First 1911

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by mriffey22, May 28, 2018.

1. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

I’ve wanted a 1911 since I saw the movie “cobra” as a little kid . Finally bought one! Took my Ruger to the range Sunday and performed great. I was more accurate with my sprongfield XD that day but that’s been my primary for awhile so that was to be expected. When I first brought the SR1911 home however, I thought the trigger was a little loose and had a bit of take up. After 100 rounds the trigger actually tightened up and the gun seems even tighter in a good way. I thoroughly cleaned and lubed and trigger still felt better than out of the box initially. Loving this gun at this point and can’t wait till wed to go shooting again. I’m new to the forum so thanks for reading.

deputy tom, slowthor and rugertoter like this.
  2. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Congratulations on your 1911. Someday I'll get one for myself, until then I'll need to drool over other people's (hint, we like pictures).

Also, welcome to the forum.

3. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

Thank you. IMG_0305.jpg IMG_0306.jpg included a couple pics. Have a good one, man.

4. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Congrats, that's one nice pistol.

I've never owned a real 1911 but I could hit well with every one I've fired.
    Been considering the new Ruger 9mm 1911 with the 3.6" barrel for carry.
    Gonna hold off a while to give em' time to find any possible bugs and give me time to decide between the Ruger or the Springfield EMP.

69camaroRG likes this.
  6. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

I hear ya. That was my tough decision as well. I couldn’t decide on the Springfield loaded or the Ruger. I ultimately made my decision and based in on a couple of things. One, the Ruger is a series 70 1911 and I liked that aspect. Also, the amount of time Ruger invested to put out a pistol that had so many of the characteristics of the original impressed me. Finally, I live in AZ and the the “Prescott AZ” engraved on the side I think looks bad ass lol. As a side note, I picked up a relentless tactical suede holster and carry that full sized 1911 with no problem. But take into consideration I’m a pretty big framed dude so there is very minimal printing. Good luck in your decision!

HootsG19 likes this.
  7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Dang!!! That looks just like mine!!! The numbers are different though!!!

The Ruger SR1911 is one of my favorites. Mine is tight, with no slop at all. Likes to be kept clean. More of a target gun than a working gun.

8. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

Definitely likes being cleaned which isn’t a problem for me. I really enjoy cleaning my pistols and rifles. I usually end up cleaning my friends as well :). May sound strange but I find it relaxing. Had a great range day Sunday, gun is super accurate in my opinion as well. More accurate than my abilities are. Ha!

9. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Nothing like a really good 1911. Looks, feel in hand, trigger action and function.
    I have a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 and I doubt I will ever part with it. From the first time holding it in my hand to the first time shooting it I was hooked on it.
    Many members here have the Ruger 1911 and they just love them.

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

When you say it likes being cleaned...
    Does that mean it may act up if not clean enough? Do tell.

11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

If his is anything like mine, it is a very tight fitting handgun. No slop at all. Imagine a Colt Gold Cup vs a Colt GI model. The Ruger SR1911 is like the gold cup. It will function dirty, but not too dirty. It just doesn't have the looser tolerances. It does have the advantage of the accuracy gained from being so tight.

Mine also likes to be run wet, like the AR-15.

12. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

It’s been flawless for me, however I’ve only put about 300 rounds through it. I haven’t heard at many issues either from others. What I was referring to is that after the range they do get som carbon on them and I just prefer a clean gun for looks and also long term reliability. Opinions may vary :)

13. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Thanks guys,
    My carry gun will probably be too clean (if you ask my wife) so no problem with tight fitting parts.

mriffey22 likes this.
  14. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

Are you planning to carry the 1911 concealed?

15. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yes, I've gone from a D/A-S/A type to a striker fired then to another D/A-S/A.
    I've had a couple of 'baby' 1911's (380) but not a real one.
    I have a hard time keeping up to sniff (accurate enough) with the D/A-S/A types and I just don't trust a striker to fire every time. (Long story) LOl
    So yep I'm out to get real 1911 for carry.
    We have open carry now so if it happens to show or print sometimes... I don't have to care.

mriffey22 likes this.
  16. BigDogJames

BigDogJames BigDogJames

Some may say I'm a "Ruger fan boy", and I admit I'm very partial to Rugers. That being said, I own four SR1911s, one full size, one CMD, one lightweight two tone CMD, and finally one night watchman lightweight CMD. ALL have been great out of the box, except for the steel CMD, but it just took a little longer to break in and now is fine. I also have other 1911s by Colt and Remington. Although I like and enjoy all of them, the night watchman # 6720 is by far my most favorite.

69camaroRG and mriffey22 like this.
  17. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

It actually carries IWB much better than I expected. I went with a suede leather belt clip holster that’s really easy to deal with and small. I always wear an undershirt so being against bare akin isn’t an issue. I don’t always carry it, I carry an XD service most of the time but I do carry the 1911 concealed once a week or so just because I like it so damn much. Handle does print a bit, but hell, I live in AZ and our 2nd amendment rights are still all pretty much intact like yours are it sounds like.

69camaroRG likes this.
  18. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I bought anSR1911 in september of 2012 and I now have over 8000 rounds through it without so much as a hiccup! The most reliable 1911 I have ever owned.........and I've owned several.

mriffey22 and BigDogJames like this.
  19. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

That is good to know! From all the research I did before purchasing, it seemed like I was getting the most for my money with the Ruger. My only other Ruger is a AR 556. Many people called it a budget AR but I have to be honest, that rifle is flawless in performance and very accurate out to 300 yards and shoots 1 MOA consistently at 100 yards with irons. It’s good to know I can expect the same performance from my SR 1911.

slowthor and 69camaroRG like this.
  20. Uncle_Louie

Uncle_Louie 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 XL

Be careful it's addicting. I up to 3 and still looking.