Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 9 mm RUGER PC chassis carbine with the Magpul adjustable stock.
Is there any aftermarket "knuckle" hinge for the PC carbine that can be used with either the Magpul MOE stock that comes with the PC carbine or perhaps another Magpul or other after market adjustable stock?

I know Midwest Industries sells a folding stock but I don't really like its hinge being so far back from the receiver. I'd like a "knuckle" as close to the receiver as possible.
SIG makes a nice hinge for their firearms but it is a dovetail fit so I'd need a special dovetail adaptor and I doubt if such an animal exists.

I'm upgrading this carbine with an MCARBO complete kit for better durability and maybe even a Franklin Armory binary trigger for days when I want to shoot dollar bills "in excess" using 33 round GLOCK joy sticks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you have model 19122 of the PC carbine, you could take the Magpul stock and its fake buffer tube off and put on any of the Sig stock on that mount to Picatinny rail.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
]After looking around the internet a LOT I think the folding "knuckle" that will work with several MAGPUL stocks is Midwest Industries adaptor with either a "buffer tube adaptor" or complete with a buffer tube to fit a stock. Talking to them tomorrow (if I can get an answer).
Then I'll get some kind of adjustable MAGPUL skeletonized stock to work with it.

BUT... I'll still have to get the RUGER butt/receiver end from a PC Charger that has a PIC rail on the back. WHEW!

If this works I'll post with photos.
Eric B.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Are you looking for a folding stock or do you want a side folding buffer tube to be able to use AR stocks? You keep saying the word knuckle, but you just mean folding picatinny mount correct?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
"0311",
I want a side folding stock but need that attachment point to be a vertical PIC rail for attaching a Midwest Industries BUFFER TUBE folding adaptor. I can buy it with the tube and use it on the factory-provided Magpul MOE stock by removing the wimpy I-beam piece IF the factory Magpul stock is there right inside diameter.

(BTW, RUGER will absolutely NOT sell that part separately. Why is beyond me.)
BUT the RUGER photo of the chassis carbine in their online catalog appears to show that it actually does have a PIC rail there so my prayers may already be answered.

MORE INFO: Brownell's sells the Midwest Industries folding adaptor AND both the Mil-Spec buffer tubes (1.48" OD) and the commercial diameter tubes (1.68" OD). Now I have to see which size tube my factory supplied Magpul MOE stock will accept, order it and the"knuckle" from Brownell's and I'll be in business.

Interestingly Brownells tech tells me the Mil-Spec tube and the commercial tuber use the same threads. He says the Mil-Spec tube threads are on a larger diameter section, natch. Why in hell would the military specify that dual diameter tube instead of just threading a straight tube like the commercial version does?? Probably because it costs more to make. Suspicions confirmed.

Eric B.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I want a side folding stock but need that attachment point to be a vertical PIC rail for attaching
Oh, I get what you are saying. You mentioned the Sig stocks, that is why I asked you that last question. Like this little guy, they make the whole stock that folds to the side and mounts to a rear pic rail if you are looking for something more compact than a folding buffer tube setup.
Bicycle part Automotive exterior Eye glass accessory Gun barrel Metal

Just trying to help you out man.

Why in hell would the military specify that dual diameter tube instead of just threading a straight tube like the commercial version does??
Because they wanted a forged 7075 part with taller threads.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the photo. The thing I like about it is that it will not block the charging handles on either side but I want something both more rigid and stronger than that and with the adjustability of the original Magpul MOE stock.

I'm "pretty sure" the Midwest Industries folding buffer tube adaptor will attach to the RUGER rear vertical PIC rail at the back end of the receiver. Then I'll remove the RUGER I-beam piece from the MOE stock and insert the buffer tube which has already been screwed into the hinge adaptor with blue Loc-Tite. Then I'll have a strong, adjustable folder.
(Should work.)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the photo. The thing I like about it is that it will not block the charging handles on either side but I want something both more rigid and stronger than that and with the adjustability of the original Magpul MOE stock.

I'm "pretty sure" the Midwest Industries folding buffer tube adaptor will attach to the RUGER rear vertical PIC rail at the back end of the receiver. Then I'll remove the RUGER I-beam piece from the MOE stock and insert the buffer tube which has already been screwed into the hinge adaptor with blue Loc-Tite. Then I'll have a strong, adjustable folder.
(Should work.)
UPDATE: The folding stock works perfectly! I set it up to fold left and clear the ejection port. Now I'm looking for a folding charging handle to clear the folded stock. IDEAS?
I'm getting an RMR type riser for my HOLOSUN 509T circle/dot fully enclosed sight but I've already added MAGPUL MBUS front and rear backup sights and front and pistol grip handle, M*CARBO bolt buffer pad, mag release button and extractor. Now I have a very reliable PCC that is even more reliable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My "science Project" build-out is nearly done when I get a RMR type riser for my HOLOSUN 509T circle/dot sight which is now on my RUGER 57 pistol. That sight is big for the RUGER 57 but perfect for the PC chassis carbine.
When all done I'll post a photo here. As they say, "This is a PROCESS!"😁

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will put the OEM charging handle on the right side but it is much faster to use a left side handle. And since that is what I use on my Steyr AUG and FN PS90 I have that muscle memory. A left side folding handle should be flat enough for the stock to be very flat against it.

Recently I installed a slightly more vertical MAGPUL K-2 pistol grip and short vertical grip on the forearm. Also I installed a new M*CARBO wide bolt lock lever B/C the OEM piece was not as easy to use. As well I put an M*CARBO mini muzzle brake on to help a bit with muzzle rise, which was not much of a problem to begin with. Now it has virtually no point of aim shift. I'm surprised how accurate this carbine is at 20 yards with just the MBUS "iron" sights. I expect that when I get my HOLOSN 590T fully enclosed circle/dot sight on a riser it will help me be even more accurate.

Sure the RUGER PC Chassis carbine is heavy but it is also very reliable and has an excellent cold hammer forged barrel which to my knowledge is only otherwise found on the H&K subguns. Tests I've seen on Youtube show RUGER's PC models will shoot virtually any 9 mm ammo of any bullet weight, design and cartridge material. That says a lot about good engineering and manufacturing tolerances.

By now it is much easier for me to list what is still original on my PC Carbine that what I added. 😉
Photos coming as soon as I get that "red dot" on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You'll like that red dot setup. I own a few different PDWs and when I put the micro red dot on my MPX I grew to like it alot more than the other tube style red dots I own on other PDWs I have. I was able to get a very low profile to with it when paired with some CZ scorpion low profile sights. Way closer to bore than my others that use flip up sights etc. Im curious to see how yours looks when done. Good luck

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hugh,
I already have MAGPUL MBUS flip up sights for backup that I've zeroed at 20 yards. I'm painting the front post with Da-Glo green fingernail polish.
Just received a UTG skeletonized riser and as soon as I get home to Nevada from the People's Republic of California I'll get it on the PC carbine.

Would you get a MAGPUL 50 round drum for this carbine? I'm thinking of it IF I get a Franklin Armory binary trigger. The MAGPUL drums are said to be themes reliable and robust.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well.. imo.. which ain't saying much btw lol. I always kinda steered clear of drum mags as a whole. Just cause they're x amount more likely to fail vs stick mags. Depending on makes.. models and calibers of course. But I found myself asking this tho. Would I rather have several compact stick mags I can stick in a back pocket.. plate carrier rig.. or mag pouches etc. Or have to be married to lugging around a drum pouch on belts or vests etc. 1 drum is typically about 3 times the size of a stick mag kinda. But typically never hold double what 2 stick mags hold. Meaning if a drum holds 50.. and two sticks hold 60. Then to me it was a easy choice. But if I did buy a drum it would be just so I could have a high initial capacity on a gun.. with stick mags on my person to replace it when it goes dry. Cause one bonus I do see with drums is they are more bipod friendly kinda when shooting from rest. Not sure about that exact gun tho cause I went the MPX route. But with MPXs they make stick mag extensions that are nearly double in length if ya want more rounds. Plus MPX drums too I think. Haven't looked honestly lol. And lastly price... many times u can get alot more spare stick mags for the price of a single drum. But some guns just look badass with drums tho lol. So there's that factor too lol. So I guess my long post kinda has an answer. Which is... yes.. no.. and maybe.. and kinda lmao. But now that u asked me I think I'll have to go check on some myself also lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
If ya do get a binary tho btw. I like my BFS111.. I held out till I could find one locally with the flat trigger bow. And it's not only fun to chunk ammo with. But also is a great trigger in single fire mode in general. Kinda reminds me of a Timney I own. Which is nearly the same cost. But lacks the double tap. Have mine setup currently with a green laser/light combo so I can flip on the laser and hip fire accurately faster than when shouldered. Pretty fun but yeah ammo goes fast

1 - 17 of 17 Posts