EAA Bounty Hunter 22 - from arrival

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by VThillman, Jun 9, 2017.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Picked it up at the LGS yesterday evening; detailed examination today.

The finish is a clean medium high gloss on the steel, a little less gloss on the alloy - though the contrast is less than on my Blackhawk 45. This is a zinc alloy, not the Ruger's aluminum.

The cylinder lockup is snug, even with the hammer down; cocked, there is zero play.

Cylinder-to-forcing cone gap, checked using feeler stock, is .013" with the mag cylinder, .012" with the LR cylinder installed.

The cocking action is smooth. The trigger action is a little on the stiff side of the average of my SA revolvers, but positive and not gritty. There is a transfer bar - which looks nothing like Ruger's but does the same duty. The trigger itself is grooved, but not aggressively.

As you can see, this is a 3-screw design (the trigger pivot screw is on the other side). It also uses a flat mainspring.

I don't know yet how the grips are held in place - there is no screw visible anywhere. I removed the backstrap to take a peek, saw no clue there either. In real life the grips look darker than in the pic, and the figure is muted. they are not polished, which is my preference anyway.

Going by Accuweather, next Tuesday will be the first weekday chance to shoot some ammo at the range. I intend to use WMR then, the LR cylinder later. I will report results here.

Attached Files:

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Grats VT,

Good lookin rascal,

Hope it shoots straight for ya.

Jim

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Looks good to me! Let us know how she shoots

4. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Let's go shootin!

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I stocked up - 400 rounds of WMR. CCI MaxiMags and CCI A22. I don't use the Mag cylinder in the Single Six, so it's all for feeding the Bounty Hunter. C'mon Tuesday.

Nice weather today, but the handgun range has just four stations, and on nice weekends they tend to stack up. If there is more than one semiauto on line, cases are a hazard too.

6. phideaux

VT,

You need to take some vacation time in Ky.:cool:

No range stackin, and its free...:cool:

:D

Jim

7. gumpy

gumpy New Member

It's called 'Backyard Range' !

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Nice looking Piece VT...Congrats...!!

https://eaacorp.com/index.php/guns/handguns/bounty-hunter-weihrauch-113

Quite a few models too !!

==========================

Tested out my Heritage Rough Rider .22 Magnum Cylinder I finally got yesterday ( 52 day backorder )...this morning...200 rounds downrange...works like a charm.

I had to hold different on the target to get the desired results with the .22 Magnum loads...and a slight cant of the front sight would correct that, but I will probably shoot much more .22 LR's, so I'll leave it be.

I bought the same load as you used...CCI .22 Magnum Maxi Mags ( in bulk...1000 rounds )...anticipating the arrival of the cylinder.

Glad I got 800 rounds left...I enjoyed it way too much !!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The range test was, um, cut short, due to malfunction, though I got a few shots off between non-ignitions. The gun's transfer bar was misbehaving, doing its transfer job only part of the time. I could see that it was flopping around in its recess, apparently unattached to anything.

I have decided that I am the instigator of this debacle, getting the transfer bar out of place with a wanton wiggle of the hammer and/or trigger during the got-it-home examination. Anyway, I started up my air compressor and blew some air in there, just because it was something to do. Son of Sea Biscuit, it worked! The transfer bar is back where it is supposed to be, I think, under spring pressure and moving like it oughta. Tomorrow morning I will return to the range and punch some more paper.

If you ever own one of these guns, and make a malfunction-causing maneuver like I did, feel free to do the compressed air trick. There is no change for my expertise.

10. phideaux

VT, Why didn't you just blow into it while you were at the range.....?

Maybe the HOT air would not have had same affect..eh?

:D
    Jim

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Oh VT got his leg yanked.

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I'm thinking hot air would have been OK, But the velocity wouldn't be there.

(I try to keep alternating accessible legs, to keep them evened out.)

13. phideaux

See.....I'm always here to lend that helping hand.

Now I'm really interested in hearing how that wind blowin fix is gonna turn out on that EAA.
    (see how I jumped back on topic :D)

Jim

14. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It does appear that I can find that out in the morning. Weather forecast is good, and no other commitments until the PM. I've decided to make the (grandparents +) cemetery run this weekend, because it's an hour drive each way.

15. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yesterday I finally got to shoot the gun some. Functions fine (I am obviously a genius gunsmith). Nice trigger too.My usual incompetent shooting produced a 4" group centered about 3" left of my aimpoint, at 10 yards. Need to shoot some with the LR cylinder before whining again.

There is vanishingly little recoil shooting 22 Mag from this gun - significant noise though. I fired a round without the muffs to check.