dry fire sr9c

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by chrissr9c, Feb 29, 2016.

1. chrissr9c

chrissr9c New Member

hi guys new to the forum and i would like to know if dry firing an sr9c will hurt anything i just got a crimson lazer and want to practice

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RugerTalk,

Thanks for joining.

I do not own a SR9C ,so I cant tell ya,
    what does the owners manual say?

Jim

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Like Jim said read your manual. I have an SR40C and it can be dry fired according to my manual. It doesn't cost all that much to buy some snap caps.

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I had an SR9c for a short time. The manual states not to dry fire without the magazine in place or it can damage the striker assy.
    Just for positive protection of the firing pin, I use snap caps when I dry fire anything these days.
    :welcome: Welcome to the forum.

5. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

Personally, I dry-fire my pistols several dozen times each week. Never a problem! Why, you might ask? Well, HERE is the secret!

6. chrissr9c

chrissr9c New Member

thanks for the info i will get some snap caps just to be safe

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Best I can tell, the reason you are not to dry fire w/out a magazine in place is because of the magazine safety.
    The mag safety blocks the striker when no mag is in place and can (or will) damage the striker.
    Some people remove the mag safety for that very reason. I don't like magazine safetys but that's just me.

8. buster40c

I have a question about this. I clean a gun then I always make sure the gun is all functioning correctly. This mean racking the slide which also cocks a semi auto. So if the manual says don't dry fire then how am I supposed to uncock a semi auto without dry firing it after cleaning it? I guess I have to put a snap cap in the mag before pulling the trigger? I am not going to put up a gun with the gun cocked.
    My new S&W Victory say do not dry fire. Do they make 22lr snap caps?

9. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Snap caps are great. Have many uses!
    Also what everyone else has said. Take a look the the owners manual.

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yes, but they will wear out with use.

11. buster40c

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  12. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

Those things are a waste of money! What you need are some of THESE.

13. Gabby

Gabby New Member

Gather up your fired 22 brass and use them, they're already paid for and after you've dinged up the rim enough just throw them away.
    You can do the same with center fire cases too, just be sure you don't mix in a live one. I guarantee, it will spoil your day. That's true with snap caps as well.
    Carelessness will bite you!. I only use the center fire for around 10 snaps because the dimple gets pretty deep and doesn't cushion the firing pin any more.
    Then they get the primer knocked out and reloaded for another day. :D
    Gabby

14. bob9E

bob9E New Member

Just bought the Ruger 9E, states the same thing in my 9E manual " dry fire with empty magazine ONLY!"