Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to get my first conceal gun. I currently own a 9mm, full size of another brand. I have narrowed my search down to a LC9,LCP, SR9C or a S&W body guard. Any advise would be appreciated. And the reasoning behind the advice too.

Thanks! Kirk

·
Registered
71 Posts
How are planning on carrying? IWB or OWB. That could make a difference. Also, your wardrobe... Whether your clothing can conceal a larger firearm.

With that said, I carried a LCP as my EDC for many years (carried OWB on my hip). Now I usually carry a Glock 42, same way. I have small hands so most larger, double stacks are to big for my hands. My "muffin" top also made it uncomfortable to carry IWB, but I have since lost some weight (yay) and can carry IWB now.

Go to a range that rents and try all of them. Then consider how, where, etc. you will conceal each one. Can you quickly and easily deploy from that location? Whatever you choose needs to be 1) comfortable, 2) concealable and 3) enjoyable or comfortable to shoot.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
My vote would be for the SR9C. It is still small enough for CC yet it will not have near the flip recoil of either the LCP or the LC9. I have seen them priced $395- $425. I have an SR40c and it was my main carry chosen over many of my other semi autos including Glock compact and SA XDM compact. I now carry an LCR 357 in my jeans front pocket. For the money you can't IMO beat the Ruger for the money and reliability.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Of those listed, I'd go LC9S or SR9C. Unlike the hammer- fired LC9, the new striker-fired version is giving the Shield some serious competition in the SS9 field as a top value CCW.

I like the SR9C too.

I'm just not a fan of SS380s as a first CC gun. As a BUG, last resort or deep carry, sure. But, as a primary-only EDC, I'll pass.

As a rule of thumb, you want to get a few hundred rounds down range in your CC gun before you trust it enough to carry it. But, .380 ammo costs more and does less than 9. Makes no sense. You've got 9mm ammo already. Why complicate things?

Save for the new LCP Pro, the Elsie P sights suck. The BG is a great-looking gun, but I've heard it's pretty finicky with ammo.

The Elsie9 and SR9C win hands down, IMO.

YMMV. ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I say cc must be no more than inch wide. Rule 2 must be no thumb safety. Otherwise pick one that feels good in the hand. I have a number of cc brands. I probably carry the LC9 the most. I just like mine. Shoots great. Easy to carry with several different holster options per season and dress. I have several different 9mm and 380 Handguns I use. Depends on my choice for the day.

·
GPNP
4 Posts
My personal choice right now is the Ruger LC9s (not the Pro) with an IWB from the Holster Store. This combo is very comfortable and easily concealed. Try as many guns as you can. Also single stack versus double stack can affect comfort and concealment.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I carry the LCP mostly (IWB), but really like my Kahr CW-9 (usually IWB too).
Welcome to RugerTalk.

Both are fine handguns.

I invite you to go to "Introductions" and tell us a little about yourself.
Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just narrowed it down to one of 2 today. I am thinking either a new LC 380 or a used Glock 42. Both fit my hand well. both are virtually the same price. Any opinions one way or the other cheerfully solicited.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just narrowed it down to one of 2 today. I am thinking either a new LC 380 or a used Glock 42. Both fit my hand well. both are virtually the same price. Any opinions one way or the other cheerfully solicited.

I have both. I prefer the G42. Fits my hand and it's very accurate. Has actual sights that I can see with my trifocal.
ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1423154494.856989.jpg
25 yards with G42. First time I shot it at that distance. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is a very good article in this months edition of American rifleman magazine about the Glock 42. There are tons of reviews of the Ruger out there. Let us know which way you decide to go. Good luck!

·
Registered
246 Posts
wound up having help with the choice. I walked in to my local big box store at their sale. I had decided on the Ruger until on a hunch I walked into their used department and saw a g-42 in new condition in the box with 2 mags for shall we say a very fair price. I got the glock, took it home, cleaned it, went to the range. The first shot, oh crap stove pipe. Every other one of the hornady's performed flawlessly. at 7 yards I kept all shots (2 hand hold) in about a 3" circle, 10 yards one hand rapid fire about 5", 5 yards one hand again about 3". recoil was not bad (or so bad as to hurt my arthritis {my goal}). I am happy overall but I must comment that they trigger felt really heavy and the edges of the trigger were sharp feeling on my finger. I took the gun to a local gun shop and they tested the trigger pull 3 times with an average of 7.5 pounds. The guys at the shop said the glock is supposed to be around 5.5 pounds and they felt I should contact glock which I will do Monday. Thanks to all of you for your help. you made me feel much more informed and confident to make my purchase.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congrats on the G42. See what Glock says. After that, if still not happy with the trigger, put in a Ghost trigger. Makes a real easy and smooth pull. Only drawback to that is that you will limited to Federal primers.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
wound up having help with the choice. I walked in to my local big box store at their sale. I had decided on the Ruger until on a hunch I walked into their used department and saw a g-42 in new condition in the box with 2 mags for shall we say a very fair price. I got the glock, took it home, cleaned it, went to the range. The first shot, oh crap stove pipe. Every other one of the hornady's performed flawlessly. at 7 yards I kept all shots (2 hand hold) in about a 3" circle, 10 yards one hand rapid fire about 5", 5 yards one hand again about 3". recoil was not bad (or so bad as to hurt my arthritis {my goal}). I am happy overall but I must comment that they trigger felt really heavy and the edges of the trigger were sharp feeling on my finger. I took the gun to a local gun shop and they tested the trigger pull 3 times with an average of 7.5 pounds. The guys at the shop said the glock is supposed to be around 5.5 pounds and they felt I should contact glock which I will do Monday. Thanks to all of you for your help. you made me feel much more informed and confident to make my purchase.
I had the same "sharp" trigger on a Glock 26 gen 3. I tried to meticulously take a file and smooth it up. I also took the weapon over to Glockmeister in Mesa, Az and they said the only thing they could do was to change out the trigger assy. I ended up trading to 26 for another weapon. I also have a Glock 19 gen 3 and it has about a 4.5 lbs. trigger pull and feels "gritty". I carry that sometimes as my CCW. You can get that trigger smoothed out however it may be a little costly. I agree, get ahold of Glock and talk to them about it. One of the shop managers name is Peter Laing and he is very accommodatable and will try to help you. More than likely you will have to send your lower into Smyrna, Ga and they will do the repair. I hope you luck with this situation. Oh, BTW, my final fix to my problem was to decide to carry my Ruger SR1911 as my CCW. Granted it is a little heavy however with the right holster you can carry without too much of an imprint. I also have heavily arthritic hands however the 1911 is so well balanced that the recoil doesn't bother me. To each his own and we all have to do with what we have to work with. Good luck!!
Tommy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts