Don't be an idiot...like me!

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Hattrix, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Hattrix

Hattrix New Member

Ok, so I bought my first gun ever last week, an SR9c and signed up for a CCW class that was held today. I figured I should shoot it before class and the range where the class was said I could shoot free one time before class. I took them up on it. Well the gun Started douuble loading, falling to eject, stove piping. I mean problem after problem. I was cursing Ruger, cursing the sales guy, cursing my luck. Just totally disappointed. The counter person asked if I cleaned it. Of course I hadn't. I cleaned it last night. Took the class today....100 rounds...not a single problem. The gun is a dream to shoot. Nice tight patterns, very light kick. Even shot well with my sprained wrist off hand. So as the title says...don't be an idiot like me!

2. Squirlnutz

Squirlnutz In the army now..

Sorry if offended. Not my intention. Ill read agin sir.

3. Squirlnutz

Squirlnutz In the army now..

So,.... You cleaned it?? Before class??
    Every THING my old man gets (fire arm) I take apart, clean,and learn everything about mechanically I can.
    I'm no expert by any means, but sometimes disappointment is the curve ( learn ) we need to increase performance, and promote safety

4. sarge1967

sarge1967 New Member

It is advisable to clean every firearm you buy prior to use. Most new one come packed in heavy oil/grease to preserve them in storage. This stuff causes issues with function just about every time.

Glad to hear that it worked well for your class. Enjoy your new pistol and stay safe.

5. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

Probably not a bad idea to clean before using, but your problem is most unusual. I have shot many new handguns before cleaning them and have never had a problem, i do always check the bore to make sure it is free of oil or grease though. I shot my SR9c 60 rounds before cleaning and it was really clean, but quite dry, and i shot 80 rounds threw my SR1911 on the way home from the gun shop. Both of them have always performed flawlessly.

6. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Glad eveything worked out....now enjoy that SR9C.......

7. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

When I purchased my SR40C (Also first gun i ever owned) last December. I took a Handgun Course 101 (Sheepdog Tactical , Stafford, TX). They must have seen stuff like this before. before we left for the Range (from the class part) they asked if anyone needed their guns checked for cleaning and or lube (They have safety in mind always). mine was right from factory , unfired.....BUT it was over lubed, so they cleaned it and re lubed mine for me.

8. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

Like many, I do clean a new firearm before shooting it. In reading posts on rugerforum.com, I decided to clean the striker channel of my new SR9C before shooting it as some had said they found machining debris there.

Took it apart and found nothing but a clean channel, no harm but in this case, no benefit.

9. nbk13nw

nbk13nw New Member

Yup most are shipped using cosmoline these days. They can gum up pretty quick causing timing issues. I always detail strip before the first range session.

10. chenzo

chenzo New Member

I don't think I've ever fired a new gun without complete disassembly and cleaning before hand. I know for a fact that I had the LC9 and the P95 stripped bare before I shot them both.

11. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Live and learn... I can't lie that I did something similar on my first semi auto handgun. And I got so frustrated at it I traded it next day ... I found out the. To always clean first then no problems later

12. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

Most of the pistols that i have bought have been quite dry, none have been covered with grease. The only one that was cleaned completely as soon as i got it home was my LC9 and it was so soaked in a heavy nasty smelling oil that i didn't want to even touch it before a complete cleaning. Most of the others i just had to make sure that they were properly lubricated, except for one that had a lot of grit in the mag release, i can't really say that i have found much metal shavings or dirt in any of them.

13. confederate

confederate New Member

I clean every gun I buy before shooting it. If it has malfunctions and you didn't clean it first then you will have to clean it and shoot it again just to find out if it was a cleaning issue that caused the malfunctions. I prefer to eliminate that right off the bat. If I shoot it clean and it has a problem then I know it's the gun and not cleaning. Ammo is to expensive to waste