Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the last shot on the 10/22 does not lock the magazine back. If I forget how many shots I have fired, I end snapping the trigger on an empty magazine. Will this damage the firing pin over time?
Thank you

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can dry-fire a 10/22. You aren't going to cause terrible damage by dry-firing it at the end of a mag. If you have a 10/22 manual, it even talks about when to dry-fire the gun.

·
Registered
369 Posts
the last shot on the 10/22 does not lock the magazine back. If I forget how many shots I have fired, I end snapping the trigger on an empty magazine. Will this damage the firing pin over time?
Thank you
A little bit of FYI
You don't have to purchase .22 caliber dry fire snap caps you can DIY your own by using #4 x 7/8s dry wall anchors as snap caps. this will work ! I have used them in my .22 LR Rim Fire Revolvers , Rifles , Pistols.

Everbilt #4-6 x 7/8 in. Yellow Ribbed Plastic Anchor with Pan-Head Combo Drive Screw (50-Pieces)-804122 - The Home Depot

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can dry-fire a 10/22. You aren't going to cause terrible damage by dry-firing it at the end of a mag. If you have a 10/22 manual, it even talks about when to dry-fire the gun.
Thanks everybody

·
Registered
369 Posts
The majority of rim fire returns to Ruger are broken firing pins and extractors ! The manual says dry fire is OK but better safe with a dry wall anchor then sorry with out one.

·
Registered
369 Posts
But then again the Majority of the returns to Ruger with Rim Fires are due to broken Firing Pins , & Extractors better safe with a dry wall anchor to dry fire then sorry without one.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That will not work when the last round is fired. With out a hold open like the TC T22, yo do not know when you are empty and can fire on an empty chamber. However, Ruger has seen to that with spring loaded firing pin etc. to prevent chamber dings.
Hum I count my shots and have not fired on an empty chamber .According to Ruger the majority of Rim Fire Returns are broken firing pins & Broken Extractors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts