Firearms from House to Car to Range

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by brenthg, Jan 11, 2016.

1. brenthg

brenthg Professional Surveyor & Mapper

I live in Florida and although I have a Concealed Weapons Permit, for those who don't have a CWP, how do they legally get their firearm from the house to the car and then to the range in an open parking lot?

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I believe it is due to the castle doctrine as well as being on property that allows guns or being on property they either rent or own. I also imagine that is why guns are carried unloaded in gun cases to and from these places. I believe there are loop holes for carrying guns to and from hunting or target shooting.
    Welcome to the forum.

3. havasu

havasu In the army now..

In California, the ammo/loaded magazines must be carried separately, like a trunk or locked glove box.

4. winman1550

winman1550 New Member

I had to think about that question for a minute and read again to see if i was missing something. I've never had a ccw/cpl and have done this routinely for best part of 30 yrs. As long as the weapon is'nt sitting next to me fully loaded, your ok. Any weapons go in the trunk, backseat, glovebox, ect... And the ammo is in another place sealed up your golden. I routinely go shoot with the local police dept. At the range and will typically take 4-5 guns and the ammo. Never a problem! And no cpl.

5. smokier

smokier New Member

Greetings And Welcome from Eastern Iowa.

If no CCP is in place, the weapon has to be secure and unloaded. It must also be out of a persons' LUNGE or REACH area. So in the weapon's case, unloaded and locked in the trunk. Or locked in a case in an area of the car not reachable by you from where you are located. Ammo need to be in a separate secure storage. If I travel through Ill. The ammo is locked in the glove box and the weapon is [are] locked in the trunk. SUV have no trunk, so all the way back by the rear hatch for example. An area where one could not simply turn around and grab it.

State laws do differ, so know your local laws is the best answer.

:)

6. brenthg

New to this Forum - Question about conveying firearm.

I've been a member of this forum for several months now and rely on it as one of the best places for information about my Ruger SR9 and other firearm related topics.

I was taught at a very young age about firearm safety out on my Grandpa's farm back in Kansas. Grandpa use to protect his livestock with a .22 rifle against the pesky coyotes that were abundent in the Mid West. When we moved to South Florida, I didn't have any further exposure to guns and when I got married and had kids, my wife wasn't too keen on guns anyway.

Last year we bought a big motorhome, anticipating our retirement and she brought it up about purchasing a gun to carry when we travel. My son and I took the CWP training together recently and obtained our permit and bought handguns for home defense and personal protection.

We have been going to the range a couple of times a month and getting familiar, taking it slow and considering carrying daily after receiving more training.

I'm glad to be a member here and consider this one of my first references for information about my SR9 and other valuable info found here.

I hope everyone has a prosperous New Year.

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RugerTalk,

Thanks for the introduction..

Jim

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

"Last year we bought a big motorhome, anticipating our retirement and she brought it up about purchasing a gun to carry when we travel."

Well, I hope you know that in each state you travel to...the concealed carry laws are different.

And even though there are reciprocity laws with Florida for most states...you better make a mental list of what law pertains to where when you do leave Florida.

9. brenthg

Recpricoty Laws

Thanks Shooter, I've been reading up on this issue when traveling and I ran across an App for my smartphone that provides a quick reference for each state. It's called: CCW: Concealed Carry 50 State Guide

10. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Well said buddy!