FMJ Ammo For Concealed Carry?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Dispatch, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

What are FMJ "ball", ammo cartridges intended for use in pistol calibers?

Wikipedia says:
    "The use of full metal jacketing in military ammunition came about because of the need for improved feeding characteristics in small arms using internal mechanical manipulation of the cartridge to chamber rounds as opposed to externally hand-reloading single-shot firearms. The harder gilding was less prone to deformation than softer exposed lead, which improved feeding."

I was always under the assumption they were mostly used for plunking at the range.

The reason why I ask is, I'm considering carrying them in a concealed carry instead of the more popular hollow point type cartridge. [​IMG]

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I asked an Afghanistan x-GI about the 9mm used over there. I said I heard the 9mm FMJ would go through a person and he said it goes through bodies like going through paper plates.
    Supposedly the reason for using the FMJ ball 9mm is because rather than kill an enemy it in most cases would provide a serious wound which now requires his fellow soldiers to carry him to get physical emergency aid. Instead of just one dead soldier this 9mm wound will possibly take 2 or more soldiers out of the battle.
    Also using hollow points are supposedly deemed illegal to use in war. Supposedly that is a myth not a fact.
    http://hcstx.org/2015/07/09/the-u-s...-hollow-point-ammo-where-do-we-stand-exactly/

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

3. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

FMJ for carry ammo?
    I don't know, most people swear by their Critical Defense or Fed HST and such.
    In the .45 you're starting out with a big ole honkin bullet in the first place. In a 9mm I would think some high tech HP might be better.
    I keep hearing war stores about the FMJ nine's not stopping the bad guys soon enough and soldiers wanting .45's because of the FMJ requirement.

I don't think there is any getting around the catch-22 thing. Any bullet you choose could be demonized.
    I carry HP ammo and hope I never need it.

4. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I believe FMJ are used in the military as a result of the Geneva Convention rules of war or something along those lines. I'm sure if I'm wrong somebody will make a correction.

Carl Crosby likes this.
  5. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

You are correct..................................you are responsible for every bullet that leaves your firearm. JHP bullets have more expansion, leave a larger wound channel, and less chance of going through your target than FMJ's. You would feel real bad, not counting the legal ramifications of your bullet going through your target and injuring someone else. If I didn't have anything else, something is better than nothing, but since they DO have hp's, I would much rather carry those for many reasons.

6. thumbuster

thumbuster New Member

Most of the time if I'm packin I'm in a vehicle on a trip. I almost always load fmj. If I'm taking fire from someone that's useing a vehicle for cover HP rounds may or may not help. On the other hand 45cap fmj is prone to richochet and deflection on impact. I am without experience with other cartridges in this regard. My house gun has HP loads in it. I feel they are better for that use. Less penetration richochet etc. Flat nosed truncated cone might make a better compomise but I'm fairly certain that any ammunition maketed as being for self defense that functions reliably in the chosen arm will be adequate.

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

We all have to make that decision for ourselves on which rounds to use for self defense. Personally I carry 1911 .45's and my carry ammo is Hornady Critical Defense. If you check out the gel tests, you will see they get good penetration. Problem we all have is should we ever have to use the weapon for S/D the first thing some smart azz attorney is going to do is ask for a ballistics rating and testing. A .45 makes a nice round hole but it can penetrate and as stated by berettabone, you would hate to injure someone behind the bad guy. That attorney will do anything to state that you had "man killer" bullets and it was an overkill. Attorneys have no scruples. The Hornady does have good bullet retention and the mushroom effect is very good. There are also other good ammo on the market. Personally, I would rather carry a hollow pointed round than a FMJ, however if push came to shove, and I had no other alternative, I would certainly use my 230gr. FMJ. One other thing I might note, it would be wise to carry factory rounds and NOT reloaded rounds. That gives the attorney more facts to be twisted around to his side. He would probably try to do it even if you were using wax bullets like they use in cowboy shooting. Sharks will not eat attorneys due to a professional courtesy.

Tommy

Carl Crosby likes this.
  8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Ohhhhh No, :duck: :duck:
    I stirred up a hornets nest on that one. :eek: I'm staying out of it this time........ ;)

9. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

The use of FMJ (Ball) ammo has some relevance whenever your target is all bundled up in heavy wintertime clothing, and/or certain other outer garments like denim jackets and such. The other place using FMJ ammo might be useful is whenever you're concerned about, 'punching through' barriers. This is, I think, one of the principal reasons, 'Why' most military forces continue to use it. Me? I've, sometimes, carried ball ammo during colder weather. Sometimes penetration can be your friend!

10. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

I think the only caliber I would consider purposely carrying FMJs would be .380 ACP.
    In more powerful handgun calibers, there's just too high of a probability for over penetration.
    JMHO. YMMV.

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I've heard something about the Geneva Convention requiring the use of FMJ ammo. Nogoat is probably right about that.
    Seems to me FMJ's might be useful if you need to shoot thru your windshield, car door or something.

They outlawed maximum penetration pistol ammo when the anti's started calling it "cop killer bullets" even though no cops had ever been killed with it.
    Most crooks never heard of it till the media told us and them how evil it was........ Not too sure they should have told them about the stuff.

Federal has advertised their HST has superior barrier penetration. Same for Hornady Critical Duty ammo.

If some nut is on the hood of of your car with an ax, you might want FMJ ammo.

12. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

Not the Geneva Convention. The Hague Peace Conference IV of 1907.

I couldn't agree with you more about how the organized national news media actually markets negative new reports and, thereby, propagates all different sorts of antisocial negative behaviors, including those crimes committed with firearms. Yes, the First Amendment does protect the right of free speech; but that right does not (or should not) included knowingly or deliberately injurious free speech - Which much of today's modern newscasts definitely contain!

13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

^^... BINGO ...^^

We got a winner...

Hague Convention...Article 23 (e) which states:

" ....it is especially forbidden to employ arms, projectiles,

and or materials calculated to cause unnecessary suffering to the combatant. "

14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

So we were half right, we got the convention part.
    Just didn't know which one.
    LOL

15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I'm a history buff....so I HAD TO jump on that !! :D

16. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

Unless you have no neighbors or other people in other rooms it's irresponsible to use FMJ in a defensive situation and also they most likely will not stop somebody from performing all further acts of aggression if hellbent on doing you harm unless a spine or brain shot happens. I competed for years and have been in deadly force situations and cannot think of over a handful of people walking the earth or ever to have walked the earth that can reliably nail the CNS (central nervous system brain/spine) while under extreme high duress!

17. stalkingbear

stalkingbear New Member

Unless you have no neighbors or other people in other rooms it's irresponsible to use FMJ in a defensive situation and also they most likely will not stop somebody from performing all further acts of aggression if hellbent on doing you harm unless a spine or brain shot happens. Sure it might kill them later but what good is that going to do you NOW? I competed for years and have been in deadly force situations and cannot think of over a handful of people walking the earth or ever to have walked the earth that can reliably nail the CNS (central nervous system brain/spine) while under extreme high duress!

18. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

When I was in the Military, one of our weapons sergeants told us when they tested the .45 FMJ round, they found it ricocheted as much as 11 times when they fired it into simulated dwellings. While the 230 gr. FMJ .45 hardball is an effective round, that one narrative has always made me reluctant to use FMJ.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019