Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend was visiting fro GA.

He wanted to walk out to my pond and take a look.

He seen these little tiny frogs hopin around, he grabbed one and stuck it on a hook , of one of the rod and reels, I keep layin around on the dock, tossed it in and in 2 min caught this guy...

It was too hot out there for me

Yall know what it is ?

http://postimage.org/app.php

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
That black spot at the back of the gill is your clue.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I could be wrong which I am most of the time, but when I lived in Iowa we used to call these small mouth bass. They are a popular fish in the midwest and guys go out to catch them all the time. Good eating from what I hear cuz I don't eat fish but they are fun to catch.
Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
After doing a search I agree with Magnum. But then I think Tommy is correct.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
After doing a search I agree with Magnum. But then I think Tommy is correct.
Not real smallmouth bass (which looks a lot like, and is approximately the same size as, the largemouth bass). In my neck of the woods we call them pumpkinseed, probably because of the black spot.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
That is a big bluegill or the camera was really close.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He said it was about 10" long, but yeah, I think he had his iphone up close too.

But, that pond will give up 1/2 lb bluegill on a regular basis,

There are 8 lb largemouth bass , and god only knows how big the Bluecats are. 15 lb+.

I only fish for bluegill once a year just for that one good fish fry.:cool:

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
He said it was about 10" long, but yeah, I think he had his iphone up close too.

There are 8 lb largemouth bass , and god only knows how big the Bluecats are. 15 lb+.

Jim
If I were you and with your luck, I would stay outta that pond. Did you ever hear the story of a guy who was swallowed by a whale or the whale that was white and he attacked a submarine and almost wrecked the Teddy Roosevelt air craft carrier???? I wouldn't push my luck. I see all those stories on River Monster on TV and I would have that Jeremy guy come down and let him wade out in that pond. He's always looking for "monsters". Just my very humbled opinion is all!!!!!!!

Stay outta the water!!!!!!

Tommy the monsta killa:metal2:

·
Registered
4,692 Posts

Jim

I'm SOOOOOO MOVIN IN!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts

Jim
You should put some hybrid bluegill in there if you want a really good fish fry. The ones I put in last year when I restocked mine are already the size of my hand in just a year.They're a lot bigger than the regular bluegill and redears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts