Extended Mag Release

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Don, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Don

Don Member

I was looking at some new 10/22's in the local gun store and really liked the extended tabs they had for releasing the magazine. I've seen various aftermarket ones but actually liked the simplicity of the Ruger ones so much I ordered 2 of them today. I have done a lot of basic work on some of my guns but never on the 10/22's. Can anyone give me an idea how difficult it is to change out he mag release on the 10/22? Any little secrets I should know before I start?

2. MDS

MDS New Member

Greetings Don! It's awesome that you're going to work on your 10/22 for the first time. I've personally worked on two friends' 10/22 rifles as well as my own; swapping out mag releases, bolt releases, triggers, charging handles, etc.
    It's such fun weapon system to work on because of it's simplicity and variety of 'drop in' upgrades like I mentioned above.
    If you haven't gotten around to breaking your 10/22 down yet, I believe the only part that might seem tricky at first is replacing the magazine latch pin while lining up the mag release, mag latch, and bolt release. It's all super easy to get a hang of, and the more you do in the future the more fun you'll have. :)

3. Don

Don Member

Man..you scared the heck out of me.............LOL
    I told my wife I was going out to the workshop for about an hour to try to tackle this mag release job that someone said could be a bit tricky. I guess I should thank you cause it may have forced me to slow down and study the mechanism closer than I might have before punching the pin out. Once I removed the pin, put a little presure on the plunger to make the old latch fall out and reversed the steps with the new on and in 2 minutes time .....OILA! I must be a gunsmith!!!!! LOL
    I love the new release. It is perfect! Thanks for the encouragement.

4. MDS

MDS New Member

You got it! It's all pretty simple and quick like that. The most time I've consumed working on a 10/22 was fitting a new barrel, and even that was simple; everything else is drop in :)
    What type of mag release did you go with? I use a Rimfire Technologies Extended, and the Extended release that came with my KIDD trigger group.

5. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

I love the tactical solutions mag release extension, it wraps all the way under the trigger guard.

Like MDS said, upgrades or modifications on the 10/22 are so easy and so many to chose from that it becomes addictive. The 10/22 and AR15 are tough to chose which one I more like to modify, but with the lower cost of 10/22s and their mods I think the 10/22 takes the win :D