Dont just post to win something.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bikeride4fun, Mar 17, 2014.

1. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

After looking through the ATI Giveaway thread.....I was shocked by all of the members that had one or two post, and those where to enter something to win. Don't just make a post to think that you might win something. Post and be part of the forum......make a comment about a members new gun, give your view on a subject, tell or show us a new project or some new accessories that just installed on your gun. I look and see threads that has so many views but only one or two post to them.....please join in and make the forum fun and exciting..... Sorry if this sounds like a rant.....I just want this forum to grow and not be so stale......:)

2. Misty1946

Misty1946 New Member

You are right on target, when I first came in the group I was a little afraid to post was afraid to sound like a nut. But now everyone knows I am so come on folks have fun

3. bikeride4fun

Sounds good Misty1946.....thanks...

4. krss144

krss144 New Member

Good point...now that the snow is melting in my area and I have seen the sun it will be time to get out and start shooting again. I'll do my part ;)

5. bikeride4fun

6. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

VERY common thing. So long as there's something free to be had, ppl will do what it takes so long as it's easy. LoL No different than ppl equating post count with some sort of ranking of knowledge or hierarchy. Usually it's these same types that flood the "New Member" areas with the same cut and pasted response over and over and over and over and over… Sure doesn't show any meaningful welcome when it's just a carbon copy, form letter.
    I've said before that any such contest should require some sort of worthwhile contribution via posts in the forum. Exclude the "welcome" posts and other non-contributing posts.

As the "free" thing… I used to have season fix for a few diff Nascar tracks and many times saw this occur: The pre-race show would broadcast from trackside where fans could gather and watch. During the commercial breaks they'd toss out free items to the crowd. These were stuff like foam can cozies, key chain fobs, bracelets, and other similar tens that would be equal to those in the 25¢ toy machines at store exits. It was garbage promotional items yet they were free and the crowd would go crazy nuts to grab one of them. Absolutely hilarious watching grown adults clamor for the junk. Why? It was free.

7. bikeride4fun

Good points Blkhawk73.....I just want more members to be part of the forum. I was just shocked by all of the different members that made a post to the ATI Giveaway.....but I have never seen on here before......

8. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Seems to be pretty common for any forum that hosts a giveaway. It's unfortunate that those '1 post wonders' seem to be the majority of entries, and alot of times end up winning, then never post again.

Part of the 'cost of doing business'.

I will say that the Glock giveaway on a sister site was what broght me to that website and as a result to this site as well. So it does achieve the desired effect for some people at least.

9. bikeride4fun

Good point bhale187......I just hope that the "one post wonders"......will join in on the forum and not just return till the next giveaway.....

10. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Something we deal with all the time, like Bhale said, it's the "nature of the business"

11. bikeride4fun

I guess that's true..........So this is a shout out to all members then.....Participate with us, don't let this forum fade away...:(

12. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

On a very similar note… Another forum I've belonged to since it's inception some 15 years ago started having members offer up free items with the expectation that the winner then do the same with something else. All one had to do was basically post a "please enter me" response in that thread. Was amazing how many would just "me, me, me enter me". Could almost see the arms waving like a kid in class that knows the answer to the hard question. :waving: So long as the item was free ppl would respond as there was zero effort and no costs involved to the winner. Ok, I did it myself a couple times and saw this again and again. Did a third one with a twist… One had to guess my favorite model of Ruger not just do the "me, me, me enter me" thing. Anyone that was an active member that read the threads on the forum would've known the answer. SOOOOO many simply took wild guesses. Just a verrry few actually got it right. Heck, even if they were smart enough to use the search feature, it was good to go. At least they made an effort. End result…a LOT less responses and I'm darn sure it was because the greedy never take the time or make the effort to "know". they just "want". I did one more after that during Christmas and again, had the clamoring greedy ones. Never again.
    I still do the free thing now and then but it's to ppl that actually show effort and integrity.

13. bikeride4fun

That's a great idea Blkhawk73........I would always rather have a strong small group of forum members than just ones that stop by every so often........