EDC and Personal Defense Rounds.

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by RA17, May 29, 2016.

1. RA17

RA17 New Member

What is everyone's preference when it comes to your everyday carry weapon? What is your choice in personal defense munitions? Mine are as follows.[​IMG] Glock 30 .45 ACP with Polycase 114grn Inceptor rounds. [​IMG] Or the Springfield Armory XDM .45 with Civil Defense 78grn hollow points. [​IMG]

2. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

Anything, absolutely anything that allows me to shoot accurately, 'for group'.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

For myself I carry my SR1911 LW and I use Hornady Critical Defense (120 grain) rounds. When I reload I try to replicate the recoil as closely to the recoil of the Hornady rounds. I screened it on a gel test that is on the internet and it had good penetration plus bullet retention. I also tried it on some steel I had. The round mushroomed out very nicely and the bullet retention was about 75%. That is an estimated guess but I am pretty sure I am close in my estimation.

Tommy

4. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

I carry Federal HSTs and Speer Gold Dots exclusively in my semi-autos. Buffalo Bore in my wheel guns.

EDC is a G26 with a S&W Bodyguard as a BUG.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1464564619.937605.jpg

mrmike7189 likes this.
  5. RA17

RA17 New Member

6. RA17

RA17 New Member

I haven't reloaded, ever but its on my list of things to do, money is a little tight for getting myself set up with all the equipment. (I have a 4 week old infant)

7. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I carry the Hornady critical defense, 9mm 115 gr. load in my LC9s. I have used 124 gr. Starfire loads but I have read that bullet is very velocity dependent and not good for short barrels. If Bass Pro has them available I use Winchester SXZ 115 gr. hollowpoints as they are affordable and are the most accurate load I have tried in that gun.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Hornady Critical Defense 185 Grain FTX in .45 ACP...in my EDC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RA17

RA17 New Member

So I'm not the only one that carrys a G30 :)

10. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I also carry the Hornady FTX in my EDC,

100_4422_zps2d79ae45.jpg

Jim

11. mrmike7189

mrmike7189 Member

I like the federal HST..........and my Glock 26

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  12. Jschmatt

Jschmatt Member

[​IMG]
    RAP .45C with Remington hollow points.

13. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I guess I'm old school. I like the standard 158 grain lead swc in 38 special. I load cast TC bullets in 380, 9mm and 45 acp.

If I load jacketed, which I am doing more of lately, I use the XTP bullets. But I stay to the lighter side of standard bullet weights.

I have no factory defensive rounds for the 38 or 380. I do have a few 135 grain Federal 9mm though, and a hundred or so Remington hollow points for the 45acp.

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I'm using Ruger ARX in my 45 autos nowadays. It ain't long range stuff I'm thinking, but it appears to be very effective at home defense distances while minimizing the likelihood of collateral damage. The bullet shape feeds reliably too.

15. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

When I EDC my G42 & BG 380's I use Hornady Critical Defense 90 gr. FTX

Attached Files:

16. allenr

allenr Member

Obviously the selection of ammo for EDC is going to be dependent upon caliber and barrel length. For example when I carried 9mm in LC9s I used Hornady Critical Defense I initially and the changed to Underwood Extreme Defender.

Now that I carry a Remington RM 380 with a 2.9 inch barrel I have done an extensive study on the best SD ammo in 380 ACP. The problem with 380 from a short barrel is that if and when it flowers it will not penetrate well. When it goes through denim it often clogs up and acts like FMJ and overpenetrates with a minicam wound channel.

Ammoquest.com did a serious evaluation of 380 ammo by resting in gel. It found that almost all HPs sis not penetrate to FBI standards or overpenetrated when clogged. The study did find that Hornady XTP HP met the FBI standard consistently and flowered properly. It also found that Lehigh Xtreme Defense penetrated consistently to 14 inches and made a wound channel that exceeded that of HPs including the Hornady XTP.

The Xtreme Defense is a hydraulic force round like the Underwood Extreme Defender that I used for 9mm SD. It has a grooved solid copper bullet with a small flat nose. It spins at 60,000 rpm and acts like a drill bit when it hits the target. The cenrtifical force fro high speed rotation sends out lateral forces that simply destroy tissue better than a HP. All that is well documented by testing.

Do today my EDC ammo is the Lehigh 380 Xtreme Defense round.

17. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

I too am using the Underwood .380 Xtreme Defender in my BUG LCPII. My main EDC Glock 19 is loaded with +P+ Xtreme Defender. Great stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mysguidednlv

mysguidednlv New Member

I’m looking to switch to the Hornady Critical Duty 124gr +P for my EDC (RAPC 9mm)... these loads look like a good balance of weight and muzzle velocity for compact barrel lengths. Has anyone gotten their hands on these yet? If only I could find it in stock somewhere .

In the meantime, I’ll keep carrying the Winchester SZX 115gr JHPs

19. gesystem

gesystem New Member

My Ruger LC9s with Ruger ARX +P or my Ruger LCP II also with Ruger ARX. For the LCP II, I also like the Hornady Custom 380 AUTO 90 gr XTP.