finally ready to start, but need supplies help

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by DrDenby, May 7, 2016.

1. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

OK.

I know what I want with my equipment (well almost, will ask that question in a bit too)

I have my Lyman 49th edition book.

I have plenty of brass. I know where I want to get my bullets.

What I am having a hard time finding is a gunpowder and primer source.

Where are you getting it and how much are you paying for them?

It seems so silly to me that we have to pay HazMat fees for primers and powder separately but not ammunition.

Other question.

When using a tumbler to clean the brass, is polish needed? or is it just for aesthetics of shiny brass?

Also, after tumbling, I figure I will use a colander over a bucket to separate out the walnut stuff, but how do you get all the media out of the shells without taking each one and banging it against the bucket?

Hope that makes sense

Doc

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  2. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I like the Lyman manual. I would suggest the ABC'S of Reloading and the Lee Modern Reloading also.

I buy my primers and powder from local shops, I refuse to pay the hazmat charges. The cheapest powder I have bought recently is Trail Boss at $18 per pound, the most expensive was Accurate 5744 at $38. I start looking sideways at powder when it exceeds $28 per pound, most of it is between $22 and $28. Primers, I use CCI and Winchester. One store about an hour from me sells them at $28 per 1000. The one right up the street wants $42 per 1000. Most stores are asking $36 to $38.

I prefer dry tumbling also. I use the Lyman media, the walnut shell formula. It already has jewelers rouge in it. You can use lizard bedding with a dab of Nu-Finish in it, but the Lyman stuff is only about $10 per jug, it's already mixed, and it's easier to store. I use the Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler and sift through a strainer also. The media will usually come out of the brass shells just by shaking them when you sift. I find I usually have to check each 223 case though, they like to hold on to the media.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I got my gun powder, primers and other reloading supplies at a gun store that also carries all kinds of loading supplies. I was told hazmat is $50 whether you buy a can of powder or 5 cans so paying a little more than internet prices I still came out ahead buying at local shop.
    I used a colander and had no problem separating the cleaning media{lizard bedding/walnut shell grinding} and I didn't use any added polish to the media. I used a hand de-primer toll on the casings before going into the cleaning media. I ran about 300 casings in a tumbler for around 3 hours. Using a cue tip I wasn't getting any residue from cleaned casings. I am new at this also so take it for what it is. I shot about 30 rounds of reloaded 38 spl and all fired with decent groupings. From 9 yards free handed with stock 3 dot sights I tore a 3" hole in the target.

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I get my stuff anywhere I find it - Farm stores, LGS, Big box, whatever. I'm paying $4 or 5 per 100 for primers, $25 - 30 for powder.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have a small tumbler I use when I tumble my shells. I also use Dillon's or a product from Berry's bullets to my tumbler. It gives the round a shiny round and a bottle will last for over 1500 rounds and it's only about $8.00 per bottle. Just add 3 capfuls into your loading basket. As far as tumbling goes, I used to buy Dillons walnut shells however them and Sportsman's have gone sky high on their prices so I went to a local hardware store that sells a powder used as cat litter. I can buy a 50lbs. for $26.00 and 50lbs. will last me for a long time. For seperating out the media from the shells, a colander will work or you can buy a cheap tumbler from Berry's and then use a 5 gals. bucket to seperate the casings from the media. I should note that the "cat litter" I buy is crushed walnut shells and it's so much cheaper than buying regular tumbling media. I have to watch my budget as my SS checks don't go far so I try to do things as inexpensive as I can. I hope this may help you out Doc and others who may be reading this.

Tommy

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Whatever media you use... just take your time...do not have any distractions....and clean and inspect all the cases , one at time if you have to..

Did I mention "don't get in a hurry" ?

Haste makes waste...and injuries.;)

Jim

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Luckily we have a reloading shop fairly close by. The last time I was there I scored H110 for $24.50 per pound. A few months ago HP38 was $20.80 per lb.
    The last gun show we went to primers were going for $32.00 ~ $33.00 per 1000.

8. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Thanks for the info everyone.

Found a Gander Mountain near where I am moving and will check out the powders and primers they have.

Like Tommy, I am on a pretty tight budget as far as what I am allowing for this stuff.

I am thinking the $40 frankford arse tumbler

6lbs bags of walnut shell bedding at Walmart for $4.70 each

8oz Brasso at Lowes for $3

colander for sifting over

wide bucket I have

Doc

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  9. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Arse tumbler? Ummm...;)

10. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Not a real good idea to use Brasso or any other polish that uses amonia. Ammonia can cause stress cracks in brass.

11. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I second that.

12. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Well aint that just grand. A brass polish that has been around a hundred years is no good for brass :mad: and here I thought I was onto a good deal.

Ok, what you all think of Permatex Fast Orange hand cleaner?

Got lanolin, pumice, aloe, and something called jojoba

and my ammo will smell oh so good orangy :D

Doc

13. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Ah, you see, this is where the confusion starts because it is spelled 'jo-jo-ba' but pronounced 'ho-ho-bah'!

Wouldn't want you to get confused or anything

14. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Don't know anyone who has used fast orange. Diluted lanolin makes a decent case lube and it will help paraffin wax based bullet lube adhere to bullets.

Nu-Finish is the traditional lizard litter additive. Personally I would just use the Lyman pre mixed stuff.it's only about $15 to $17 for a 7 pound jug.

Orange is always a good smell!

15. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Doc,

Before you go wild on cleaner you can buy Dillon's Brass Cleaner for about $8.95 however freight charges are $7.50 OR buy Berry's Brass Cleaner for about the same amount and ask them to mail the bottle to you. You only need 3 small capfuls in your tumbler and tumble for an hour or so and they will come out clean and shiny. An 8 ounce bottle will clean over 1500 rounds. Brasso is good to clean military belt buckles but BAD, BAD, BAD for brass shell casings. I understand your budget, however the advise I am giving you is the best solution so you don't waste money on screwing up brass rounds. Berry's can be located on Google and they are good about shipping things out pretty fast. I have used both of these products and I prefer the Berry's however either one is very reliable and will ensure safety when you start to reload. Good luck and TAKE YOUR TIME GETTING SET UP!!!!! And it works like Blue Emu muscle relaxer-you won't stink!!!!

Tommy

16. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I am going to experiment some.

Was at pet store pricing some rawhide for my dog and saw a 8 pound bag of ground cob for $5

When I get my Frankord Arse tumbler, I am going to do a handful of shells with no polish, see how it turns out.. then I am going to dump a bunch of cob out and try a little Weimans metal polish I got from Walmart 8oz for $3 says gentle cleaning and MSDS says no amonia.

If it doesn't work out, I figure I have invested only a relatively small amount of money before I start purchasing the expensive stuff. Will be great if the cob works out.

Doc