First post, Some thought on the SR45

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by ECVMatt, Apr 16, 2013.

1. ECVMatt

ECVMatt New Member

Hello to all. I have notice that there is not a lot on the SR45 here, so here is my post from another board. I am glad to find this site; I love my Rugers...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I finally got out there and put a 150 rounds through it. I would have shot more, but the wind was blowing about 40 mph out there this weekend. The gun ran great and ate up 100 rounds of CCI Blazer and 50 rounds of black box Wolf. I could not do any accuracy testing because of the wind, but on informal targets it hammered with ease. I found the magazines easy to load with no loading tool. It is a very soft shooting gun! I shoot a lot of 9mm, .45, and 10mm. This is the softest shooting .45 I have ever shot. Not sure why, but it is really soft on the hand. There were no malfunctions of any kind and the gun was subjected to a couple of hours in the blowing dust and sand. I know that it is not really a long term test or testament, but so far it is a real winner.

I forgot to mention the trigger. It is great! I fired 50 rounds with the mag safety out and could not tell the difference. It is very easy to transition from other striker fired platforms and is very light and crisp.

and some pics, sorry for the poor quality, but I could barely see the screen...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the Ruger Talk Forum Matt !!

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Rugertalk.
    Good shootin and good lookin .45.

Jim

4. dutchs

dutchs New Member Lifetime Supporter

I love my wife's SR9...I am buying .45 only handguns and I think I really want the Ruger:D

5. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Sweet looking SR45.....btw welcome to RT....

6. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

I find it hard to believe nobody on this forum has first hand experience with the SR-45.

Here are some good online reviews...

Jeff Quinn does a thorough examination of the new SR-45:
    http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR45.htm

Guns and Ammo examine the SR-45 side-by-side with the SR 1911 CMD:
    http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/power-pair-ruger-sr1911cmd-and-ruger-sr45-review/

And Truth About Guns does a good write up on the new poly 45:
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/02/robert-farago/gun-review-ruger-sr45/

7. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

8. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to the Ruger Talk Forum !

9. jbardellini

jbardellini Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum!!

10. JimThornTX

JimThornTX New Member

I'm not familiar with the DAO Rugers. Can you explain what the mag safety is? :confused:

11. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

Welcome from Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    I am jealous. I have an (JUST ONE) Sr40c. have shot my friends SR1911
    On mine if you drop the magazine, the gun won't fire, even if you have a bullet chambered (Extra Safety feature, I am new to guns and appreciate all the added safety Ruger gives. Some get annoyed at these features)

12. ECVMatt

ECVMatt New Member

I think the first mass produced handgun with a mag safety was the Browning Hi-Power. Smith and Wesson have used them too. It is very simple to remove on the Ruger though, unlike some other designs. I simply prevents the gun from firing without a magazine inserted. Some police like this feature as they can eject the mag and a bad guy would not be able to use their gun against them. Other cops hate this as they feel it could take them out of the fight is the mag release is accidently hit.

I guess Ruger covered all bases by making it a breeze to remove with no effect on the gun.

13. refugee

refugee New Member

i bought the first one i found. same when the SR40 came out, just because i liked my SR9 so much. polished up some of the internals and ordered some upgrades from GALLOWAY PRECISION. all three have almost identical triggers and function perfectly. accuracy is better than i am by far. when i do my job the SR's all do theirs. am currently carrying the SR45 just because i prefer the caliber.

14. olddon1

olddon1 New Member

I just sold my Sig P250 so I can buy a SR45 and really am looking forward to it. I started shooting autos with a Ruger 85 then went to 89, I also took my CCW with a Ruger and so I will end up with the SR45. Living in Arizona I giess it is only right I go back to Ruger and I will be proud of it. To all the gun snobs.... I have owned Rugers, Glocks, Sigs and still prefer Rugers. ENJOY

15. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

I've got the SR40 and both the SR9 and SR45 are on my gun bucket-list! Great review...thanks for posting!

16. ECVMatt

ECVMatt New Member

Quick update:

My local store just got in a ton of .45, so I felt comfortable going out again and blasting away. I put about 120 rounds through the SR45 with no problems. It shoots so easy it is hard to believe it is a .45. I am going on an extended trip up near Death Valley, so I will get a better chance to try it out and see how it holds up after a few good days of dirty, dusty, desert riding.