Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got out to the club today to break-in my new EC9 and I'm happy to report it performed admirably and to say I'm one happy camper would be an understatement. :D

Here's a short clip. I only did 118 rounds of a small variety and tested as well some hot defensive +P Tac-X PD rounds.

On a side note when I got home the field strip was much easier as I had made comment about it being a tad usual on my other thread when I first got the gun. The pin was easy to get out with just my old Glock tool, no hammer needed this time around. :)

Suffice to say it's some of the best money spent in a long time, what a gun ..

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I changed my entire get-up including moving my suspenders underneath on top of a long sleeve t-shirt. And the top shirt is a cooks shirt that rides at 28” down with a tailored hem.
In and out under 4 seconds with the weak side draw and on target.

·
Registered
685 Posts
4 seconds is way too slow. The average person can draw in about 1.5 seconds. A well trained individual can draw in under a second. In 1.5 seconds an attacker can close the distance from 21 feet to personal contact.

When I decide to carry concealed, I do much as you. A Tee-Shirt with suspenders, except my cover garment is usually one of my "Hawaiian Flowerdy Shirts" unbuttoned. I feel it's faster. Actually, most of the time I carry open. It's just faster. Another thing is I always carry with a loaded chamber. Again, it's just faster.

Here is a good video about the speed in which these things can happen.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good point Greg, it's the best I'll ever get. The main thing is being able to get to your gun and safely. Drawing the EC9 is much slower for me than my LCR was because I'm incorporating that external safety into the equation, I realize I don't have to use it but since it's there I am. I don't use a holster so having that safety is a bonus for me and I'm learning to disengage after I come out instead of still in the pocket. It's a tad harder because I'm doing it from the weak side.

But I do feel good about it all because I can get to my gun and it's a comfortable way to carry.
Be careful with your open carry, might get you killed, why advertise what you have right. :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Be careful with your open carry, might get you killed, why advertise what you have right. :)
You ever been in a bad situation? I have been there and bought the Tee-Shirt. Heard of the game Knockout? Try and get to your gun when it's concealed in your pocket and you are on the ground getting the stuffing kicked out of you. I finally got it out and the mere sight ended the confrontation, but not before I was hurt bad enough to need medical attention.

Situational awareness? Sure, I let my guard down. The kids were in the parking lot every day. Had a right to be there. Lived in the complex. I walked right by them carrying a bag of garbage to the dumpster. I was only feet from my front door.

Carried open every day since I was out of hospital until I was able to move from that h--- hole and back to the country where I belong. I was given a wide berth after that. A neighbor summed it up to my daughter when she stopped by one week.( It was an apartment complex near work I stayed at during the week to keep from a daily 3 hour commute ) She made the comment that she felt bad about me staying there because it was a bad place. The neighbor told her " don't you worry about your Pappy. Nobody is going to mess with him again. Nobody is that stupid" So yes, it is a deterrent.

I can give multiple instances where open carry has saved the day. And I can give multiple instances where where a concealed carrier has had their firearm taken from them. Point is, the argument can be made either way, open or concealed.

So to answer your comment. Concealed carry might just get you killed and advertising what you have just might not be a bad idea. Although I do not open carry to advertise, I open carry for ease of access. If things happen, they generally happen fast. Every second counts. And I also recommend at least a class 3 holster. A class 3 holster will provide aapassive and two mechanical means of retention. I have seen a demonstration where an individual was lifted from the ground by the pistols grip and the pistol stayed firmly attached to the holster.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You ever been in a bad situation?

So to answer your comment. Concealed carry might just get you killed and advertising what you have just might not be a bad idea.
Valid argument Greg. I suppose it boils down to what one is most comfortable with. I myself would not have the guts to carry open and truth be told I wish I didn't feel the need to carry concealed. It's only a last ditch effort and to help even the odds some, I could not defend against it when I was younger and sure as hell can't do it now.

We have to be careful we don't allow anything we carry/use for self defense to fall into a 'false comfort' zone. And while situational awareness is important it's over sold on YouTube and other social media places, it's nothing more than having 'street smarts' and you either have it or you don't but even the best can miss it and you simply cannot live your life worrying about every possible scenario or you will never leave your home.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I will be the first to admit that if TEOTWAWKI happens and I am in the city. I'm probably gonna die. In the country I have a fighting chance.

I am in my 60's and age is catching up. I can not do what i used to, but i can still do. I do not have a false sense of security, and know i might not be the one to come out on top. But they say that Sam Colt was a great equalizer, in my case Bill Ruger, and I will exercise my right to be as equal as I can.

Anyways, I found another house that while not as rural as I like, it is definately rural. And a lot safer. I recognized the neighbors comment to my daughter as a challenge that somebody, sometime will accept.

In a few short years I will retire. I will be back at my main house, and I am going to open up a sandwich shop. Greg's Grill. I am going to spend my afternoons fishing in the summer and hunting in the winter. And sitting on my front porch drinking coffee and enjoying the view when I'm not doing either.
20170410_190125.jpg

·
SHARPSHOOTER
197 Posts
Muy bueno greg.Back to the basics.
Sí, sí, mi amigo Pancho Villa! Mucho tiempo sin verte. ¿Cómo están las cosas de tu lado de la pared ja ja ja ja ja. ¡Mantenlo real y hasta que nos encontremos de nuevo con mi amigo!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Sí, sí, mi amigo Pancho Villa! Mucho tiempo sin verte. ¿Cómo están las cosas de tu lado de la pared ja ja ja ja ja. ¡Mantenlo real y hasta que nos encontremos de nuevo con mi amigo!
Yes my friend. Long time no see. How are things on your side of the wall? Stay true until we meet again my friend.

For the benefit of those who do not speak Spanish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts