Flex Seal

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, Dec 10, 2016.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Have any you guys used this stuff?

How does it hold up?
    What have you used it for?

I have hand made porch rails around my front porch with spindles, and I have to paint them every 2 years.
    Just wondering if his stuff would hold up better in the weather.

flex.jpg
    flex2.jpg

Jim

2. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I'm afraid it will leave an ugly coating that will be hard to remove when (not if) it fails.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

A friend of mine said it didn't stop leaks for him.
    Here is a link you might be interested in. HA HA the buy one and get the second one free just pay processing fee scam. seems to apply here.
    https://www.trustlink.org/Reviews/Flex-Seal-206411326
    There are so many negative reviews this stuff must rate like a 1 on a 10 high scale.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  4. voodooridr

voodooridr Member

I used it to repair a rotted out spot in one of my rain gutters, cleaned the area, laid in a piece of window screen and sprayed the stuff over it, 8 years later and it still holds water.
    Not sure I believe you can make a boat out of it but it appears to work in small areas.

5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I'm thinking it would look like pickup truck bed liner.

6. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Instead of this band aid approach, exactly why do you need to paint the rails every two years? Seems you are just coating these rails with more and more paint, which in itself will cause failure. Spend some time and get rid of all the original paint. Yeah, it's tedious work but once it is done correctly, you will never deal with this again. Once it is clean and sanded, apply an indoor/outdoor oil primer, then finish with an oil base top coat. It is now sealed from moisture and weather, and should last 10-20 years.

7. phideaux

Its been scraped and cleaned , primered many times, over the last 17 years, .
    Started peeling and cracking about 10 years ago.

I have never used an oil base paint though.

It only happens on the horizontal flat surfaces, of the top rail, which is a pressure treated, decorative milled, 2x4.

WE have weather extremes here also, 105 dg to 0 deg , and extremely high humidity . :rolleyes:

I custom built these railings in my shop, and primered them before I installed them. There is 70 feet of them , and aint up to making new ones.:rolleyes:

Wifey suggested taking them down, but they look country charm on the 60 foot front porch.

I'm just looking for a easy solution.:)

Jim

8. havasu

havasu In the army now..

How about finding a comparable style in PVC material?

Hell, you can get fencing made out of PVC, so I'm sure it is out there.

9. phideaux

Yeah , whats that material called they make deck boards out of ?

If I could get that in a 2x4 , I could replace just the top rail, as that's the only part that's having problems.

That would be a lot of work also , removing every vertical , decorative , spindle from the top rail.

Wife may have the best idea...:(:rolleyes:

Jim

10. havasu

havasu In the army now..

11. phideaux

Yes they do,

I may look into that in the spring,
    We have a new coat of paint on them for this winter.

They are getting pretty knarly on top.

I was hoping to put a good coat of that Flex Seal and solve the problem...oh well.

Jim

12. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

Had some ants in the kitchen, looked outside by the foundation and driveway where I thought they were getting in. Sprayed the clear Flex Seal in the cracks to seal it up. The smell lasted for 2 days and that was on the inside. My better half will never let me use it again. By the way I haven't seen any ants since.

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I've seen that stuff on TV and my buddy in Oxnard, Ca. said he tried it without much luck. He ended up going to Home Depot and bought something similar to the Flex Seal and he said it worked better and didn't cost near the price they are asking on TV. He does some handyman work and he used it at Andria's restaurant down near the ocean and it has to stand up there.

Jim, I will call him and find out what he used and then let you know. The only thing I bought off of the TV is the flashlight they always advertise and they work good. However, better have a chit pot load of AAA batteries cuz they really use them up.

Tommy

14. havasu

havasu In the army now..

How about Rhino Lining? It works good in the back of pick ups?