Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke the SR down last night to clean (it was already very clean), get to know, and oil.
I read in the owners manual that only a light oil coat is necessary, but I am very used to Sigs and their call for heavier lubrication. It goes against my grain to not lightly grease the rails- what are your experiences and opinions? I use either TW25B or Superlube, and apply it lightly (not goop or gunk up) to my Sig rails and barrel.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to oil the rails. If you saw my rails you might think they fell in the gunk tank (not really) but the secret is to keep the rails oiled. I have the full size and Commander stainless steel however not the lightweight. I had a chance to feel one the other day and man it felt good!!! Trigger was nice and I was surprised at how much lighter it was. Good for you. Again, welcome to the forum and as far as your lightweight-you chose wisely grasshopper!!!!
Tommy

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to oil the rails. If you saw my rails you might think they fell in the gunk tank (not really) but the secret is to keep the rails oiled. I have the full size and Commander stainless steel however not the lightweight. I had a chance to feel one the other day and man it felt good!!! Trigger was nice and I was surprised at how much lighter it was. Good for you. Again, welcome to the forum and as far as your lightweight-you chose wisely grasshopper!!!!
Tommy
I had set out to get a full stainless Commander, but 1) my favorite LGS had sold the only one they had the day before, and 2) they had two lightweights in the case. Once I handled it, I was sold. I have a Sig P220 Elite Carry (Reverse Two-Tone), which weighs a ton. The Ruger is just about perfect.

I know that when it comes to lube, opinions are all over the map and then some. I have it oiled, but my OCD really wants to grease the rails. I searched here, as well as some youtube videos, and the general consensus was one of two- 1911's don't need any lube, or to oil only. I respect experience, so that's why I ask.
The other thought running through my head is the advantage of a lubricating barrier between two dislike metals- the stainless slide on aluminum rails. I will lean to the side of caution and keep it oiled, but I will hold off on the grease until I hear otherwise.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I had set out to get a full stainless Commander, but 1) my favorite LGS had sold the only one they had the day before, and 2) they had two lightweights in the case. Once I handled it, I was sold. I have a Sig P220 Elite Carry (Reverse Two-Tone), which weighs a ton. The Ruger is just about perfect.

I know that when it comes to lube, opinions are all over the map and then some. I have it oiled, but my OCD really wants to grease the rails. I searched here, as well as some youtube videos, and the general consensus was one of two- 1911's don't need any lube, or to oil only. I respect experience, so that's why I ask.
The other thought running through my head is the advantage of a lubricating barrier between two dislike metals- the stainless slide on aluminum rails. I will lean to the side of caution and keep it oiled, but I will hold off on the grease until I hear otherwise.
Hodge,
I try to keep my rails "wet" but not overly so. When I clean my weapons, after each time I shoot, whether it be 50 rounds or 150, I oil them down with a product called : Marvel Mystery Oil. It is a very fine oil, red in color and have done it for years. I also use this oil in both my Model A Fords and my 88 Corvette. I usually put about 5 ounces in a 20 gal. tank of gas and it burns clean. This oil is very fine and when I go to the range, I usually carry a rag to wipe them down with. I have a Colt Commander (1973 vintage, 9mm) and use the same oil on it. However, my Colt is a steel slide and frame. We used to use it on the series 80 Colts and never experienced any damage and I am sure that metallurgy has advanced greatly in the last 40 or so years. I would rather shoot a "wet" pistol than I would a dry one. Remember though, this is just MHO only so you can take it from there. Good luck and keep me posted please.
Tommy
BTW-When I sent my Commander in I tried some "grease", very light coat and it was black. Ken from Ruger called me and asked me what it was and I told him. He said it was too heavy and really discouraged me from using it. It was the only time in all these years I thought I would try something different.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hodge,
I try to keep my rails "wet" but not overly so. When I clean my weapons, after each time I shoot, whether it be 50 rounds or 150, I oil them down with a product called : Marvel Mystery Oil. It is a very fine oil, red in color and have done it for years. I also use this oil in both my Model A Fords and my 88 Corvette. I usually put about 5 ounces in a 20 gal. tank of gas and it burns clean. This oil is very fine and when I go to the range, I usually carry a rag to wipe them down with. I have a Colt Commander (1973 vintage, 9mm) and use the same oil on it. However, my Colt is a steel slide and frame. We used to use it on the series 80 Colts and never experienced any damage and I am sure that metallurgy has advanced greatly in the last 40 or so years. I would rather shoot a "wet" pistol than I would a dry one. Remember though, this is just MHO only so you can take it from there. Good luck and keep me posted please.
Tommy
BTW-When I sent my Commander in I tried some "grease", very light coat and it was black. Ken from Ruger called me and asked me what it was and I told him. He said it was too heavy and really discouraged me from using it. It was the only time in all these years I thought I would try something different.
That's very helpful. As I said, my bulk of experience is with Sigs, and they call for grease. I am like a sponge when it comes to learning- different weapon manufacturers, and different types, call for different measures. And, the world of firearms is overwhelming! Your experience, plus the opinion of a Ruger employee, is very helpful. I have it oiled now, and will keep that up.
I typically use Hoppe's gun oil. My opinion is that there are many good, safe lubicants available, and the regiment of usage is more important than which brand.
Again, thanks for the rely. Forums like RugerTalk are invaluable to me, and I look forward to bringing to the table, and taking.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Hodge,
My 2 cents...
Everybody seems to have their own favorite recipe /concoction for lubes.
I own and shoot too many different guns, long ones and handguns, to try and keep specific lubes for each brand or type.

I use mobile one synthetic 0w20 for oiling all the guns that I only oil.

Some get a light coating some get a heavy coating, (internal mateing parts)depending on the metalurgy and fit of the firearm. I use Johnsons Paste wax on external surfaces of the guns , including the wood for moisture (rust preventive)protection.

Some guns that NEED a grease ,I only use a good Moly grease, as it (over time) impregnates the metal for an excellent surface contact, and protection against wear and gall. Let me add... that its almost always a very light film/coating.

Now I do use a few different solvents for bore cleaning , that depends on what bullets Im shooting . I usually run one last damp patch thru the bore with CLP.

Put the baby away till it gets another trip to the range.

I been doing this for many years, some of my badies may sit in storage for a couple years at a time , IN SOCKS, and I have never had any functional problems or rust problems.

and... I basically have 2 lubes :cool:

Like I said ....my 2 cents.

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Hey guys,

I pulled the lube discussion from Hodges Introduction thread and put it here ... I believe it will get more exposure here .:)

Jim

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys,

I pulled the lube discussion from Hodges Introduction thread and put it here ... I believe it will get more exposure here .:)

Jim
Good job. I don't know how RugerTalk feels about clogging up the introduction section with chasing rabbits, but I should have posted the question seperately, anyway.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Thats OK,
I just know that people usually dont return to read Intro , and they will on the Lube subject.

Its a good sharing topic.;)

Info for everybody to see.

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Seems that there are more threads about cleaning and lubing than any other topic.
Thats:cool:

Jim

·
Registered
199 Posts
Keep Hoppe's # 9
on hand
for the aroma
and Break Free
for the cleaning and lubing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts