Flat gate Single-Six help

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Drm50, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Drm50

Drm50 Drm50

I have old flat gate single-6 that has a lot of sentimental value. It was dropped
    off belt with holster and hit with brush-hog. It's not as bad as it sounds. Blade
    just clipped end of barrel, didn't damage bore or crown. I have been looking
    for a original barrel can't find one. Does anybody know of a smith that could
    cut this barrel, recrown, and reset sight. The damage would let you have a
    4 3/8" without having to mess with ejector housing. Any info on a barrel or
    Smith will be appreciated.

2. Raineydaydog

Raineydaydog New Member

Old Single Six

Sorry but I really had to chuckle on that one, I'll tell you why, 1. I do alot of bush-hog mowing, 2. I too have an old R single six with considerable sentimental value, it was the 1st gun I bought 40+ years ago and I still have it. And I have mowed different items over the years like my hat and cups but never my hand gun! I do usually have a SR-22 strapped on to the loader frame Ouchy, my sympathizes .

3. Drm50

Drm50 Drm50

Flat gate SS

Did you ever hear stories about guy trading dog for something. The 1st timedog gets loose he goes back"home" That's kinda like this 6 shooter. Me and my best friend must have traded that gun back and forth 50 times. He past
    away a few years ago and I ended up with gun again. We had been going to
    have it fixed for 30 yrs. He was the one that dropped it, I'm the one who hit
    it, we were lapping with 2 hogs. I had been a ongoing argument whose fault
    it was. Well he's getting last laugh and I'll be getting repair bill.

4. Raineydaydog

Raineydaydog New Member

trade

Yup, been there. especially with a TC Contender in .45 Colt. Friend had it in a custom holster engraved with his name. I "owned" it several times, always threatened to change the name! Wish I still had it.

5. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

could you post a picture of the damage?

6. Gabby

Gabby New Member

If you can't find a good Gunsmith, any good tool and die machinist would be able to do it for you. My first Single six got some mud in the muzzle without my knowledge and when I fired it split the very end up through the sight which fell off, otherwise I wouldn't have even noticed it. My Older brother was a tool and die rated machinist and did the work for me.
    If you didn't know the difference you would never notice the change.
    You might contact Ruger and see what they have to say about it.
    Gabby

7. dandzivi

dandzivi New Member

Like Gabby says, a good competent gunsmith or machinist should be able to shorten the barrel and slot it for the front sight blade with no problem. Here's an OM Single Six I rebuilt last year. A local shop shortened the barrel from 5 1/2 to 4 5/8 for me. I already had it removed from the frame only charged me about $50 or so.
    [​IMG]

8. Gabby

Gabby New Member

There is just something about Ivory grips that sets a blued gun off so well. I'm looking for some good bone or antler to cut some grips from for imitation Ivory. I don't want the plastic ones, and I can carve wood or bone to make grips. I've made 2 sets from Walnut to fit the old High Standard Double Nine Longhorn Convertible, made the first set for my gun and a friend saw them and wanted a pair for his gun so I just switched them over and made myself another pair. My old Scroll saw makes it so much easier to cut the blanks correctly. I think a good beef leg bone or one from an Elk or other large beast would do the trick just fine. Now if I can just find some. My wife used to buy the big leg bones and cook them down for beef stock for her cooking and then give them to the dogs to chew, but the supermarkets here don't sell stew bones anymore.
    Gabby

9. dandzivi

dandzivi New Member

I made the grips you see on my Single Six from Holly wood. It's a very white hardwood that looks very similar to Ivory. And the grain in the wood resembles what you see in Ivory a lot more than any piece of polymer plastic! It works well too. The trick is finding the stuff! There are grip blank pairs on eBay right now, but they are only 3/8 inch thick.

10. Drm50

Drm50 Drm50

My old man was supervisor at a power plant. They had intake pumps to use
    River water for cooling condensers. The main bearings in pump were African
    Iron Wood. The bearings were in pieces in matched sets, like a barrel is constructed. Anyway they ruined a set while installing. He brought me a section
    to make grips for SBH. It cut similar to cast iron, the most misirable wood I
    ever worked with. I was making a semi- target style grip, got in a hurry and
    split off piece of thumb rest. Ended up just making stock shape grips. After
    all that work I traded them for a pair of Jay Scott phony Stags.

11. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Holly is used extensively in cabin soles for boats. You can try bellforestproducts.com for blanks and small board quantities. Advantage lumber company for larger quantities.

12. Gabby

Gabby New Member

You're right.
    You need a minimum half inch and 5/8th to 3/4 is better I did a pair for my stepson's 1911 and the scale blanks he bought were barely thick enough or wide enough to make them from and he bought them off ebay.
    Do you remember where you got the wood for yours. I'll have to do a search and see what I can come up with.
    From the photos I didn't notice anything that would have made me think they were wood. What did you use to finish them with? I'm thinking BLO would make them look like antique ivory, and yours are white as snow.
    Gabby

Just saw Gunslingers post, I'll be checking that out. Thanks GS
    Gabby

Been there looking at a couple of small boards for around $20.
    One at 9/16ths and another at 13/16ths thick, which thickness did you work from and would you recommend that to me or would you rather have had a different thickness?
    I'm leaning toward the 13/16" rather than the thinner piece.
    What say you Dan?
    Gabby

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  13. dandzivi

dandzivi New Member

The guy I generally buy from on eBay is NCwoods. After a email or two I convinced him and a few others to start offering blanks wide enough (2" min.) and thick enough (1/2 " min.) to make revolve grips. I generally try to buy 1/2" when I can. With that being said, I recently bought a table saw for the shop so I am no longer restricted to shopping for precut blanks now.

For finishing I use multiple coats of Mylands sanding sealer, sanding with1000 grit paper between coats and final finish is Mylands high build friction polish. I've had fairly good results with that, but may try a topcoat of polyurethane instead.

In conversations with NCwoods, he tells me you have a constant temperature below 70 degrees F before you can cut holly or it will develop darker streaks in the wood. So I have been waiting impatiently for several months now so I can stock up again. Customer demand wiped me out by Sept this year!We should be getting pretty close to that in NC these days I would think!

14. dandzivi

dandzivi New Member

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Going back to the original issue on this string, I thought some of you might like to see the barrel on DRM50's single six after we had the damaged portion removed and the end of the barrel recrowned. This should be going out on its way back home very shortly.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  15. Drm50

Drm50 Drm50

Back in the Saddle again. Got my barrel and frame back from Dan. Didn't even
    take my coat off before putting her back together. I couldn't be happier, gun
    looks like it came from factory with short barrel. Dan de barreled it and had
    his guys cut, crown, and reset sight. Even touched up muzzle. Crown was cut
    just as original on this old flat gate. Can't thank Dan Dzivi enough for beautiful
    job. If it wasn't dark and raining I would be out shooting it.

Attached Files:

16. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

I guess no before pictures eh?

17. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Sounds a lot like AZ ironwood, it has to be cut and drilled with tools used for cutting metal. Forget about cutting it with an axe it will just ricochet off and chances are cut your leg for trying. Beautiful stuff when finished though with such dense growth rings and walnut color.
    Gabby

18. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Dan did you do the engraving and the other mods to this gun. I would have given it a "Love it" instead of a "Like it" if there had been one.
    I'm curious how you were able to incorporate the birds head grip frame. Care to tell us what you did to this beautiful gun?
    I have an old beater I'll trade you straight across so you can get some more practice. Big cheesy :D
    Gabby

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

19. Drm50

Drm50 Drm50

Pic of Ruger Single-6 barrel with damage from brush hog, before Dan tuned it
    Up.

Attached Files:

20. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Definitely an ouchy, but it sure could have been worse, glad they were able to save it for you, the earlier shots showed they did a great job.
    Gabby