Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was younger, I was enamored with the look and feel of the fixed sighted single actions such as the Vaquero. Probably the influence of all those Westerns I watched (and still do) growing up. I had myself convinced it was a quick acting, lighter, snag free design.

Years of use have taught me that my groups are much smaller with the Black Hawk design and that it has more practical application. I have found that I really don't get in any fast draw situations, and I can't remember that I have ever snagged it up on anything.

Though I have always been a blue and steel (or case color) guy, I find now my eye lingers toward the stainless models. I don't feel the need to clean them every time I pull the trigger and they have a rugged durable feel about them. And of course, they have a steel grip frame.

Perhaps it's a sign of old age. As I get more weathered and less durable, I want a revolver that can stand more weather and provide more durability.

Anyone else having this problem?

Reactions: rugertoter

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I can see your point made.
Now I am so getting into point and shoot and the results push me farther away from using the iron sights now.

As far as the rear sights getting caught on a holster I don't see that happening anyway. Most revolvers don't fit that far down into holsters to cover the rear sights, snubs not included.

I also see your point of stainless compared to blued steel. Blued steel does require more attention to avoid rust, pitting and finish removal.

Personally I think nickel guns can experience the worst finish problems. I really don't want a nickel finished gun.

Reactions: rugertoter

·
Registered
324 Posts
I can see your point made.
Now I am so getting into point and shoot and the results push me farther away from using the iron sights now.

As far as the rear sights getting caught on a holster I don't see that happening anyway. Most revolvers don't fit that far down into holsters to cover the rear sights, snubs not included.

I also see your point of stainless compared to blued steel. Blued steel does require more attention to avoid rust, pitting and finish removal.

Personally I think nickel guns can experience the worst finish problems. I really don't want a nickel finished gun.
I think nickel is kind of a thing of the past now. I have seen some 1911's, from the high end makers, being made with a brushed nickel finish, but think stainless steel has a much more forgiving finish, and can be had with almost any surface treatment you can think of.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Frontiersman I feel your pain. Used to be I would not own a shiney gun. Now I seek them out! I still clean them every time I shoot them, and even if I dont, they come out and take a bath from time to time.

I do some point shooting with my "social" guns, but I still sort of follow the front sight. Usually I take deliberate aim though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts