Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My whole neighborhood looks like a lake and it's still raining. Can't tell where the road is. I went to bed at 9pm and a friend called at midnight to see how I was doing with the rain. I looked out my front door and the water was about an inch from the house slab floor. Now it is almost level to the slab and it still is raining hard at times. Flash flood warnings for the whole county till Tuesday. I doubt I will make it through this storm without being flooded.
The Sheriff scanner is telling that cars, roads, and many homes are flooded already, Many roads impassible and EMS can't even get to most emergencies without a boat. Supposedly a house down the road from me has collapsed. It still is raining hard for cripe sakes. Yeah I am pretty darn sure I am going to get water in the house before this is storm is over. I saw on the news Sunday before the storm even hit they predicted that my county could get 10". I will be surprised if that is all we get. Geeze it is raining hard again. This is not looking good that's for sure. It would be hard to even get out of my area with so many roads flooded leading out.
I guess I better get my rubber knee high boots on.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Sheesh! Hope that it stops raining! And that you've got food in the fridge!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is still raining. I will be surprised if the power stays on. I saw my radio was flashing so I know the power had gone out and came back on. The freezer is full.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Buster,

I know you Texicans have really taken a beating this year from all the bad weather. In fact it looks as if the whole southern tier of states have either been flooded or beat to hell with hurricanes. Hang in there buddy and I surely hope you don't ever get flooded. I survived 1 flood when I lived in Iowa and the mess it leaves behind is terrible. Water damage and the stench is enough to make you choke. My prayers are with you buddy, I hope you can get out without too much damage.

Tommy

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Dang buster, I thought of you when I heard about the flood warnings up your way.
It's raining here too, but we should be OK.
Hope you don't have to put your high water boots on.
Good luck buddy, keep your powder dry.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I have wet carpet in just a couple places. bad thing is it is still raining hard and expecting rain all day today and into Tuesday.
I now have water in some of the kitchen and utility room. And it STILL IS RAINING HARD.
Good thing I bought flood insurance.
Update.... bedrooms the water is above the carpet. I have water coming in from most everywhere now. I imagine it is liable to get up to the drywall before this storm is over. I don't expect I will be sleeping much. And it is pouring hard again. I can actually see the water moving in.
Update ....2" of water in every room now. It is still pouring down and not sounding like it is letting up.
My dog is barking at my sandals floating.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Hey buddy, looks bad, wishing there was something I could do.

All we can do, is pray for ya man, and hope that it stops raining, and little to no damage.

I have also been flooded , back in the early 80s, its horrible experience sitting watching it come in, and nothing you can do about it.

We survived it and you will too.

Keep us posted , if you can,

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I know you will hang in there and 'weather the storm'.

I am going to risk sounding like an a-hole here: Buster, I would mail you a couple sponges, but I guess the mail ain't getting to you.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
How are things going, Buster? Hopefully the water isn't getting any deeper. They front is expected to arrive here on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Surely it will run out of big rain before it gets here!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had about 4" of water throughout the house but it has drained off by this late morning. Here is pics in a.m. after the water seceded maybe a foot. They are saying this rain was qualified as a 500 year flood way passing the 100 yr. flood stage. My area had at least 15" of rain and South of me reported around 27" of rain. So glad that missed me.
The forecasters are saying we can expect more rain over the next 48 hours. I think/hope the worst is over with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Hopefully the worst is over! Good luck on getting the family back on track again. Prayers sent your way!

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
OK! Here's hoping there ain't much mud in it.

All I can do is hope, praying doesn't work for me, and you are too far away for me give you a hand. Dumbass jokes will have to do.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Watching the news I faired much better than others. Still have more rain coming but thankfully the worst of rain for the most part has moved on. As long as my drywall didn't soak up a lot of water then the repairs will not be to bad. Hopefully the appraiser will be out tomorrow so I can then rip out the carpets and the kitchen flooring so the place can dry out. For some reason I am doubtful he will show up tomorrow.

·
Special Dance Instructor
924 Posts
Good pics, bad situation B40.
Good luck and hope the water drops quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Yep, it stinks - in fact it's apt to smell pretty strong on the east end of town. When I was working field service for my company, I spent quite a bit of time at Reed Rock Bit, on the east end of Houston near the canal. There was standing water in the roads several times, once or twice a lot of it. Wasn't there when it rained like this time though.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Buster,

The one saving grace you have is having flood insurance. When the wall board gets wet, it acts like a sponge. Even though you don't see it, the drywall will soak up the water and higher than it looks when standing and looking at the wall. I used to work with the wall board plants in Iowa and the only strength is the wall board is the paper. Make sure you point that out to your insurance man, when he comes and don't settle immediately. If you have water in the house, you will have silt and stench for quite a while. Not trying to hurt your feelings, I don't want to see you get hurt with your insurance coverage. They know you are in a mess and want to make you feel good on your settlement, BUT they want to settle right away and you could have problems in the future, mold for instance. Don't let the appraiser give you the good ole boy deal. Hang in there and fight with them if you have to. Best of luck buddy!!!

Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the adjuster came and just about everything will be replaced or torn out. Lower 4' of all drywall. Basically all cabinets and flooring. Most all furniture. Talk about a spring cleaning! Anything damaged or not that I haven't used or even touched in the last year I am throwing out as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts