Finally Found a 100 yard range

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by 00b5, Mar 25, 2014.

1. 00b5

00b5 Member

Finally found a local range for the GSR. I am finding that it is picky about what ammo I feed it. Seems to like 150 grain FMJ one day and then 145 grain FMJ Boat Tail the next. This is from 22 March. Gun show in the AM and range in the afternoon. (Yes I know I threw one.)

Attached Files:

2. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Good looking group......the GSR looks sweet......

3. 00b5

00b5 Member

Except for that one shot. LOL. Might have to do some barrel clearance on the stock. After 20 rounds the zero changed. I'm just glad to have found the range, but of course it closes the end of March. Re-opens in October? (Hunter's zero Range on public land.)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  4. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

That's ok.....there is always one that's a "flyer"....lol

5. redmist3455

redmist3455 New Member

I'm lucky to have a 100 yard range fifteen minutes away. My problem is finding ammo. 220 swift is almost impossible to order online, and I called several gun stores over the past week. I finally got lucky with a place forty minutes away. 22LR is becoming more plentiful, but swift is still hard to find. I prefer swift at longer ranges and I get excellent grouping at 100- 300 yards. I still have yet to try it at up to 500 yards, but I've seen people pull it off.

6. jrc

jrc New Member

I'm in VA (central) as well - did you find a public range? That could be interesting.

7. 00b5

00b5 Member

Redmist, I looked online for .220 Swift. gunbotammo.com. 2 places had it this AM. $$$$

JRC, the one I use is in the Chickahominy (sp) WMA. There is one just west of Richmond somewhere. Let me see if I can find the link. If you have a hunting or fishing license you are good to go. Or a DGIF Access Permit ($23 a year.) The one down here is really nice. Full overhead cover with shooting benches. One side for rifles and one side for shotguns.
    You are going to have to go to the DGIF WMA webpage to find that range near you.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014