Federal NT & Winchester NT

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Tommycourt, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I am priming by hand my .45 cal. range brass and in the last few days I have been finding Federal rounds with NT stamped on the top of the brass. The first thing I noticed was the primer hole is substantially smaller than other brass. I THINK I measured the primer hole @.177, although I could be a tad off. I did some research and found out that the NT meant non toxic and Winchester also made some NT for .45 and 9mm. After reading some material, it said that you can reload these rounds using smaller primers. Had I been using my progressive loader I might not have noticed this. Also found a thread that stated brass marked AMERC is junk brass and not to be reloaded due to casing sides being too thin. I tossed my NT rounds in the junk bin and won't use them. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this before. The NT primer pockets are almost .020 smaller than other brass. Would appreciate any comments on this. Thanks!!!
    Tommy
    P.S. I might be wrong but as I understand it, my dim witted mind, that these smaller primer pocket brass were used on rounds that had no lead in them. Ca now has a law that you can't hunt with leaded bullets. Anybody up on this?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

There are lots of lead-free bullets around now. They weigh less per unit volume than lead bullets. I hadn't heard of the NT rounds before; I wonder why Federal and Winchester thought smaller diameter primers was a good idea. Never heard of AMERC brass either. Get far enough back in the woods, don't get much news.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the post on this Tommy,

Because I had not seen the NT brass.

I wonder if I could use my primer pocket reamer to open them up.

I use a pocket reamer on staked military primer pockets.

Jim

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Phideaux,

I did some checking and evidently you CAN ream out the primer pockets to accept large pistol primers, HOWEVER, you have to be real careful as to not over ream or off set the prime cup. My understanding is that most guys who use this brass either chuck them out to the garbage or use small pistol primers. I opted to junk mine so I would not the risk the chance of getting the brass mixed up. I don't have that many of them and it was only luck that I was able to see the difference between the NT's and the others. After you see a few, they are easy to spot, however had I been using a progressive reloader, I would not have found them. My brother has a guy who uses a Dillon 550 along with the shell loading tray and he wouldn't have known the difference until he tried to load them. Evidently he doesn't take the time to fully inspect the rounds until they are completely reloaded. After reloading the then case gauges the rounds. I know that the rounds I found were range brass as I sweep up everything and then sort when I get home. Although since I have to resize first and then deprime, that's when I found them. They will deprime about like any other round however DO NOT try to prime them without checking would be my advise. Good luck you guys and BE CAREFUL!!! One more thing, this has to do with these primers not having stephanate (sp) in the primer so to cut down on the smoke and soot. Another government idea of saving the environment. The flash hole is bigger in the NT rounds so it will ignite the round as the same speed as a regular round preventing any blow back.
    Tommy

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  5. guncheese

guncheese New Member

just save the small primer brass up and send it to me!
    i wish i could find somebody with enough of it to trade out my large primer brass
    i would love to only have to stock 1 primer for most of my pistol needs!
    so if anybody has 4 or 5000 small primer brass ill trade you!!