dry firing a ruger sr9c

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Mrdaputer, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Mrdaputer

Mrdaputer Member

Hi guys My older brother is picking up a sr9c today. It is his first pistol. I have taught him all the safety rules till cows come home. I have taken him to the outdoor range many times. He just passed his cc class. I do a lot of firing my 40 with snap caps. My question should he invest in snap caps for the sr9c? Some pistols almose require it others ppl say don't bother. Will extensive dry firing without snap caps cause any harm on his new pistol?

2. repair

repair New Member

Ruger states in its book for the 9c do not use snap caps

3. Mrdaputer

Mrdaputer Member

cool thank you for your reply. I do wonder why tho? Guess we will find out when he gets one and look at the book

4. DocGlock

DocGlock New Member

I want to know where in the manual it states to NOT use snap caps. The following is a direct copy and paste from the pdf manual:

DRY FIRING
    Going through the actions of cocking, aiming and pulling the trigger on an
    unloaded gun is known as “dry firing.” It can be useful to learn the “feel” of your
    pistol. Be certain that the pistol is fully unloaded (both the chamber and
    magazine are empty) and that the pistol is pointing in a safe direction even when

you are practicing dry firing. The
    RUGER® SR-SERIES pistols can be dryfired
    without damage to the striker or other components as long as an empty
    magazine is inserted.
    CAUTION:

Dry firing your RUGER® SR-SERIES with the magazine
    removed may result in damage or unnecessary wear to the magazine disconnect
    mechanism and/or striker.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  5. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

Wow I have had my SR40C for almost a year. I always dryfire with a double checked M/T magazine. But i was thinking of ordering SNAP CAPS from Amazon. Glad i haven't yet. THANKS !

6. TXRuger

TXRuger New Member

+1. Me too!

7. bayourat

bayourat New Member

I checked my manual and don't see it anywhere.

8. Mrdaputer

Mrdaputer Member

My brother picked up his sr9c and loves it. The book says keep a mag in when dry fireing that is all nothing about snap caps. Poster must have gotten confused with a different pistol.

9. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

If one removes the mag disconnect you can dryfire...otherwise I've always used amag w/snap caps.

10. D_Ruger

D_Ruger New Member

I was about to say I use snap caps all the time. As long as the magazine is in the gun you can dry fire even without a snap cap. Fantastic guns!

11. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

The snap caps help in working on malfunction drills as well.

12. mallardhunter

mallardhunter New Member

The striker pin lands against the magazine block when the magazine is removed and it will damage the block or strike or both. That it's why the state to not dry fire with out the magazine in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

13. Range

Range New Member

I've dry fired Rugers and other brand pistols for years without snap caps and never damaged anything. It is an essential tool for marksmanship in my opinion. The only guns that you should not dry fire are rim fire guns. If you choose to use snap caps, they certainly won't hurt anything.

14. tburchett

tburchett New Member

Be careful using SNAP CAPS most are not made very well & from what I've seen they chip apart weather brass or plastic & leave little pieces all in your gun. That is why I don't use them & I do plenty of dry fire practice & never had any problems from my Rugers. I have a LCP, LC9, & 9E.

15. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I never use snap caps when dry firing my 40c. The gun is 3 years old and no problems other than had a few bad WW ammo that failed to fire. SR40C is an excellent gun IMO.

16. Range

Range New Member

Just want to clarify my earlier post. The SR series Rugers, as others have stated, should only be dry fired with an empty magazine inserted.

17. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

If it makes you feel better then their is nothing wrong with using snap caps if they are of good quality. Remember though, they do wear out after extensive firing and that 's why they come 5 or so to a package. When dry firing my 1911 or Commander I don't use snap caps and I always make sure I have a magazine in them. In fact if you want to work the action on a 1911, a snap cap is a good way to learn how to jack the slide faster and with a little more of the real action. Just my HMO!!
    Tommy