Dual Battery testing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, May 29, 2017.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I think I'm on the right track here, but yall can help steer me.
    I dont have a battery load tester.

My truck is a Dodge Cummins diesel, and it uses 2 batteries.
    They are 1000CCA , 150 reserve CA,
    So they are big heavy duty batteries, hooked up in parallel.

Problem .....last 3-4 times I started the truck, they had that draggy ,weak sound.

So today I throw the big battery charger on them and set it at 35 amps.

Its taking 30 amps for a minute, then drops to 20 amps and stays there,
    and....I get this hot acid gas smell really bad, almost immediately.

So I shut it off, disconnected both batteries.

Put the charger on the driver side battery for 5 minutes, no smell, and charger droped to 10 amp, and stayed there (why?). Removed charger, checked voltage @13.2 v. thats good.

Put the charger on the passenger side battery, within 30 seconds I had that acid gas smell, charger did drop to 15 amps, and stayed there.
    Removed charger and checked voltage @11.2 v.

I'm assuming that the passenger battery is bad.

But, I thought that the charger would drop to 0 amps on a good battery, so maybe the driver side is weak also....

Did I do this right?

Any other suggestions?

I know that all batteries in a pack will dive down to the level of the weakest one.
    I think I gotta buy 2 new batteries...[​IMG]. man they are spensive.

Jim

2. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Yep Jim, one dies, and they will both die. Both my boats have dual batteries, and I just buy them in sets when one begins to fail. Are you running a maintenance free battery?

3. phideaux

No, I can , and do add distilled water if needed,
    But they have never been low on water.

I don't know the age of them ....that's my problem

They are Duralast Gold.

Jim

4. havasu

havasu In the army now..

As new as your truck is, have the dealer prorate those batteries and get a fresh set.

5. phideaux

Thanks for the compliment,
    but, my truck is a 2005, :teehee:, I bought it because it looks like a new one,
    The Cummins Dodges sell for more than new Dodge trucks .:dunno:

and these are not the original batterries.
    They are Autozone batterries, made by Johnson Controls.
    Suppose to be one of the best batteries .

I cant find a date on them, or I would take them to Autozone.

Jim

6. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Harbor Frieght has a load meter for around 30 bucks.

7. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Autozone will find the date.

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Yep Autozone can tell manufacture date and they can also load test the batteries. I would have them check the alternator also. Running low batteries can also ruin the starter due to low amperage from batteries. Yes a weak battery will drag down the better battery.
    You can bet if the starter seems dragging then real soon it will not start due to battery not holding amps even though it has good voltage. I believe the battery showing just over 11 volts it is bad. Have Autozone or whomever does the test do a load test. If the battery is not holding good amperage then a load test will dive to bad.

I would ask a Dodge dealer what battery amp is stock for your truck. From what I am seeing your truck uses an MT65 battery which is what most diesel p/ups use. I really don't think you need 1000 CCA batteries. 18 wheelers seldom use that high cold cranking amps. You don't live in Alaska where it gets that cold.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...30&Title=Mega-Tron+Plus+-+85+Months+-+850+CCA

Check with any heavy truck dealer as sometimes they have batteries on sale. When I was checking battery prices Autozone was one of the highest priced. WM and Napa actually were the two best priced. The warranty time makes big difference on pricing.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  9. phideaux

I pulled the battery that checked low voltage, and it has a sticker on the side 9/12. Instantly starts boiling/gas fumes, with charger on it, and still only 11V.:rolleyes:

So, that seems a short life of 4 1/2 years. Who knows if they were maintained or not, as I've only had them since last Sept.(9 mo)

Im on the Cummins forum , and those guys talk about 10 years+ on batteries, if maintained properly.

Yes , the 850 CCA @0 deg, is what they are , 1000 CCA at 32deg.

Thats what the factory uses , and factory are Mopar @$250 each.

Johnson Controls makes most of these batteries ,The Autozone and the WalMart Everstart are sam battery just labeled different, $60 diff in price.

Autozone $154, Walmart $93 ea.:rolleyes:

I have one old battery in the shed for a core, and the bad one from the truck, and will keep the good one from the truck.

Will repace both. Probably, WalMart, cheapest, then Napa is $123.

The Cummins boys like the Walmart batteries.

If I get 4-5 years for $186 , I'm happy.:)Maybe 10 years in my case (1000 miles a year)as I'm a picky nut on maintenance.

Jim

10. buster40c

IMO from experience 5 years on a battery life is par for the course. That seems to be when the batteries start not holding amperage. That's with a 5 year warranty battery not a 1 year warranty battery.
    $250 at Dodge???? That figures........Chrysler Mopar dealer rip off prices. Mopar parts have always been higher than Ford or Chevy. Chrysler even has a new product 5 year capture on their products from being copied. Try buying a new set of brake pads for a fairly new Dodge and you will not find the parts at any of the big auto parts stores.

11. phideaux

Ok, I did decided that the one on the passenger side was a bad battery.

So I went to Walmart , bought 2 new Johnson Controls, Everstart Super Maxx , Type 65N, 850 CCA a 0 deg.

Man what a pain to install with those felt blankets around them.

I did pull all connections, for both batteries , and the crossover, which were some rusty , but no white type oxidation,
    Cleaned up like a new penny,
    Used dielectric lube on all bolts, nuts, terminals,

Hit the key....bang ....never fired up that quick..

COOL....I'm happy.

Jim

12. buster40c

Did you have WM load test the battery? They can do that at the WM near me.

13. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Jim, I am ashamed to say I know diddly about checking batteries. I know my road tractors had 4 batteries. My mechanic would check them every time the tractor was serviced. I never replaced the whole battery bank, just one at a time as they needed replacing. I would keep a tractor 5 or 6 years. 700,000 miles plus. Only had one to hit the 1,000,000 mile mark. I'm trying to recall if I ever replaced all 4 batteries on one, even doing them one at a time. I can't be sure, been a long while, but I don't think so.

Anyways, seems like you have your problem solved!

14. phideaux

No. I dint.

Once I got the 2 batterries disconnected, and went thru the Volt test and recharge attemts, I knew one was definetly bad.

They are both almost 5 years old, so I just decided to replace them.
    I used the bad one, and an old battery I had, for cores and kept the good one.

Like I said, I've never had the truck fire up like it did with the new ones.

Hey $198 OTD, and they are rated as some of the best batteries by the Cummins boys. (gotta be Johnson Controls).

I ordered a battery minder to help keep these full of life when the toy sits for weeks . I keep my solar 8 battery pack on one all the time. Last forever.

https://www.amazon.com/KeyLine-Char...&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=keyline+chargers&psc=1

Jim

15. buster40c

My old one amp charger quit so I was wanting a new battery charger/minder for my p/up because it sits sometimes for weeks. I ordered one from the link. Thanks Jim for the link.

16. phideaux

yeah, there is a big difference in trickle chargers, and a battery (5 stage) maintainer.

Thes 5 stage devices are very smart, and will never over charge.

The only one I will tust on my 8 battery pack for the house when SHTF.
    Those batteries are over $200 each.

Jim

17. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,

Here in Az I found out regardless of the battery that you buy, expect about 3 years of usage. The heat really eats them up including the Optima's. One trick you might try is to drop an aspirin in each cell if you are short on money. That will help excite the lead inside the battery and keep it going for a while. I know it sounds like an old wives tale but it does work. I have done that to my Model A's before and it got me by. Good luck!!
    Tommy