durablue spray

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by buster40c, Sep 13, 2016.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

2. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I'm looking forward to seeing the results. Post some pics when you're finished!

3. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

I am actually of 2 minds about this.

As an owner, I think that is pretty cool and would like to see your results too.

As a buyer, I am thinking this will be another way to hide problems with a potential purchase.

Usually, if someone such as the pawn shop is selling a gun, they are not going to go thru the expense of rebluing. They, try to minimize rust and/or pitting, but it is always pretty easy to pick up on if you examine it carefully in good light.

If this stuff works as good as it claims, then it might be impossible to see just how bad a shape the gun is in. Especially if all they did was just spray on a few coats to cover the rust and fill in the pitting without sanding/steel wooling/etc all the rust and stuff away properly first.

I'm not sure I like this at all :confused:

So, it will be interesting to hear how it works for you

Doc

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  4. buster40c

I will take before, during and after pics.
    I was wondering what's best way to close off the barrel and the cylinder chambers? I was thinking put snap caps or empty casings in the cylinder. Not sure about the barrel.

5. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Cotton balls, Buster

Soft, fills the space, easy to put in and take out.

Doc

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I use those sponge ear plugs ...

Jim

7. buster40c

HUH..... I hadn't thought about those ear plugs. Yup cotton balls could work also.
    I need to start stripping the gun down and have it ready to go.
    I also need take the before pics. I find taking pics of a gun outside are better than those taken inside with a flash.
    I have all kinds of things to be doing. To bad I am a really procrastinating old fart.
    I saw a movie quote I thought was pretty good. Live for nothing but die for something.

8. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

It was from that last Rambo movie, Buster

"This is what we do. Who we are. Live for nothing or die for something. Your call." - Stallone

Doc

9. buster40c

^^ Yup that's who said it.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Durablue Spray, eh? More of the newfangled foolishness, I'm thinking. Part & parcel of a world where sarsaparilla is dang near impossible to find, and Moxie tastes like dishwater.

:gaah:

11. buster40c

I never tasted dishwater.

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well shucks, Buster, you ain't no kid; how have you avoided a glass that wasn't rinsed good? I think you know deep down inside that spraying on gun blue is akin to blowing your nose on your shirttail. It may clear your nose, but it just ain't right.

:eek:

13. buster40c

^^^ to funny....."akin to blowing your nose on your shirt tail". I sure seem to have missed out on some things. I think VT you have to be a redneck.

14. buster40c

I decided to use the DuraBlue on my Taurus PT92 and Marlin model 60. The Marlin is getting a total strip and polish. I sure am hoping the finished bluing results are good.

Attached Files:

15. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I'll be waiting to see how it goes......hope it turns out!

16. buster40c

Update I sprayed the gun parts today and they look pretty good. I think once re-assembled the gun are going to look really good. I put about 4 coats on the parts letting them flash for 10 minutes between coats. I do see a bit of orange peel look and I missed two spots. The can was empty after the 4th coat. This paint dries fast and hard. I shook the heck out of the can before each coat for 3 minutes so the hardener evidently mixed real well.
    I think I am going to be pleased with the look after the guns are together again. It would be great if I can take a good pic of the end result.
    Here are the parts after sprayed and dry. I know the pic sucks bit the parts look good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  17. buster40c

Here they are assembled. I think they came out better than I expected. A good black blued finish.
    I have some new cocobolo grips coming Monday for the Taurus. The grips came in today and I installed them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  18. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Looks pretty good!

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Wow, that looks good! :Cooltu:

20. buster40c

It isn't mistaken for blued but it looks really good IMO. I have to say I really like it better than the stock finish on the Taurus. The results do look better than I expected. I recently read that Rustoleum appliance epoxy paint could be used on guns. I checked at hardware and they didn't stock it in Rustoleum but they do usually have it in ACE brand. Funny all the black was sold out. I just wonder if some guns got painted. I don't see to many black appliances. I might get a can just to try it on some metal to see how it compares to DuraBlue. I think the Ace brand was around $12.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016