Finally got to fire off my new RAP 9mm

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by walnut777, Jun 11, 2017.

1. walnut777

walnut777 New Member

After being rained out a couple of times I finally got to go target a little.

I loaded up my homemade pvc target holder and headed down the road about 2 miles to a friends property.

Setup my target, got out 100 rounds.
    I started from 25 feet and worked back to 30 feet.

I had zero problems.
    I did however have a difficult time getting used to the trigger. Ive been using a SR9 for a long time now and its night and day.

I do like the trigger, just going to need some more range time and a few hundred more rounds to get accustomed to it.

I tried to shoot it with the natural way your hand fits the ergonomics of the grip but, that caused me to have horrible recovery time after muzzle flip.
    So I went back to "riding the safety" as some call it which brought the recovery time of muzzle flip down and less muzzle flip.

I also found my trigger finger over reaching.
    I had forgot my backstraps or whatever they are called. I had a medium on. I may try the large and see how it feels. Once I got the tip of my trigger finger where it needed to be i had alot tighter groups.

I hate wasting money on targets so i shoot for the bullseye then center ring at 3 oclock position then 6 oclock, 9 oclock then 12oclock. 5 shots on each position. then replace the target.

I was impressed with the grouping and accuracy. I rapid fire 17 rounds just because i was trying to see if it would malfunction. Which didnt happen.
    Overall Im impressed at the moment.

My friend who is a Marine said he was really impressed with the feel and the trigger. We'll see how next time goes.
    Im going to take 200-300 rounds next time.

I really like to get comfortable with the firearm and shooting it become 2nd nature before I make it my carry weapon.

But, so far so good with the RAP 9mm

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Sportymonk likes this.
  2. mysguidednlv

mysguidednlv New Member

Glad you like it! How's the control placement for you? Any issues with your thumb reaching the mag release?

I also ride the safety on my RAPC 9 as coming off manual safety is part of my draw on all of my handguns and it feels very natural on this firearm.

I think as prices have dropped you'll see a lot more people picking up RAPs...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017

3. walnut777

walnut777 New Member

I dont have any issues reaching the mag release at all. Last night I installed the large backstrap. I could still reach the mag release well and my trigger finger seemed to fall into place more naturally. It just felt too fat. I dont think I have the largest of hands. I can palm a basketball.

The medium backstrap feels better in the palm area than the large.
    The ergonomics make me want to naturally hold the gun like I would a revolver if that explains it any. Riding the safety or rail however people want to use the term feels fine.
    I havent had any issues with my knuckle getting hit or getting pinched in any way.

I have alot more practicing to do. I recently chose to change my stance.
    An old friend of mine who is a retired Army Ranger. Taught me when i was in my early 20s to stand sideways, left elbow tucked into my belly. Pushing the firearm with my right hand (shooting hand) and pulling with my left hand. Ive shot that way for years. Most closely related to a Chapman stance except with the left elbow in. The advantages of it seem to be with the sideways stance and left elbow in. You have a better chance of protecting your vital organs. Meaning in a situation you would hope to be hit in the arm.

I found I shoot a little more accurately with the Isosceles stance. I dont like how the body is exposed in this stance though.

So the debate in my head is this. Be a smaller target using the modified Chapman or using the Isosceles stance and when drawing my firearm step to the side and I become a moving target.

I guess all thats aside from how I handle the RAP.

Sportymonk likes this.
  4. mysguidednlv

mysguidednlv New Member

Really glad there are more people like us out there gravitating towards this firearm. This can only help with support for aftermarket mod options for those who like those options. I debated hard between this, a SA XDs and a S$W M&P (though I hate stock S&W Triggers), and there are just so many great qualities about the RAPC9, especially comfort and shootability. Some aren't fond of the look and the additional weight is a drawback for EDC which I get, but it is such a solid and reliable firearm... not to mention the additional capacity which is really a major bonus giving the realities of a self-defense situation.

The trigger has smoothed out a little after putting ~600 rounds through. It wasn't bad to begin with though.

Are you considering any aftermarket sights?

It sounds like I have smaller hands than you (no palming for this guy!), but for me the large backstrap just melts right into the palm of my hand, must be the extra muscle in my right hand from, ahem, exercising a lot ... that's another great thing about this firearm, the back straps are really easy to swap and seem to fit a variety of shooters, small females included.

Interesting about the stance... I went through a similar stance change myself not too long ago. I suspect that when the rubber hits the road, stance is going to go straight out the window! That being said, I've really been focusing on my hand placement and grip, as well as quickly getting sights on target coming off holster. One of the really great things about my Taurus Millennium G2 is that, while practicing with dry firing, it switches from SA to DA if the slide doesn't charge a round. This allows for practicing follow up shots during dry fire practice without having to recharge the slide. Using a cheepo rail mount laser, this gives me the ability to see if I'm jerking or any other bad habits.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Saw a RAP 9mm for sale for only $250 a week ago. Don't really need one, but I was tempted!!

6. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I'm not even in the market for an RAP, but I don't think I could have withstood that temptation...

Sportymonk likes this.
  7. walnut777

walnut777 New Member

Sights are something I'm looking to in the future.

I finally found something I dislike about the RAP.

The magazine rattles around.
    I know it's minor and doesn't cause issues. But with all the work they put into the gun a rattling magazine makes it seem cheap.
    Only real complaint I have

8. mysguidednlv

mysguidednlv New Member

Is it a loose mag or a lose cartridge inside the mag? I've found that when I insert a full magazine (both the 12 and 17rd) and chamber a round, one of the remaining cartridges will slide back and forth inside the magazine when the magazine round count drops down by 1. Dropping the mag and loading one more cartridge resolves this, so I just carry 12 + 1.

I've also noticed that the 17rd doesn't exactly fit flush when inserted with the spacer, but the gap is minimal...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  9. walnut777

walnut777 New Member

Definitely a loose mag. I have the full size rap.
    It also doesn't seem to sit flush.
    I seen a video where a guy stripped his RAP down. I think k you used some clamps or a clamp and heated up the grip area. Let it cool and it fixed the problem.
    Not something I want to do. So I guess I'll deal with it.

10. John Swenson

John Swenson Member

My RAPC9, with 1,000 rounds thru it has a loose mag well, but not bad - makes it easy to drop a mag to speed reloading. Mr. Ruger designed it that way for you. If there was no rattle, that would be to tight, and prone to binding. If it bothers you, maybe one wrap of electrical tape around the bottom of the mag will help. (That is what Glock always tells people with complaints.)