Ruger Talk Forums banner

Favorite game animal/hunting gun

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Franco S. Cruz 
#1 ·
I want to know you're favorite game animal to hunt and with which firearm. Then the animal you think is the most FUN to hunt and with which firearm.
I'll start....

Favorite: whitetail deer. They're so elusive and smart and it can be a challenge. My rifle of choice would be my savage 111 .30/06

My choice for most fun would have to be Quail. I love hunting these birds with my mossberg 500. Where I hunt the shots are normally out to 40 yards and it's legal to have a fire so I just start one up and cook 'em right where I'm at. Delicious!!

#3 ·
My favorite to hunt is Whitetail Deer. Around here, we drive them with dogs, and I just love to hear a pack of Walkers on a hot trail. Sort of like rabbit hunting, only bigger.

Favorite gun? This old Sears-Roebuck 12 ga. pump, with a modified choke, loaded with 3" magnum, number 1 Buckshot.

The most fun though is squirrel hunting. Very laid back. I don't care if I kill one or not. A lot of times I just put the crosshairs on them and think to myself "BANG". Catch and release hunting.

For them I use either my Wally-World Special, Ruger 10/22, with a 4X Bushnell "blister pack" scope, and a "Swamp Fox" trigger job. It's a squirrel killer.

Or, my other option, not often used I admit, is a Thompson Center Seneca, in .36 Cal.

#4 ·
^^^thanks for posting pictures. Those are nice looking guns you have there! Did the camo on the shotgun come from the factory like that?

#5 ·
For big game hunting, I used a Remington 700BDL 7mm magnum which I still currently own. By far, my favorite hunting was waterfowl. We used to hunt in marshes in our duck boat that we went to great lengths to finally get it where we wanted it. We had a drop down blind, small propane stove and a cast iron fry pan. My buddy called in ducks and I called in geese. Nothing was more exciting to be able to "talk" to the birds and have them drop down in your decoys. Many times they would drop down and no one would shoot. I asked why am I working so hard calling in geese and no one wants to shoot. Answer was: they looked so nice with the sun glistening on their wings and backs that they didn't have the heart to shoot. I understand that completely. There is an art to calling in mallard and canada geese and the sense of fulfillment is immense.

Tommy

#6 · (Edited)
Favorite Game: Deer...Spring Gobbler...Squirrel...Rabbit...Upland Birds.

My Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag scoped with a 3-9 variable for big game when there's lots of space between me and my quarry...

My Winchester Model 1894 in .30WCF with Iron Sights for Deer Hunting in Pennsylvania...where the longest shot in the wooded hills and valleys from a tree stand might be 50 yards max.

#8 ·
Favorite animal and firearm would be deer with my Contender pistol in 35 Remington and most fun would be squirrel with either my Marlin model 25N .22lr or my Contender pistol .22lr.

Would you do me a favor and post a picture of your contender? I've been considering purchasing one. Guess you must like it if it's your favorite to hunt with.....

#9 ·
^^^thanks for posting pictures. Those are nice looking guns you have there! Did the camo on the shotgun come from the factory like that?
No, it came with a standard "hardwood finish" stock that wore pretty quickly. I painted it myself with some stuff called "Bowdull" intended to use oddly enough on Bows. ;)

Stuff is as tough as nails. It's been on there for over thirty years so far.

#10 ·
Favorite ...favorite... game animal...

Canadian Moose, Bull, 1800 lbs , 6 1/2 ft antler spread.

Favorite hunting gun for that animal only....Remington 700 BDL 300 winmag ,

Havent been able to do that since mid 80s, but I still live the thrill in my heart.

Nowadays my favorite game animal is Kentucky White tail Deer on my own farm.

My favorite hunting gun for Deer is my 45-70 Marlin GBL Lever action.

Jim

#13 ·
My favorite and most fun is hunting pheasant with a group of friends over good dogs. Sadly the bird population hasn't recovered very well from its recent historic low. My favorite gun for that is a Remington model 10, 12 gauge with fixed modified choke. Sadly, that gun is now a wall hanger due to a broken ejector. I haven't been able to find a smith who wants to tackle the job of fabricating a part for a shotgun that was made in 1917...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.