Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had used a friend's older Mini 14 a few months back, and liked the look and feel of the "Garand-like" rear sight. I had been looking for a Mini 14 tactical and finally got an email alert that one was in stock at PSA, so I ordered it. My other rifles are all various types of the AR-15 platform.

Got the rifle, which is nice, but the rear sight is a disappointment. Evidently it's a newer type that Ruger began using about 15 years ago. The windage and elevation adjustments are a weird combination of screw untightening and tightening. And I've read anecdotally that the adjustment screws tend to come loose and require frequent tightening.

Anyway...some web searches and looks like a company called Tech Sights in SC makes a replacement sight that has adjustment knobs for windage and elevation. Anyone have this sight? Easy to install? Works well? Any issues?

Any other similar replacement sights anyone recommends checking out?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Accuracy Systems makes a better rear sight for the Ruger Mini-14/30 series. Note the two different types offered for pre and post series 580 rifles, and that they even offer the M1 Carbine style rear sight shown below:

Check them out here: Accuracy Systems front/rear sights for Ruger Mini-14/30...
Thanks. That’s looks like the same sight made by Tech Sights. That other company must distribute it as well. The illustrations are identical.

Unfortunately, the M1 carbine style isn’t available for my newer 5847 model. The Mini200 sight is the only one it seems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I’ll ask…am I overthinking it? I just want to be able to zero my sights and shoot. If others have been able to do that easily on the factory sights on the newer 58xx models, without the adjustment screws coming loose, then maybe it’s fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think you are the only one who can answer that question. If you want to use the rifle a lot and not have to worry about the sights shifting on you, I would say you aren't overthinking anything. Go for the upgrade. If you're going to put 20 rounds through it once every two years, you might be overthinking it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you are the only one who can answer that question. If you want to use the rifle a lot and not have to worry about the sights shifting on you, I would say you aren't overthinking anything. Go for the upgrade. If you're going to put 20 rounds through it once every two years, you might be overthinking it.
I definitely plan to use somewhat often. Trying to get feedback from other owners. Is this a problem you’ve experienced and did you change the sight because of it? If so, did you go to the Tech Sights Mini 200?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I found that Loctite works well on those rear sights when they come loose.

·
Registered
82 Posts
No .
I just loctite the top screw that mounts to the top of the receiver.
I never had any trouble with the side adjustments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I bought the Tech Sights Mini 200 replacement rear sight. Instructions show simply removing the screw that secures the factory sight, and given the feedback about it coming loose, I assumed it would come off easily.

Well, that wasn’t a good assumption. Using the tool the Mini Sights provides, I stripped the screw head and took it to the gunsmith. He’ll charge me $50 and fix the problem.

Had I known the factory sight was on that well, might have just left it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So Ruger actully got one right....well I'll be damned!
😁

1 - 11 of 11 Posts