Failure to charge first shell from magazine SR9C

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by grl3348, Oct 14, 2015.

1. grl3348

grl3348 grl3348

A week or so ago I purchased a new SR9C. After bringing it home, I cleaned it and checked it out. I was kind of upset with the many scratches around the circumference of the barrel and some lengthwise scratches or ware spots on the grayed part of the barrel(also some blemishes on the black nitride finish). Yesterday I took it to the range and it would not fully chamber the 1st shell out of the 10 round magazine and about 50% of the time it wouldn't fully chamber the 1st shell using the 17 round magazine. I would have to pull the slide back a little and wiggle the gun around to allow the shell to fall into the chamber and if that didn't work I would have to drop the magazine and start again. Hopefully more break in time will correct this. I've only shot 200 rounds of Blazer 124gr, Winchester 124gr NATO and Remington 112gr UMC. This includes both Sling shotting the slide as well as using the slide release button. any ideas? thank you!

2. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

Pull the slide back, and insert a magazine. Looking in from the top, you should be able to see if the first round is hitting/rubbing on anything. Is it hitting the slide release? Are there any burrs or sharp edges on the top of the magazine? Is the spring in the magazine inserted correctly? Is the first round hitting the feed ramp? Some ammo has a longer case than others. Take out the barrel and drop a bullet in to the end. Does it fall right in?

3. grl3348

grl3348 grl3348

I did as you suggested and did not see any problems, I did however notice that the barrel it self moves forward and back about 1/8", is this normal??? It did chamber the shell this time pulling back the slide and releasing it (the first time this worked using the 10 round magazine but it only had the one shell in the magazine). I will check it out again when I go and get a couple more boxes of shells. Thank you for responding.

4. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Try short loading your magazine- put in 8 rounds instead of 10- if it works, the magazine spring or follower should be suspect.

5. grl3348

grl3348 grl3348

I had short loaded it most of the time and the problem existed until yesterday whereas I only had 1 shell and it worked properly. The barrel itself has I/8" to 1/4" forward to backward play. Is it supposed to be this way??? thank you, grl3348

6. 5thShock

5thShock New Member

Have you called Ruger yet? Your gun built as a carry piece, don't make a project out of it. Please come back and let us know how you made out.

7. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Why would a new gun have scratches on it? I'd take it back and get another.

8. hodge

hodge New Member

Welcome to the forum!
    How closely did you inspect it? It is vital to go over the firearm thoroughly before filling out the 4473.
    I would contact Ruger, since it is new. Let them sort it out- letting them perform warranty work ensures that in the future, they would work on it again. If you try to solve it yourself, you may void your warranty.

9. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

When installed with the recoil spring and rod, I don't believe there should be any play. Without, of course it will have some play. Also, you may want to see if Wolff makes a 10% stronger mag spring for your SR. I do agree, if under warranty, give Ruger a stab at fixing the problem first. It shouldn't have had any scratches on it anywhere. It sounds like it may have been handled a bit before you purchased it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  10. grl3348

grl3348 grl3348

I did get in touch with Ruger support whereas they sent me a return label which I took to a fedex dropoff station on Monday and for whatever reason it didn't get shipped out until late Tues afternoon. It wa delivered to Ruger Thurs. morning and I am anxiously awaiting a response from Ruger. Thanks to all for your help! and concern. grl3348

11. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Just to ease your mind I locked open my sr9c and the barrel does have the same amount of play. Always has and mines never had the issue your describing.

12. grl3348

grl3348 grl3348

Thank you, this did ease my mind. This past Monday I did send my sr9c back to Ruger but haven't heard anything yet. I'm anxiously awaiting it's return and shooting it again.

13. grl3348

grl3348 grl3348

failure to charge 1st shell from either magazine in my SR9C UPDATE

Thank you everyone for your help. I did end up sending it back to Ruger and it was returned to me today. I took it out to the range and shot the remainder of a box of shells I had on hand and it is like an entirely different gun. To my surprise they replaced : slide assembly, slide stop spring, trigger assembly, trigger bar lift spring, trigger bar reset and the ejector as well as repairing the barrel. I am just tickled pink and their customer service is outstanding! I now find that the take down pin assembly has to be played with to seat the little tab on it and there is a little ring protruding through from the pin on the pin side to the finished side of the assembly. Could the seating problem be because of the new slide?

14. Gabby

Gabby New Member

You basically have a new gun no wonder it works so much better.
    The take down pin does take a little fiddling now and then depending on whether or not you had it started straight or not, I'm not sure what "ring" you are referring to, the take down pin should protrude through and stop level with the outside of the frame fitting flush on both sides of the pistol when pressed fully "home". The hole in the frame on the right side of the gun is larger than the pin to allow a cartridge rim or nose to be used to push the pin out far enough to get it to pull out all the way. There is a detent groove on the pin and you have to push pretty firmly to overcome it, this is to prevent the pin falling out on its own. NOT a good thing to have happen it would spoil your day for sure. LOL
    My pistol had problems early on with feeding and I polished the feed ramp a little and short loaded for a while till the magazine springs took a little set, they push a bit too hard when new which causes them to bind. After a couple of hundred rounds and carrying the gun loaded all the time it's cured itself. Enjoy your 9C it's a good pistol and once broken in works very well.
    Gabby

15. grl3348

grl3348 grl3348

Hey Gabby, It truly is a new gun. I shot 200 rounds out of it yesterday and it is amazing. FLAWLESS, unlike it was brand new. It is truly a pleasure to shoot. I've been using 124 gr Blazer Brass and am most impressed with it (seems a littrle dirty but so nnice to shoot). Ruger also sent me a new take down pin and it snapped right into place both times I've reassembled it. I have a 1980 Redhawk, an SR22 and this SR9C and I thoroughly enjoy each. Thanks Gabby!

16. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

Exactly! I've read "new gun purchase" reviews on the web-sites of some popular on-line retailers, and I DO see comments like "the gun came in a zip-lock bag, inside a box", or "the gun had some minor scratches", etc. If the gun is brand new, why was it not sent in retail packaging? It makes me wonder.

Too late to take it back. Read below.

Great point, Hodge. For anyone buying a new gun, check out the gun and any included accessories BEFORE you complete the transfer!

17. grl3348

grl3348 grl3348

I guess when I purchased it I looked over the model with the stainless slide and when I changed my mind for the Black Nitride and didn't check it out. But Ruger made everything right and I love the gun. thanks

18. smokier

smokier New Member

Two thumbs up!
    Glad to know you are a satisfied owner!

19. Gabby

Gabby New Member

If I've been a help I'm glad, enjoy your "New" SR9C. :D

Can anyone tell me what's with all the adds in the middle of our thread?
    Where do they come from, I've never seen so much spam on a forum!
    Gabby

Something weird going on now they are gone.
    G