expansion die question

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by DrDenby, May 17, 2016.

1. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

How far down into the case do I want to expand?

Should I go all the way down that the bullet will go when it is seated?

Halfway?

Will the seating die push the bullet past the point of expansion?

Doc

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Just enough to start the bullet easily.

I usually do about 1/16" or less.
    Its only for starting the bullet, the seating die will do the rest.

Too deep is hard on the brass.

Jim

3. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Thanks Jim. That makes sense.

Doc

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Jim's got you covered. Only thing I can add is....
    By expanding the neck the Minimum amount required to start a bullet, you don't reduce neck tension that helps hold the bullet after it is seated.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Listen to those guys^^^

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You guys must be using different expansion dies than I do.

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Why do you say that??

8. Reloader54

Reloader54 Reloader54

When I'm reloading ammo I've found that if you expand the shell casing to much that I have problems setting the bullet. Because the shell casing is to big to fit into the setting die. so I just expand the shell casing enough to start the bullet into the shell casing. And I also look at the shell casing to make sure that it did not split when I expanded it as well. Because every time that you reload the shell casing you're also weakening it as well. I also usually do my expanding before I put primers in. That way if the shell casing does split then I don't have to remove the primer.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I use Lyman "M" and RCBS expansion dies that are similar to the Lyman. the die enters the case about ¼ inch before it gets to the 'starter' section. If I'm using .432 or .433 bullets (for my Browning B-92) I have to get to the 'bell' section.

10. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

For jacketed bullets, just enough to get the bullet base started and hold the bullet upright, 1/16th inch or so.
    Boat-tail rifle bullets can be seated with no expansion. Jacketed and boat-tails will usually be held by the case neck tension, no crimp is needed , but do remove any flare if one remains.
    Cast lead and swagged lead bullets are another story. The neck must be flared and expanded so as not to deform the bullet diameter when the soft bullet is seated, then the neck needs to be expanded about the length of the bullet....That's what a Lyman M die is used for.
    When you ask questions it helps to be real specific about the details, you didn't mention what round, what bullet or anything , hard to give an answer .
    Gary

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

When I load .45 ACP with Berry plated RN I expand my rounds out to about .015 - .020 and only deep enough to seat the bullet. It will depend on the round you are reloading. But when I crimp my round after the bullet is seated I case gauge the round to make sure that it will seat properly in the chamber. Belling the round and getting the right depth relies on which round you are using and also which you want your COAL to be. If you are using 185 SWC bullets, your COAL will be much shorter than a 230 RN round. It takes some experimentation to determine which and how much powder to use and which bullet re-acts the best in your weapon. I would suggest using the Lymans 3rd edition as a guide and stay close to their specs. They have been around a long time and their books are one of the best references you can use. I also have a Hogdon's book however it also does not have all the new powders that are on the market. Lymans will give you a starting load and a max load along with the COAL. I use mine religiously. Everybody has different ideas however I stick to my books and my recipes that I have kept over the years. Don't trust anyone who says that they load a certain way or some off beat way. Anyone can say anything on the internet. Go by the book is the safest way!

Tommy

I may have offended some here however for the Doc to start out, he needs to read and research and do it as many times as it takes until he feels safe. We all have our own ways of loading and our own opinions and I respect that.

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hey Tommy,
    A guy would have to be mighty touchy to be offended because somebody offers more good advice to a person new to reloading.

Doc,
    If you haven't already done so, get a few good books on reloading and study up on the subject.
    I think all of us are happy to help but you can never have too much information....