Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it okay to dry fire my Ruger LC9? Will it cause any damage to the handgun?

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
Yes it's ok I did it many times after I got mine.you still have to put a empty mag in it first.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Blaze. I gotta get the practice in on stabilizing the wrist.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Dry-firing pistols or revolvers a good way to work the trigger in to be smooth and also a way of practice for trigger control. Most people think it is bad on rimfire , i have dry fired my Colt Huntsman a lot since I got it new in the early 70's with no problem. In the Ruger SR22 handbook says it is ok to fry fire it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dry-firing pistols or revolvers a good way to work the trigger in to be smooth and also a way of practice for trigger control. Most people think it is bad on rimfire , i have dry fired my Colt Huntsman a lot since I got it new in the early 70's with no problem. In the Ruger SR22 handbook says it is ok to fry fire it.
Depends on the gun, some rimfires will be damaged by dry firing, Ruger makes a practice of designing their guns to allow dry firing. Don

·
Registered
204 Posts
Depends on the gun, some rimfires will be damaged by dry firing, Ruger makes a practice of designing their guns to allow dry firing. Don
"Ruger makes a practice of designing their guns to allow dry firing."

That I did not know, and commented on another site that dry fired the new Ruger American Rimfire rifle. Man my dad would get out of his grave and kick my tail for a week if I dry fired a rimfire anything!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the tip of the firing pin break off from dry firing a Ruger Mark I target model. I also had the hammer spur crystallize and break off from dry firing an old model .357 Magnum Blackhawk. Long term dry firing is not what guns were designed for, and, while doing it occasionally may not hurt them, I strongly recommend using snap caps.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I just got my first Ruger SR1911 this last week and while reading through
the instruction manual it states and I quote "The Ruger SR1911 pistols can be dry fired without damage to the firing pin or other componets" end of quote.
This is all I can tell you about the 1911. I also have a Ruger GP100 that I have had over twenty years and I DO use snap caps for dry firing that weapon or you can use expended rounds, however snap caps are preferred.
Tommy

·
Registered
2 Posts

All the same, dry shooting is best practiced on special training pistols, like the Sirt we all know. And in order not to get bored in the first hour, you need a virtual shooting range. There are a lot of similar offers on the market, I will recommend an inexpensive analogue software - target constructor and pro target constructor

·
Registered
44 Posts
For my .22s i use #6 yellow wall anchors. They fit perfectly and are much cheaper than snap caps. I just ran 200 dry fires with my S&W 617.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can dry fire the LC9. I did it numerous times as I tried to get used to it long pull trigger. No issues from dry firing it or any other center fire pistol I have owned. When it comes to rim fire guns dry firing is not advised unless you place a snap cap into the chamber.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts