drones

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VThillman, Nov 13, 2015.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Tractor Supply is advertising quadracopter drones for sale for $100 today only. Now every a-hole out there can own a drone.

I am a notoriously lousy wingshot.

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

For $100 it can't be good if even worth taking home.
    You don't have to be a good shot. Just shoot a shotgun up into the air and it will be scared away. Just ask Joe.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

3. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

I can't wait for Amazon to deliver packages by drone. It'll be like shooting skeet but you get a prize!!$$

4. havasu

havasu In the army now..

...but now the FAA wants to license them all. That should kill that fun quickly.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Will the drones fly like skeet and clay pigeons? If so then I need to get my old target shotgun out and start warming up again.

Tommy

6. Ernesto

I need a wall I can hang them on.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Just remember, they have cameras on them.
    So shoot from your drone blind. :cheesy:

8. buster40c

That's a good one Magnum!

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

My shotgun is loaded with Drone Buster #8 shot....

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I was kind of thinking of using double 00 buck myself but each to his own.

Tommy

11. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

Attached Files:

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I would not recommend shooting at the type of drone Remington has pictured on that box.
    As I understand it those things will return fire.

13. hodge

hodge New Member

You bunch of curmudgeons.:D
    Lets look at the other side of the coin. If a citizen wants to own a quadcopter and fly it within the law and responsibly, he/she has the legal right to do that. I own a $79 quadcopter, which is both more than capable, has a camera that takes stills and video, and I do not fly it anywhere but my own property. If you guys believe in the Constitution, then you are hypocrites to deny a law-abiding citizen from owning a quadcopter. Plus, you are already judging them of breaking the law- guilty before proven innocent- before they even buy the thing on black Friday.
    I do not get the hatred of quadcopters. Most of them will not fly in windy conditions, they are not stealthy or quiet, they are not capable of peeping on others without drawing attention easily, they aren't easy to fly in tight quarters, etc. In other words, the bulk of the budget quadcopters are not the spy machines that many imagine them to be. They are fun, they open up possibilities for cool photos and videos, and they are a variation of RC planes and helicopters- the freedom to fly on the cheap safe, since the operator is still on the ground. Simply put, they are much more a novelty than they are a threat.
    There- not an exhaustive look at the other side, but enough to be worth considering.
    My take- I am much more threatened by someone shooting over my head at a drone, not thinking about where those loads may wind up, than I am about what that drone might be doing to me. And, as of yet, I've NEVER had a foreign drone over my property. For that matter, mine is the only one that I've seen around here.
    All this piss and vinegar, over a non-issue.

14. Ernesto

It's merely a reflex action when something flies overhead.

15. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Yep, we are just a bunch or curmudgeons! I myself would love to have one, but I'm sure I would crash it no more than 5 seconds after pulling it out of the box!

16. Ernesto

I bought my oldest kid (27 yrs old) one for last Christmas. It was only 120 bucks but it is fun to fly. Battery life is quite short. When they make them stealthy and they will it may change the game.

17. havasu

havasu In the army now..

My son in law wants one for Christmas but damn, them things are just way too much money for an old retired guy like myself.

18. buster40c

I had an inexpensive helicopter and just a slight breeze would take it away. I gave it away at Christmas to a guy at work that has kids. I don't have a problem with anyone buying one, just keep it out of my property air space.

19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Oops, don't know about anybody else but I was just having fun with and joking about the idea of using drones as a target.
    Of course everyone has the right to play with flying machines.
    Honestly I don't see a problem with them as long as the operator respects their neighbors.
    When they get cheaper and/or better I'll be playing with them myself.

Now, back to the curmudgeon fun. :D
    jeeper1's #6 shot should be safe to shoot up into the air as it will loose it's velocity and fall harmlessly to the ground after it takes out the target.
    I would not recommend anything larger than #4 lead shot for airborne targets.
    If you want to be safe as possible use #8 shot. (Less effective range though).