Favorite rimfire ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by kramden, Dec 2, 2017.

1. kramden

kramden New Member

I recently started buying more Aquila .22 ammo. Its rapidly becoming my favorite. I buy the Super Extra. The red, yellow and white box. I've run it thru my MP 15-22, 10/22, SR22 and MP22 and all 4 guns run thru it flawlessly. I find it on par with CCI.

rugertoter, RFF and Oldhand like this.
  2. Uncle_Louie

Uncle_Louie 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 XL

I use CCI blue standard velocity in my Smith 41 for bullseye shooting. In my 22 rifles and my revolver I use what ever is on sale.

Pancho_Villa likes this.

3. allenr

allenr Member

I shoot CCI Mini Mag RN our of my 22 pistol, which is mostly formtarget and plinking. I have out several thousands round through with CCI ammo only, and I have never had a single failure of any kind. It’s good stuff.

rugertoter, Oldhand and Pancho_Villa like this.
  4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Mini mags are good stuff. My preference is 40 gr. Winchester super X. I have found it to give acceptable accuracy in every gun I've tried it in. But you know how .22s are...never can tell what will work the best.

Pancho_Villa likes this.
  5. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Another vote for mini mags. They seem to perform consistently.

Oldhand likes this.
  6. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I try to keep some Fed, Remmy, Winch Super X, Mini mags, & Stingers all the time. Mostly cause the .22s I have are all picky about ammo. And every time I get a new one,I have to try just about every brand to find the best one for feeding with the auto loaders. The revolvers are not so picky. I don't have any Aquila. Maye I need to get some.

SGW Gunsmith and spikedriver like this.
  7. RFF

RFF Member

I have tried the whole spectrum of Aguila .22 LR ammo in my RAR, 10/22 and Heritage. All shoots good. I've even been impressed with their centerfire ammo to.

Wasn't that long ago it was the only rimfire ammo you could find around here.

I'm not a brand snob. I'll shoot anything that my guns like.

Recently tried some GECO rifle, semi-auto and match rimfire. Found my Heritage really likes the GECO match.

[​IMG]

8. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

I still have very vivid memories of 2 or 3 years of not finding any 22 ammo to buy locally . None, nada , zip..... and when some ammo was available you were only allowed to buy two 50 round boxes.....Two , that was it , no more.

My favorite ammo is whatever brand is on the dealers shelf . I've learned not to be a ammo snob.... I'll take whatever I can get .
    Gary

RFF likes this.
  9. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

My CZ 455 sorta likes the Norma Tac-22 :

[​IMG]

rugertoter and spikedriver like this.
  10. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

SGW Gunsmith, those are impressive groups.

11. SGW Gunsmith

I've had excellent luck with the Norma Tac-22. 3 different lot numbers and they all shoot this well.

12. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

I also have had great results with the Wolf Match .22 ammo.

13. SGW Gunsmith

I bought a brick at a gunshow last fall. Hope to try that stuff out this spring.

14. C. D. Bates

C. D. Bates Member

Anything but Federal Auto Match!

6 squibs in 50 rounds, I'm done.

15. SGW Gunsmith

No more Remington Thunderbolts for me. It took four firing pin hits to get this round to make any noise:

[​IMG]

16. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Ahh yes, good ol' Thunderduds...You can always count on one or two of those in every box.

It's Super X or Mini Mags for me. And my secret weapon that nobody else seems to like - the 38 grain American Eagle hollow points. I have great luck with that stuff. Almost as accurate as MiniMags, just as reliable, and fairly cheap. What more could I want?

C. D. Bates likes this.
  17. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I don't really have a favorite rimfire ammo. I just use what each gun likes best.

My Single Six (LR Cyl) shoots better than me when using Federal bulk pack 36 gr HP ammo.
    I've tried most of what Win makes along with other Fed, Mimi Mags too. None of it shoots as well as the the bulk pack stuff.
    As for .22 Mag's in the Single Six: Win 40 gr, CCI 40 gr, CCI 30 gr and Hornady 30 gr all shoot great in that gun. No favorites there.

These days the 10/22 prefers CCI 36 gr HP Mini Mag ammo. Early on it liked Win 36 gr HP bulk about as well as Mini Mag's. I don't know if the rifle's changed or the ammo changed but it's Mini Mag gun now.

Don't remember trying Thunderduds in any of the rimfire guns I've had...
    But I'm not a Remington guy, so there is that.

18. C. D. Bates

C. D. Bates Member

Way back in the '80s, when my boys were young; I bought 2 Daisy .22LR. ( now, they are Cricket ). 1 of those Daiseys loved Thunderduds, would consistently group about an inch at 50 yrds. The other shot about 4" groups and preferred Yellowjackets.