Don't know what to do.

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Andyman85, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Andyman85

Andyman85 New Member

I'm fairly new to rifles and not sure about scope rings or scopes. I Got an Ruger American in 308 and don't know if this scope is decent. I like nikon because I have one for my 10/22(3x9). Do I need something better than this nikon? What scope rings would you guys go with?)low. Med. High. And what brand? Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Attached Files:

2. Andyman85

Andyman85 New Member

Or this scope

Attached Files:

3. 00b5

00b5 Member

I went with the Nikon M-308 BDC for my Ruger Scout. No problems with it so far! As far as low, medium, or high mounts, that is a personal choice to get the "fit."

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Either one will work fine on your Ruger American.
    A lot depends on type of shooting and how far your wnting to shoot.

With a 40 MM objective , your probably gonna need, at minimum, ,medium rings, to give clearance for objective to barrel. Its best to keep the scope as close to the barrel and reciever as possible, not sitting up in the air more than necessary. Too high and you may have trouble achieving a good cheek weld. But , then you loose the see thru ability. I dont think the American has sights though.

There are many style and types of mounts ,and rings. Again , the type of shooting your planning will determine this also.

What are you planinng ? hunting only, plinking, long distance target, some competition, just range fun short distance (100 yrds and under)??

btw, Nikon is underated IMHO, I have several mounted , and I like them.
    As matter of fact, I have a Nikon 3x9x40 BDC on one of my .308s, its great for me tohunt ot target shoot out to 200-300 yards.

Jim

5. Andyman85

Andyman85 New Member

I was going to use it for plinking, longe rage. And eventually hunting. 100 yards to 200 yards is my goal

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Of the 2 scopes you posted , I would personaly go for the second one, because I like BDC. It has more than enough magnification.
    Nikon does have good clear glass.

Solid one piece scope mounts are best, but a good picatinny rail and Burris rings will work great also. Your not looking to win any championship.:)

Let your budget get you the best setup .;)

Jim

7. Andyman85

Andyman85 New Member

What scope mounts and rail would you go with?

8. 00b5

00b5 Member

Andyman, I recently bought and outfitted a Ruger American rifle in 7mm-08. Here is what I went for... Nikon Monarch 3 4x16 BDC, Burris medium rings, assembled and bore sighted by Bass Pro. The Rifle comes with a Weaver style rail so the rings that come with the scope don't fit very well. Rings were only about $30. Other then the lousy bore sight (off the paper at 100 yds) everything works very well. I also got a Ruger bipod and extra magazine with the online coupon from Ruger when I registered it on Ruger.com. Hope this helps you. On a personal point, get a better cushion on the butt plate, that .308 will kick!
    I set mine up for hunting at 2-300 yds and target shooting at the same distances.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  9. 00b5

00b5 Member

As a afternote...Look very seriously at a muzzle brake. I put a Witt Machine muzzle break on my Gunsite Scout .308 and tamed the recoil down to almost nothing and kept the bipod from jumping off the bench. Did the same with my 7mm-08.

10. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

A bore sight is only to get you on the paper at 25 yards. Once centered at 25 yards you move out to 100 yards and should be on paper.;)