Ruger Talk Forums banner

durablue spray

6K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  buster40c 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
I am actually of 2 minds about this.

As an owner, I think that is pretty cool and would like to see your results too.

As a buyer, I am thinking this will be another way to hide problems with a potential purchase.

Usually, if someone such as the pawn shop is selling a gun, they are not going to go thru the expense of rebluing. They, try to minimize rust and/or pitting, but it is always pretty easy to pick up on if you examine it carefully in good light.

If this stuff works as good as it claims, then it might be impossible to see just how bad a shape the gun is in. Especially if all they did was just spray on a few coats to cover the rust and fill in the pitting without sanding/steel wooling/etc all the rust and stuff away properly first.

I'm not sure I like this at all :confused:

So, it will be interesting to hear how it works for you

Doc

#4 ·
I will take before, during and after pics.
I was wondering what's best way to close off the barrel and the cylinder chambers? I was thinking put snap caps or empty casings in the cylinder. Not sure about the barrel.

#7 ·
HUH..... I hadn't thought about those ear plugs. Yup cotton balls could work also.
I need to start stripping the gun down and have it ready to go.
I also need take the before pics. I find taking pics of a gun outside are better than those taken inside with a flash.
I have all kinds of things to be doing. To bad I am a really procrastinating old fart.
I saw a movie quote I thought was pretty good. Live for nothing but die for something.

#13 ·
^^^ to funny....."akin to blowing your nose on your shirt tail". I sure seem to have missed out on some things. I think VT you have to be a *******.

#16 · (Edited)
Update I sprayed the gun parts today and they look pretty good. I think once re-assembled the gun are going to look really good. I put about 4 coats on the parts letting them flash for 10 minutes between coats. I do see a bit of orange peel look and I missed two spots. The can was empty after the 4th coat. This paint dries fast and hard. I shook the heck out of the can before each coat for 3 minutes so the hardener evidently mixed real well.
I think I am going to be pleased with the look after the guns are together again. It would be great if I can take a good pic of the end result.
Here are the parts after sprayed and dry. I know the pic sucks bit the parts look good.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Here they are assembled. I think they came out better than I expected. A good black blued finish.
I have some new cocobolo grips coming Monday for the Taurus. The grips came in today and I installed them.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
It isn't mistaken for blued but it looks really good IMO. I have to say I really like it better than the stock finish on the Taurus. The results do look better than I expected. I recently read that Rustoleum appliance epoxy paint could be used on guns. I checked at hardware and they didn't stock it in Rustoleum but they do usually have it in ACE brand. Funny all the black was sold out. I just wonder if some guns got painted. I don't see to many black appliances. I might get a can just to try it on some metal to see how it compares to DuraBlue. I think the Ace brand was around $12.

#22 ·
Durablu is supposedly chip, fade, and rust resistant. The paint is really hard even though it is a thin coat. None of the numbers or roll marks were covered over. I so impressed with the look of the Taurus now. The Model 60 looks really good also. I have to say the end result finish with this product was better than I expected.
Yeah VT I doubt that I will be throwing the guns on concrete to see how chip resistant they are.

#24 ·
I had used the Renaissance wax on the Colt and decided to leave it like it was. The ren wax really does a good job bringing luster back to any gun I have tried it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.