Fng

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by 773PPVM, Sep 21, 2017.

1. 773PPVM

773PPVM New Member

Hi all, glad to be here. In a few months, I'll be retiring after 36 years of combined military and Department of Defense service and moving from northern Virginia to Prescott, Arizona. I lived there briefly as a kid, and I was back a few years ago for a Gunsite class (Gunsite is just a few miles north in Paulden, and most students stay at a hotel in Prescott). The Ruger factory where they make their autoloaders is in Prescott, Vang Comp is next door in Chino Valley, lots of public land in Prescott National Forest for shooting, few restrictive gun laws, constitutional concealed carry...in general, it's a shooter's paradise. Add an abundance of Jeep trails for my Rubicon, gorgeous landscape, mild winters with just a little snow, normally mild summers (it's at high elevation), and you'll see why I'm excited to retire.

I was raised in hillbilly country, and have been shooting all of my life. I owned my first rifle, a Remington Youth Target .22 single-shot bolt action passed down from my grandfather, at age 8.

I've always admired Ruger for over-building their guns and for their great customer service, and I have several Rugers including an SP-101 (the older model with the rear sight integral to the top strap) with 3" barrel in .357 with Hogue monogrips and a tritium front post; a Volquartsen-modified Mark III with an air-gauged match-grade bull barrel and match fire control components; a new Mark IV that I use for training new pistol shooters; an American Rimfire Compact threaded-barrel .22 LR with a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Rimfire scope; and now my modified Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308 (see the separate thread).

Of course I also have quite a few non-Ruger firearms. My current collection is heavy on handguns and tactical-type rifles, not surprising given my military background. I've built a few AR-pattern rifles, and bought a few, in 5.56x45, 300 BLK, and 6.8 SPC. I have a couple of precision long-range rifles in .308, one a bolt gun (based on a Remington 700 SA) and one a gas gun.

I've had a lot of training from the military, from DoD, and at my own expense. I've taken pistol, tactical rifle, and precision rifle classes from military trainers; Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC); NRA; ITI Centerra; Pat Goodale's PFT; and of course Gunsite. I'm a certified NRA pistol instructor.

I look forward to sharing with y'all!

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Welcome to RT, 7. With further training you can become a Qualified RT Gunner.

[That training mostly is in dealing with the cage rattlers and chain jerkers that infest this place.]

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Rugertalk,

Thanks for joining us,

If you don't take some of these guys too seriously .....you will have a good time here,

Jim

4. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Welcome to the forum. My gal wants us to also move to Prescott, AZ. With the direction Kommiefornia is moving, seems we may be neighbors soon.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the R/T Brother !!

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Enjoy your time here on RugerTalk

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

WOW What an intro. You have had quite the life. If I was to move to AZ it would be up where it is cooler for sure.
    Forty years ago I took a trip out west and coming down out of the mountains into Phoenix it went from nice and cool to holy moely is it hot.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  8. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Welcome on board, down here in Tucson, Az, high today of 97 degrees,:D

9. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Welcome to the forum. I live in the "moley hot" region of Az. Mesa, just outside of Phoenix. Glad to have you on board and glad to see another Zonie on the forum. There are a few here but not a lot of us. At least you are in cooler temps. Handy and I live in the Hades of Az. and it may be a dry heat but so is an oven. I tell people to turn your oven on to 120 degrees and then tell me it is a dry heat. Anyway, welcome and hope you enjoy Az. and our family here.

Tommy

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome from Texas :tiphat: Glad you joined us.
    You picked a great place to move to... Prescott, Arizona. Congrats and I'm jealous.
    Been thru Prescott a few times, I'd love to live there.
    Looking forward to reading your posts.

:usa:

12. 773PPVM

773PPVM New Member

It's a beautiful town. Let me know if you end up there, we'll hit the range!

13. 773PPVM

773PPVM New Member

Oh yeah, I've spent some summers in Kandahar and it's a lot like that: like an oven. Flagstaff is even cooler than Prescott, but I don't think I want to shovel lots of snow in my retirement years, so Prescott is a great compromise. Just enough snow to make the trees pretty, summer temps seldom hit three digits.

14. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

That's an amazing introduction!
    Welcome to the family! You'll fit right in. Great group here. Enjoy!

15. 773PPVM

773PPVM New Member

16. regur45

regur45 New Member

Welcome aboard! Man, you will be having a great time after your retirement, especially the jeep trail riding. I was once been on W Pruse jeep trail when we test my buddy's Wrangler after the new lift, smittybilt bumper and tires installation. Had to cut short the trip though due to schedule. Have fun with your shootin' and jeepin'.

17. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

:dunno: chain jerkers? I'm not sure if VT is the pot or the kettle right now...:D and "infest" is such an ugly word...I think "graciously imbue these pages with wit and wisdom" is a far more accurate statement...;)

We have fun ribbing each other here, 773. So long as it's light hearted we encourage it. There are very few problems with it getting mean. So jump in!

18. conservative

conservative New Member

Welcome from Ohio. Sounds to me like you'll be interesting and knowledgeable addition to the RT clan . Have fun!

19. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Spike,

VT (Bob) sits all day when he is not shooting or reading girly books reads the encyclopedia and relays it on our forum so some of us have no idea of what he is saying without looking up some of the words. Then he comes on here with his scholary language and totally outwits many of us so we just sit here and scratch our heads thinking.......What did he just say????
    He was probably a language major in school prior to being retired or a government linguist teaching 20 different languages. I have a hard time just learning the English language. If he knew how many years I was in the 3rd grade, he wouldn't bedazzle us!!!:dunno: Taint fair for us folk that never had good fetchin up!!!
    Tommy

20. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I hear ya about the education problems, Tommy. 3rd grade was the best 4 years of my life too...
    I didn't know VT was a government linguist though. Do you suppose we can trust him if he worked for the gubmint? He might be an FBI mole, spying on us gun owners...better get my tinfoil hat ready!!!:cryinglaugh: