Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range today and fired my 9mm and .45 and did something I never thought of doing. I wore my reading glasses just to see how I would do. The front sight was clear as a bell however the target was a little more blurry than expected, however I could see the bulls eye. The red dot in the bulls eye was really blurry and the 10 ring was also however I just focused on my front sight. I think the 10 ring is about 3" and I kept them (all except) for 5 in the 10 ring. Had 5 fliers that landed in the 7 ring. The 9mm I kept them in the 10 ring except for 4 that went into the 9 ring. I was shooting @25 feet. Took a little while to get used to and I am sure that it will take more time. All said, it turned out to be a good day. Course any day at the range is a good day (except for the heat we are having). I was doing double taps all through my exercises.

Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
So was that better than what you do normally? My sight with reading glasses on would make distances really blurry. My old glasses actually make distances blurry also. I don't even wear my glasses anymore for distance since my sight has gotten better. Reading is another story, I need 1.25 for reading. I am like you in that anything past my front sight would be blurry with them on,

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My readers are 1.50 so my eyes up close are a little worse shape than yours. I do notice that street signs are becoming a little more difficult to read however Mesa has terrible street signs with very little lighting at night. I could see the red bulls eye however it was really blurring. I set the top of my sight right on the top of the red dot and was hitting middle or some at 6 o'clock. I have a tendency to take out the target on the 3 o'clock side and I have never adjusted my windage. I know I may have to do that but I gotta buy a brass punch before I do that or have a gunsmith tap it for me. That could also be not enough grip on my strong hand but doubtful.
I will try again next week Buster and see how it turns out. I know if a BG approached I won't have time to put my readers on unless he is a blind man too!!!!

Tommy

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
The service always taught clear sights slightly blurred target. If I tilt my head back using my bifocal on the sights I get the same sight picture you described, gives me a kink in the neck after a while. Now that I am shooting at an indoor range I also used this technique. Shooting outside I can see the sights fine through the top of my glasses. The lighting in the range hits the sights wrong making the sights blurred.:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
They also make shooting glasses with a "reader power" band across the top and you can also get them with a clear opposite lense. Supposed to make sights clear and target clear with opposite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts