Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First trip was to an indoor range and was disappointing. I couldn't seem to hit the target.

But today I went to the outdoor range and had it to myself. I started slow and tried to hold on target.....my first 3 shots went into the bulls eye! Then I got sloppy, but keep all shots on paper- 8.5x11. I CAN hit the target.
I did have 3 mag drops and 3 fail to go into battery after reloads. May have been squeezing that grip too hard. Hopefully it will all limber up a little in time.
This is all at 7 yards-

Font Rectangle Illustration Circle Art

·
Registered
294 Posts
I CAN hit the target.

That's all that matters, damn fine shooting there Higgy !

3 fail to go into battery
#1. Dirty Gun ------ clean after every range session, go easy on the oil, none is better than to much, just a pin drop here and there, outside of the barrel where the wear marks are, inside groves of slide and a dab on the rails inside the chassis, etc.

#2. Junk Ammo ------- don't skimp when it comes to .380, finicking to begin with, buy only name brand American

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have seen similar reports on the other (.net) Ruger forum. Most of us who have tamed the micro pistol advise that it takes trial & error and practice to get the grip on the gun that works best for you. I had a heck of a time getting on good groups with my LCP Ii. But I did get it under control by experimenting. Keep in mind that the micro pistols will not achieve the same accuracy as your larger pistols. They are basically point and shoot guns. Success is getting into critical mass and with enough hits to compensate for the level of inaccuracy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PART-3..........

Okay, back to the range. Ran a little over 100 rounds. Main reason was to ID which mags were dropping out and which failed to lock back after last round.
One 12 round mag failed to locked back one time, the other one good every time. So the 12 round mags are good.
The 10 round mag failed to lock back every time. So it needs help.

I did not have even one mag drop this time! I was conscious how I was gripping the gun and where my thumb was. At 7 yards I can keep all rounds on paper. All in all- I was happy with today's shoot.

Just for kicks- I did put up a 8.5x11 target at 30 yards and sent 10 rounds at it. 2 actually landed on paper.

The gun has been cleaned and lubed and the 12 round mags loaded- now I'm gonna carry it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PART-3..........

The 10 round mag failed to lock back every time. So it needs help.

I have a new LCP Max which I haven't fired yet but in the videos it shows the LCP Max locking back on the last round.
Mine would not lock back when the slide was pulled back on the empty mag that came with the Ruger.
I bought another 10 rd mag and viola....it locked back.
Couldn't see any obvious differences in the mags so I disassembled, cleaned, and examined all the internal parts.
Didn't find any differences except the original had what I considered excess oil internally. To me, no oil need be present.
I cleaned all traces of oil, reassembled and now the slide locks back with both mags.
Guess it's better than having both mags not locking back. Always curious though....what was the original cause.
Have to shoot it now and see how it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts