what triggerd the black hole to open up sucking me in.

My wife asked me what would happen to us if the electrical power were to just one day stop with no possibility to be fixed for 2 years.

I replied, we would expect to live for maybe 30 days depending upon the season, then we would run out of food, run out of firewoord [if winter] and, get this - we would be over run by our friendly neighbors desperate for food and vary willing to use available weapons to relieve us, by what ever necessary force needed of our food, fuel and other useful stuff.

Our neighbor would kill us and take what we had, I calmly told my wife.

To which she replied, but we have GUNS.....

I calmly replied, sure do but the AR15 has over the last 10 years become the most popular weapon in history and our friendly neighbors will know doubt show up sporting multiple persons each armed with an AR15 ready to use it to get what they want and since we have mostly pistols it would be an unequal fight and we would lose [be killed].

Our only hope is to be able to meet this threat with overwhelming fire power on a military level, IE we need multiple AR15 style weapons and at least 10,000 rounds of ammo and I need to train you on combat techniques [load mags and keep spraying lead] along with battlefield techniques of dis-assembly and reassembly of the simple AR15 weapon platform so in a fire fight, if our weapons fail we have backups and parts to keep fighting [keep loading mags and spraying lead until the attackers give up].

I said all of this with a dry sarcastic style as in, this is what we need to survive, without it we have ZERO chance as when all those people in the local city run out of food they will begin to use the tools at their disposal and take what they need as the alternative for them is death.

I never figure she would actually take any of this seriously, at least the "we need lots of weapons and ammo" part. I figured she would just see this as a thinly veiled excuse for me to "buy more guns".

This is the "I fell into a black hole and landed in an alternative universe" part. I have been "ordered" to acquire the weapons and ammo needed for us to survive a quite possibly certain upcoming power grid apocalypse along with the other needed stuff such as firewood, generator fuel and long term store-able food plus other types of stuff that could be very useful such as seeds etc. Estimated budget around 10k

Looks like we are going to become prepers. I'm fine with this and really looking forward to the weapons part. My son is ex military and has had tons of training on modern M16 style weapons so we are going to employ him as a consultant in our "training" This should be fun.

So not sure what kind of black hole I fell into but I like the alternative universe I landed in, the one where women understand the need for modern weapons [lots of them and plenty of ammo] in order to survive an apocalyptic situation.

Now I just need to decide what type 5.56/AR platform to go with fewer but higher quality such as the sig 516 or cheaper but more quantity such as the del-ton AR15

Should I get 2 sigs or a whole rack of del-tons so as to have spares or enough to equip a small group as in 2 to 4 people along with plenty of spare parts and mags?

I have lots of general gun experience but little experience with the AR15 style weapon. I already know what my son likes, as he bought the Sig 516 a year ago for himself.

This whole conversation just took place tonight, I'll see what the attitude is over the next few days and if she still wants to go through with all this.

Robert ,

I told him to be prepared to be demonized and, be called schitzo, Physco...etc
    mostly by friends and family.

Jim

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I hear ya about getting sucked in the black hole. I have some food and ammo put aside but that's about it. I do have a generator but getting gas for that will be a joke. Besides if neighbors heart a generator running they will come running.
    I just read there are at least 24 jihad training camps in the USA. Obama/Kerry bringing in about 250,000 refugees will be nothing but bad news. I have read EMPs will not shut down the grid. Just a couple years ago there was a massive grid shut down in the mid east states. Interesting to see our government practicing isn't it?
    Look at what is going on in Germany, Austria, and other refugee camping countries. Expect all hell breaking loose real soon after 250,000 refugees come here. Supposed George Soros is funding these refugees. I am not sure if it is true but on the same day the debt limit was raised $333 billion disappeared from the treasury. Gee I wonder if that went to fund the refugees? Notice it is a 333 number.
    Going in the black hole this all could be leading up to the end times.

3. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I read on the lame stream news that there is a 12% chance of the sun causing an EMP strong enough to shut down the power grid.
    Don't know if it would get the whole planet or just the part facing the sun at the time.
    Seems there was one in the 1800's that screwed up the telegraph system big time.

Better keep a hand pump close by for your water well.
    I don't know if it's possible to prep for everything and anything. A guy would need an army.......

4. buster40c

I think our biggest fear of a grid shut down will not be from a EMP, although I do believe that could be used to explain it, but from a terrorist caused grid shut down.

5. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

6. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Solar power, large propane tank that can last months. Swimming pool water, water filters. Be able to hunt game. A garden depending on time of year. Canned goods, many five gallon sealed water bottles. Jerkey, might have to eat pets. Lol

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

The scenario above IS coming...and it won't be an EMP that takes out the grid.

Cyber hacks and old school methods will work...they have already caught a few home grown terrorists plotting and surveying the infrastructure of not just the power grid, but nuclear facilities and bridges as well. Take out the power for just one day and you'll see how fast society goes down the drain...take out a bridge and people can't get to work...causing a shutdown that can easily last more than a year...disrupt food distribution by poisoning crops with ammonia sprayed from a crop duster...drive a ammonia and fertilizer laden truck into a power sub-station...fly a plane into a nuclear cooling tower...I could go on....but you do see the reality of how easy it will be...and the clowns in charge ACT like they know what to do. It's a real and viable threat...yet this POS Obama and his ILK act like they got it covered....believe me...THEY DON'T !!

But...YOU KNOW IT's GONNA HAPPEN...And the ONLY thing YOU CAN DO is PREPARE for the INEVITABLE...

I got enough water and canned / dried food for two years...two safes full of firearms...enough ammo to fight WWIII...tannerite / reloading powder / ball bearings and fuse for IED's...20 6'x4' bullet resistant 2" thick clear plastic panels...basement walls that are 18" thick...medicine, medical supplies, operating instruments and manuals on how to treat bullet wounds and repair broken bones...bug out bags...two 4 wheeled vehicles...treated gas for about 8 months...5 boxes of sterno in 8 oz cans...a propane fireplace...a wood stove and stockpiled dry wood...and a hugh pile of coal I dumped in an outdoor covered bin last year...all manner of ropes and tarps...treated wood and nails for building and patching...and like minded neighbors who are also preparing and will band together because there IS safety in numbers....and I still am not prepared enough.

Banks will fail...$$ won't be worth the paper it's printed on...Gold and Silver ? Forget it...and that 401K won't be worth ****...cash it all in and do what you can to harden the target and survive my friends...IT'S COMIN'...and IT WON'T BE PRETTY !!

Good Luck My Friends...WE WILL NEED IT !!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I was talking to one of my step sons who is in LE and we were talking about the nuclear plant we have here in Az, which is about 40 miles from where I live. I was asking him about security around the plant and how it is guarded. He told me that there are 2 gates. The first gate will allow you in with proper credentials. The second gate you don't want to cross because that's where you can get shot without any warnings. Security is super tight and well guarded, which made me feel better. But I do wonder about other nuclear plants and how well they are guarded. Does the government actually have a protocol in place to protect citizens? Also, how about our power grids? Losing power in one of our grids for a week could cause all kinds of panic and disruption. We are so dependent on electricity that it could shut down entire cities and cause a lot of chaos. Your ATM cards would be worthless let alone the pumps at the gas stations and grocery stores. Really makes a guy wonder. Betcha the government won't even talk about this stuff-not in public anyway.

Tommy

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Have you folks read Lucifer's Hammer? The 'hammer' is a comet, the devastation is more extensive than what you envision, and the book is a little dated, but it will make the scenario feel real.

[I am old and have an incurable cancer that would do for me pretty quickly without the medication I'm getting - which I wouldn't be getting in a SHTF. I should be a member of the 1st line of defense, not the last. A couple guns, a canteen (I ain't saying the contents) and a few Snickers bars, that oughta do it.]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  10. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

I envision the end coming as in the form of a pandemic like in Stephen Kings book "The Stand" Much like the real Spanish Flu pandemic , it killed off more people faster than the plague.
    And seeing how our antibiotics arn't working so well _ theres actual strains of germs it cannot kill - I believe some crazy F'ers gonna let some weaponized strain of something lose before there is any end of the world because of war.

Read the book next time you get the flu. LOL!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stand#Plot_summary

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

HERE IS BREAKING NEWS....backing my theory above:

Iranian hackers infiltrated computers of small dam in NY

Iranian hackers breached the control system of a dam near New York City in 2013, an infiltration that raised concerns about the security of the country's infrastructure, the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday, citing former and current U.S. officials.

Two people familiar with the breach told the newspaper it occurred at the Bowman Avenue Dam in Rye, New York. The small structure about 20 miles from New York City is used for flood control.

The hackers gained access to the dam through a cellular modem, the Journal said, citing an unclassified Department of Homeland Security summary of the incident that did not specify the type of infrastructure.

The dam is a 20-foot-tall concrete slab across Blind Brook, about five miles from Long Island Sound.

"It's very, very small," Rye City Manager Marcus Serrano told the newspaper. He said FBI agents visited in 2013 to ask the city's information-technology manager about a hacking incident.

The dam breach was difficult to pin down, and federal investigators at first thought the target was a much larger dam in Oregon, the Journal said.

The breach came as hackers linked to the Iranian government were attacking U.S. bank websites after American spies damaged an Iranian nuclear facility with the Stuxnet computer worm.

It illustrated concerns about many of the old computers controlling industrial systems, and the White House was notified of the infiltration, the Journal said.

The newspaper said the United States had more than 57,000 industrial control systems connected to the Internet, citing Shodan, a search engine that catalogs each machine.

Homeland Security spokesman S.Y. Lee would not confirm the breach to Reuters. He said the department's 24-hour cybersecurity information-sharing hub and an emergency response team coordinate responses to threats to and vulnerabilities in critical infrastructure.

Any questions....!?

12. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

"Recently convicted of drunk driving". I guess that means those 5 'conforming' states pull the CCW along with the driver's license.

14. buster40c

The sorry politicians are so afraid when the shtf the people will be coming after them since they are the ones that caused it. That's why they want the guns. It has been said Obama and the money man Bloomberg are going to go full bore to get the guns in the next few weeks. All hell could break out real soon. You can almost bet we are going to see many false flag mass shootings in the near future to get the attention and approval of the sheople/public to take the guns.

15. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Just to be clear, you believe that the government is killing U.S. citizens and making it look like domestic terrorism or just some whackjob killing people in order to convince the population to repeal the 2nd amendment and confiscate all our weapons?

16. buster40c

Just watch and you decide for yourself.

17. gunslinger669

18. buster40c

This is quoted from before its news dot com.
    "Of course, it’s a conspiracy theory to ever question your betters, or to think critically of the same regime that murdered 500,000 to 1.3 million people in Iraq for fake nuclear WMDs…"

19. gunslinger669

And your point would be.....??