Dry fire question

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by RugersRock, Aug 24, 2013.

1. RugersRock

RugersRock New Member

Is it okay to dry fire my Ruger LC9? Will it cause any damage to the handgun?

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

2. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes it's ok I did it many times after I got mine.you still have to put a empty mag in it first.

3. RugersRock

RugersRock New Member

Thanks Blaze. I gotta get the practice in on stabilizing the wrist.

4. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1377441544.813370.jpg mine work just fine I dry fire all these

5. RugersRock

RugersRock New Member

Nice!

6. LCR-lover

LCR-lover Member

Dry-firing pistols or revolvers a good way to work the trigger in to be smooth and also a way of practice for trigger control. Most people think it is bad on rimfire , i have dry fired my Colt Huntsman a lot since I got it new in the early 70's with no problem. In the Ruger SR22 handbook says it is ok to fry fire it.

7. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

Depends on the gun, some rimfires will be damaged by dry firing, Ruger makes a practice of designing their guns to allow dry firing. Don

8. RugersRock

RugersRock New Member

Cool

9. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

"Ruger makes a practice of designing their guns to allow dry firing."

That I did not know, and commented on another site that dry fired the new Ruger American Rimfire rifle. Man my dad would get out of his grave and kick my tail for a week if I dry fired a rimfire anything!

10. TXRuger

TXRuger New Member

Snap caps don't cost much and last very long. I have 2 sets for every caliber I own.

11. RugersRock

RugersRock New Member

Thank you very much for this link. I'm gonna get me some.

12. ruddy

ruddy New Member

I had the tip of the firing pin break off from dry firing a Ruger Mark I target model. I also had the hammer spur crystallize and break off from dry firing an old model .357 Magnum Blackhawk. Long term dry firing is not what guns were designed for, and, while doing it occasionally may not hurt them, I strongly recommend using snap caps.

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I just got my first Ruger SR1911 this last week and while reading through
    the instruction manual it states and I quote "The Ruger SR1911 pistols can be dry fired without damage to the firing pin or other componets" end of quote.
    This is all I can tell you about the 1911. I also have a Ruger GP100 that I have had over twenty years and I DO use snap caps for dry firing that weapon or you can use expended rounds, however snap caps are preferred.
    Tommy